PDA

View Full Version : The RTV Discussion

G-Man
12 Apr 2008, 03:45pm
Its a split percentage of those who like rtv and use it, and those who are annoyed by it. Those who know me from a year ago, know that i get pretty annoyed when the map is changed after the first 5 minutes of playing it, and then that repeats on the next map. This is because every time we try a map, people dont play it for even a single round and automatically type in rtv. Not only that but when the vote comes up, most people press 1 which switches us to usually a shitty map.

RTV is a great thing to use when your on a map that NO ONE wants to playand when people are feeling up for a CERTAIN map. But it gets rediculous when we have new maps that we are testing and people rtv in the first round. People are afraid of change and just want to play the same old crap. Or they are really picky. Since we cant change the people, unfortunetly, we should change the system...

Use this thread to discuss what you think and what u think should be done.

I honestly think we should have rtv be enabled on each map after 15 minutes of gameplay. the map is usually rtved before that. This allows people to try out a map for a good amount of time, and if they REALLY dont like it, they rtv it later on. Also, can rtvs set the new map AFTER the round, i dont like how it switches right away. OR you guys can just get rid of rtv completly and keep the end map vote at the end of each game...

SpikedRocker
12 Apr 2008, 06:58pm
I agree. The RTV vote after 5 minutes seems to be an all around problem for any server (I remember one server, not ZM, do 5 RTV after 5 minutes in a row) I if not a time limit to start RTV there should be a round limit, say 5 rounds.

High
12 Apr 2008, 07:24pm
I disagree. Right now there is an issue with US escape where the map that is voted for at the end does not turn out to be the map voted for.(For example, we voted for ATIX_Helicopter and it went to elevator_escape, or we voted for Elevator and went to boat_escape 6, etc.) And quite simply, because you dont want the map, and half the server doesn't want the map, they are going to want to rtv, regardless. And 5 rounds? Thats bloody 25-40 minutes, depending on the map.

And Testing? when are they actually testing any maps on this server. If you want to playtest a new map, start your own server.

I'm sorry to be so blunt about it, But the so called "Arguements" i'm reading from both of you are completely baseless and pointless.

Smallsasaurus
12 Apr 2008, 07:43pm
Yeah, I really don't think there is a problem with rocking the vote. Sure sometimes you don't even get a full 2 rounds of a map or you might have to replay the same map over and over, but if over half the people in the server don't want to play that map anymore, why should they have too? Democracy rules and if you don't agree with the call, you are in the minority at the time, so suck it up. Making people play a map for a long period of time that they don't want to anymore is just going to make them not want to play, which isn't a good thing.

I agree that it can be annoying sometimes, but so are some of the maps and playing the same map for 40 minutes.

G-Man
13 Apr 2008, 11:10am
And Testing? when are they actually testing any maps on this server. If you want to playtest a new map, start your own server.

I'm sorry to be so blunt about it, But the so called "Arguements" i'm reading from both of you are completely baseless and pointless.

My arguments are pointless? what are yours then? How do you test how a map runs with PLAYERS in it if your on your own server by yourself? Bots? please, you cant even get zombie mod on your own server... And welcome to the system n00b, if a new map is out, one of the admins runs it on a server and sees how it plays... Its done more often than you think.

If you dont mind switching maps, playing it for a few minutes, than switching again, playing the same map all the time, than you have nothing to complain about. But frankly, im tired of playing the same damn maps when the serves are loaded with so many good ones...

G-Man
13 Apr 2008, 11:14am
Yeah, I really don't think there is a problem with rocking the vote. Sure sometimes you don't even get a full 2 rounds of a map or you might have to replay the same map over and over, but if over half the people in the server don't want to play that map anymore, why should they have too? Democracy rules and if you don't agree with the call, you are in the minority at the time, so suck it up. Making people play a map for a long period of time that they don't want to anymore is just going to make them not want to play, which isn't a good thing.

I agree that it can be annoying sometimes, but so are some of the maps and playing the same map for 40 minutes.

Its not that they dont want to play a map, its usually they have a desire to play the same map over and over again. The map is usually switched before anyone can tell how it is... The reason lost world is played a lot on escape is because it has dinosaurs so everyones liek "wow, dinos!!! yay, lets go play that map, seems really fun...." Ill bet you if we made players play a map a little longer than they like, they may end up liking it. And enforcing a map vote at the end of each map is 'democracy'. But people should man up and play out a map....

Theres a certain point where if you really dont like a map, you should just get the hell out and not wine about it.

Captain Colon
13 Apr 2008, 12:41pm
The problem with RTV is NOT that you can RTV after a minute.

I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to say it before people figure it out, but THESE is the problems with RTV:

#1: PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND WILL JUST HIT 1 ON ANY VOTE

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/969/zerooftoprunawayv10008ii4.jpg

Exemplified here where 81% of the server voted YES to an RTV vote...that's MORE people than you need to actually RTV. This also happened a day or two ago, an admin started a kickvote to kick someone who wasn't doing anything (it was an honest mistake). He got kicked and couldn't rejoin because someone immediately took the slot. That's why I always do a custom vote for punishments and make option 1 "no" or "I'm a 1-pusher!"

