PDA

View Full Version : Vivian556's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

Vivian556
10 Dec 2010, 07:50am
Tech Support Help Ticket
What general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows Vista If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
O_o Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
I have Norton and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
The little symbol says HP c: What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
wat Please state your problem here
I have random lag spikes and I don't know what to do. It's been happening for a while now. I've restored my computer to Factory settings in the past trying to see if I had like too much stuff on there, but yeah.. It didn't work.

Oh yeah and when I play on Steam it lags a lot too and it makes my game go black, but not my monitor.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2zz83uqtd17mmx2 <-- On Surf c:

Tweezy
10 Dec 2010, 09:23am
Are you on a wireless or wired connection? Also if you know anything about your router/modem, model number etc please let us know!

Vivian556
10 Dec 2010, 09:37am
Wireless, but it says I have Very Good Signal if that matters. The thing says Cisco and under it it says linksys E3000 idk if that's the model or whatever, but yeah..

Metal
10 Dec 2010, 11:24am
Is you ISP having problems?
For me, it might say its fast but the ISP might be having issues.

Harry
10 Dec 2010, 11:28am
Uninstall Norton for a bit, go and see if it helps. Also, did you make any changes to your computer prior to the problem happening?

Metal
10 Dec 2010, 11:32am
Uninstall Norton for a bit, go and see if it helps. Also, did you make any changes to your computer prior to the problem happening?

Also gonna say if you did the above, system restore to a point last month

Vivian556
10 Dec 2010, 11:58am
Is you ISP having problems?
For me, it might say its fast but the ISP might be having issues.
I have no idea. I've had problems in the past but they seemed to be resolved.

Okay, I'll try that.

Also gonna say if you did the above, system restore to a point last month
The problems have been going on for a lot longer than a month, so I don't see what good that would do.

Trogdor
10 Dec 2010, 02:49pm
WHAT A PRO SURFER, AM I RIGHT?

Vivian556
10 Dec 2010, 04:22pm
So like, I tried it, but it doesn't work. Is there any other suggestions or would it most likely be my ISP?

Shadowex3
10 Dec 2010, 04:39pm
Ditch norton it's easily bad enough to be considered malware on it's own. After that... no idea, your symptoms can be caused by a ton of things. Try running prime95 and checking for problems, try running atitool's scan for artifacts and see if that finds any problems... we'll see from there.

Vivian556
10 Dec 2010, 05:37pm
Ditch norton it's easily bad enough to be considered malware on it's own. After that... no idea, your symptoms can be caused by a ton of things. Try running prime95 and checking for problems, try running atitool's scan for artifacts and see if that finds any problems... we'll see from there.
Could I get a link for Prime95? I don't trust google's 1st choice. D: Thanks :D

Tweezy
10 Dec 2010, 06:47pm
I have to say I can no longer help, but I will say this, from looking at your router I don't think thats your problem, what wireless adaptor are you using?

Vivian556
10 Dec 2010, 08:09pm
I have to say I can no longer help, but I will say this, from looking at your router I don't think thats your problem, what wireless adaptor are you using?
Yeah, it's a wireless connection.

So far I haven't really done anything because I want someone who knows how to do this stuff to do it to my computer because I don't want to fuck anything up, but I'll show him the thread so he can see what to do. Thanks a lot for the pointers, guys.

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 05:19am
Yeah, it's a wireless connection.

So far I haven't really done anything because I want someone who knows how to do this stuff to do it to my computer because I don't want to fuck anything up, but I'll show him the thread so he can see what to do. Thanks a lot for the pointers, guys.

I know your using a wireless connection, but what adaptor is it? For example, having a N-type router is fantastic, but having a G-Types wireless adaptor will cause lagg and really high ping.

Bob Loblaw
11 Dec 2010, 07:32am
My laptops wireless sucks. It cuts out for a second every ten or fifteen seconds. Everything Pauses and nothing haPpens for a second or two then it comes back. Go to I think it's speedtest.net but I'm not 100 on that since I'm on my touch and it just brings me to the mobile app lol. Anyways if you get anything over 0 packets lost you're in the same boat as me. You could try a wireless optimizer but I've found only plugging in with Ethernet helps.

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 09:22am
I know your using a wireless connection, but what adaptor is it? For example, having a N-type router is fantastic, but having a G-Types wireless adaptor will cause lagg and really high ping.
I have no idea... Where would I find that? O-o

My laptops wireless sucks. It cuts out for a second every ten or fifteen seconds. Everything Pauses and nothing haPpens for a second or two then it comes back. Go to I think it's speedtest.net but I'm not 100 on that since I'm on my touch and it just brings me to the mobile app lol. Anyways if you get anything over 0 packets lost you're in the same boat as me. You could try a wireless optimizer but I've found only plugging in with Ethernet helps.
My desktop cuts out like every 45-60 seconds, in-game or not. My web browsers even lag.. :\

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1066612103.png (http://www.speedtest.net/)

I don't know what that means but that's what came up. Idk if that's good or not. >_<

Either this month or in the next couple of months, I'm going to be upgrading some thins on my computer and most likely going to a wired connection. Do you think that would help at all with the lag issues?

