PDA

View Full Version : Brainlesss's General Game Issues

u egg
12 Dec 2010, 03:56am
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
General Game Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Yes Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Avast Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
a friend and I What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
/ Please state your problem here
I just can't play garry's mod anymore. It was working fine and now it is getting stuck on the loading screen, with the civilian holding the phys gun. My computer is new, so it is not hardware problem.

I've tried to delete all steam files but steam.exe and steamapps. I've also tried uninstall it and deleting ALL the gmod files. Then I've tried to launch the game with a lower resolution (1024x7xxx and 800x600). It didn't work. I can't play it anymore.

My spec :
Phenom II x4 955 3.2ghz black edition.
2x2go OCZ (cheap ram durr)
AMD HD5770 1go ddr5.
Western Digital bluecaviar 500go

Any advice would be helpful :) Thanks !

Shadowex3
12 Dec 2010, 05:48pm
That's a new one, you should be eating that game alive. No error messages in console? Tried walking away and seeing if it was just taking forever?

u egg
13 Dec 2010, 05:32am
I can't access to console since it is stuck on the loading screen :p

I've waited about 10 minutes once. When I ctrl+alt+delete it sometimes says hl2.exe has crashed. Sometimes it says nothing.

I'm going to let it run for an hour when I'll get the opportunity.

Thanks for your reply though !

u egg
13 Dec 2010, 10:55am
Okay I waited half an hour and nothing changed, still stuck at the loading screen. BUT this time a engine error appeared

Engine Error
Unable to load surface prop file 'scripts/surfaceproperties/surfaceproperties.txt'
(referenced by manifest file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt')

So I've checked the scripts files. There is none file inside but content_vacuum which is also empty.

Should I try a new installation again ? Or is there anything else to do ? 'Cause I've a download limit per month.

Thanks

Harry
13 Dec 2010, 11:05am
Did you try verifying the game cache (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)? You said you reinstalled it, but give verifying a shot and see if it helps.

If doing that on just gmod doesn't work, try the related addons (hl2, cs:s, tf2, etc.)

u egg
14 Dec 2010, 10:48am
Yup I did try that for gmod, hl2, css. I deleted HL2 and gmod then I tried to reinstall them but it still doesn't work. hl2, css,tf2, l4d, ... works well. Still saying " unable to load... ".
I've googl'd that but nothing can help me.

watido. do not want to reinstall all steam. steam sucks.

Shadowex3
14 Dec 2010, 08:40pm
Try checking for help on the facepunch forums too, this could be something internal to gmod. If all your other source engine games are working fine it's definitely something to do with gmod...

Spiffy
18 Jan 2011, 11:36am
Try disabling steam cloud, then deleting the scripts folder in gmod and starting it up. If it works you can re-enable steam cloud.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, make a file named surfaceproperties_manifest.txt and put it in the scripts folder, open the game, if it works I would leave it, if it doesn't then delete the file and try running the game again.

If that does not work, try putting -resetmounts and -autoconfig into the launch options for the game.

u egg
18 Jan 2011, 02:32pm
Mh ok I've installed it again a week or so back and it didn't work. I've disabled steam cloud for any of my steam games anyway, but the check box to disable it is grey so I can't disable it for gmod. I've checked my gmod files, and there aren't any scripts folders now. Maybe if you can tell me where it's localised I could create one and add the surfaceproperties_manifest.txt file.

I also tried the -resetmounts and autoconfig things, it didn't work.

Spiffy
18 Jan 2011, 02:38pm
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[your username here]\garrysmod\garrysmod\scripts

Something to that effect? I don't have a computer with garrysmod in front of me.

EDIT: It would basically be in the same area that all the other folders are like models and maps. If it isn't then make one.

u egg
18 Jan 2011, 03:01pm
mh hard to find what to actually put into scripts folder. Can anyone with a working gmod tell me what's inside scripts folder ?

Labarr
18 Jan 2011, 05:46pm
mh hard to find what to actually put into scripts folder. Can anyone with a working gmod tell me what's inside scripts folder ?
a folder named: content_accum
a) in this folder there are MANY text files

and a text file named: game_sounds_manifest.txt

Spiffy
18 Jan 2011, 08:18pm
Now that I am home, I am not sure what your problem is with the scripts folder? It is exactly where I said it would be on mine.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[your username here]\garrysmod\garrysmod\scripts

Browse to there, open notepad, save a blank notepad file as:

surfaceproperties_manifest.txt

Put it in the scripts folder. Start GMod, close GMod, delete the file and start gmod again to see if it worked.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the entire scripts folder. It will remake it when you start the game up.

u egg
19 Jan 2011, 08:07am
God damn gabe y u no fix bugs. So I created that scripts folders. I added a surfaceproperties_manifest file with the notepad. I've put it into scripts. I started the game, still stuck on loading screen. Ctlr+alt+delete.

Then I deleted the file, launched it again, same thing. Didn't work.

Deleted the whole script file, tried again. Still stuck.

I also did a verifying of game cache again in case it'd work.

I think I'm doomed.

Spiffy
19 Jan 2011, 08:35am
Hmm, I want you to delete gmod, close steam, and delete both .blob files in the steam folder (one is ClientRegistry...can't remember the other) and delete the steam.dll and steamui.dll files. Let steam update and then Reinstall gmod.

u egg
19 Jan 2011, 01:10pm
I did all you said. The gmod download is 140mb. When I tried to launch it, it automaticaly verified game cache. It reaquired 4 files. Then same problem. I'll try to let it launch for 1 hour asap (again...).

Spiffy
21 Jan 2011, 06:20am
Sorry man, it's probably something in the registry at this point and I'm going to ask you to go through that.