#2: THERE IS NO MINIMUM NUMBER OF VOTES REQUIRED FOR A MAP TO WIN RTV

Fuck, I thought I had a screenshot of it but I guess I forgot cause I was too shocked and appalled. But many times I've seen maps win with about a third of the vote. That's why we get "OMG THIS MAP SUCKS RTV"...most of the server actually DOESN'T want to play that map. It depends entirely on the maps that are on the list. For instance, if you've got:

jurassic
mumbo
snowescape
dust

then jurassic is going to get a large amount of the votes, most likely an actual majority. Conversely, if you have four very popular maps on there, the vote is going to be split a lot more evenly between all the maps and it's unlikely that one map will have MOST OF the votes, even though it has the MOST votes. If there's 20 people on the server and the votes stack like this:

jurassic 5
lostworld 6
blackmesa 4
helicopter 5

then you're playing lostworld even though only a quarter of the server wants to. All we need is some kind of minimum percentage for RTV results to be accepted. If a map doesn't have the minimum then start a new vote between the two maps with the most votes, like mani did when there was a tie.

Also I dunno about other servers, but on US Escape the vote that comes up 5 minutes before the timelimit doesn't work anymore, it just goes to the next map on the default rotation. That's why it always goes to trap escape after lostworld.

*E* Sorry for messing up the thread with the picture, I'll change it to a link :X

Smallsasaurus
13 Apr 2008, 01:48pm
Both great points Captain. The first one is obvious, but very true, and the second one I actually had never thought of before. I like the idea of actually needing 50% of the votes for a map to win. I don't know if there is any RTV coding out there right now that does that though.

If you could combine those by making all RTVs automatically have the first slot be something like "I don't give a shit" and then make sure the map has to have a majority to be changed, that would be a pretty solid system.

November Terra
13 Apr 2008, 02:25pm
Personally, I think that rtv should be disabled and round time should be reduced to 30 minutes - Ive noticed that most people get bored of a map about that far into it. I don't know about ya'll, but I wouldn't mind having to play maps like mumbo jumbo for 30 minutes if it means that I get to play maps I really like for that duration.

Barring that, how about this: change the numbers to something that isn't 1 through 4, but instead something like 5 through 0. 1 is quickswitch to primary, 2 is secondary, 3 is knife, and 4 is nade. The rtv or nextmap menus are not the only menus that pop up, zombie damage menus pop up as well, which are easily cleared by pressing 1.

If a map vote suddenly appears on people's screens and they are not watching for it, its very likely that they will just press 1 just to get rid of the screen without noticing that its a map vote. And if someone is in battle, they will try to quickswitch to a weapon and find that nothing happened but an accidental vote on a map.

Something else that would be nice would be if the server's nomination/nextmap list excluded maps that have already been played, until like 5 maps remained on the entire list of maps. After that, all the maps can be up for vote again. This way you can't play the same maps over and over until the map list resets to include everything again. I've seen some gmod servers that have that sort of map vote system in place.

Captain Colon
13 Apr 2008, 03:09pm
Something else that would be nice would be if the server's nomination/nextmap list excluded maps that have already been played, until like 5 maps remained on the entire list of maps. After that, all the maps can be up for vote again. This way you can't play the same maps over and over until the map list resets to include everything again. I've seen some gmod servers that have that sort of map vote system in place.
This is all we really need IMO (besides changing the numbers from 1-5 to something higher and not involving 1), I just wasn't sure if it there was a plugin already out there that had that functionality.

Hazardous
13 Apr 2008, 10:24pm
remove all crappy maps? :w00t:

Red
13 Apr 2008, 10:32pm
remove all crappy maps? :w00t:

That would mean removing all maps, because there are always people who hate whatever the hell map is on.

G-Man
23 Apr 2008, 06:49am
I think it would be worth a shot if we removed rtv completely, just on a single server, like escape, and just put a votemap when the map is almost finished playing, so in theory, only good maps will be played because they will vote for the next one everytime. It maybe worth a try... just my thought...

SpikedRocker
23 Apr 2008, 07:18am
I think it would be worth a shot if we removed rtv completely, just on a single server, like escape, and just put a votemap when the map is almost finished playing, so in theory, only good maps will be played because they will vote for the next one everytime. It maybe worth a try... just my thought...

I can see that leading to a bad, bad place. If people could riot on the server, they would.

SATAN
23 Apr 2008, 07:26am
lol yeah that would be bad.
Also because a lot of people press 1 no matter what.
Even if 1 was "Please Crash my computer now" you would still have a lot of people pressing one.

And i dont see myself playing a whole 40 mins i think it is? on a map like mumbo jumbo.