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 10:46am
I have no idea... Where would I find that? O-o

Mine cuts out like every 45-60 seconds, in-game or not. My web browsers even lag.. :\

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1066612103.png (http://www.speedtest.net/)

I don't know what that means but that's what came up. Idk if that's good or not. >_<

Either this month or in the next couple of months, I'm going to be upgrading some thins on my computer and most likely going to a wired connection. Do you think that would help at all with the lag issues?

Oh shit, I thought we were on about computers, not laptops! Sorry! Well, is it an integrated connection, or do you have a card or usb you plug into your lappy?

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 11:00am
Oh shit, I thought we were on about computers, not laptops! Sorry! Well, is it an integrated connection, or do you have a card or usb you plug into your lappy?
No no, this is my desktop. My laptop is just fine.

Harry
11 Dec 2010, 11:04am
Then reinstall your desktop's OS, its software is obviously broken somehow and not your connection.

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 11:26am
Then reinstall your desktop's OS, its software is obviously broken somehow and not your connection.
How would I go about doing this? And would it mean like... resetting the whole computer??

Harry
11 Dec 2010, 11:30am
How would I go about doing this? And would it mean like... resetting the whole computer??
Yes. When you bought your computer it should have came with Windows reinstall discs, and you can just use those. If you don't know how, you should ask someone IRL who is good with computers (or try Google).

mod edit: Don't do this, reformatting is the last-ditch "nuclear" effort that's still not likely to fix the underlying CAUSE of problems in most situations.

People if you're not Tech Bucket staff don't suggest things like this... especially if you don't actually know what you're doing and are just taking the geek-squad's easy way out.

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 11:40am

Ok great, also, don't re-install your OS, there is no need.

Ok back to topic, your wireless adaptor, where is it connected? USB slot or a PCI Slot (PCI Slots are actually on the motherboard it's self)

Bob Loblaw
11 Dec 2010, 12:30pm
Yeah I figured whatever wireless adapter you were using could be causing the same issues mine gives me. I forget where I found Packets lost but I'm at school going into final soon. But yes I can almost guarantee having a wired connection will fix it.

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 01:29pm
Yes. When you bought your computer it should have came with Windows reinstall discs, and you can just use those. If you don't know how, you should ask someone IRL who is good with computers (or try Google).
I said before that I've already tried resetting my whole computer.. the problem did not go away, so I don't think resetting it a second time would have very much effect on it.

Ok great, also, don't re-install your OS, there is no need.

Ok back to topic, your wireless adaptor, where is it connected? USB slot or a PCI Slot (PCI Slots are actually on the motherboard it's self)
Alright, and I have no idea... how would I find this? lol >_< I'm terrible with computers.

Yeah I figured whatever wireless adapter you were using could be causing the same issues mine gives me. I forget where I found Packets lost but I'm at school going into final soon. But yes I can almost guarantee having a wired connection will fix it.
Alright... Like I said, I think I'm going to get one in the next few months and upgrade my computer, so hopefully if nothing else, that will work.

Harry
11 Dec 2010, 02:13pm
I said before that I've already tried resetting my whole computer.. the problem did not go away, so I don't think resetting it a second time would have very much effect on it.
You deleted everything on the HDD? Not a recovery install, but a complete clean one?

And you can usually tell if it's USB or PCI if you turn the box around and look - if you see something sticking out and can not pull it out easily, it's probably PCI.

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 02:17pm
You deleted everything on the HDD? Not a recovery install, but a complete clean one?

And you can usually tell if it's USB or PCI if you turn the box around and look - if you see something sticking out and can not pull it out easily, it's probably PCI.
I put the computer back to factory settings.. if that means anything?

And I think it's a PCI then.

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 02:18pm

Alright, and I have no idea... how would I find this? lol >_< I'm terrible with computers.

Alright... Like I said, I think I'm going to get one in the next few months and upgrade my computer, so hopefully if nothing else, that will work.

This requires you to take the side off, hmmm.

Go to your Device Manger;

Right click My Computer - Properties - Device Manger tab on right hand side (Win7)

XP - You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

Once in the Device Manger go to "Network Adaptors" around the middle.

Write in everything! :L

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 02:19pm
This requires you to take the side off, hmmm.

Go to your Device Manger;

Right click My Computer - Properties - Device Manger tab on right hand side (Win7)

XP - You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

Once in the Device Manger go to "Network Adaptors" around the middle.

Write in everything! :L
Everything I see under it?

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 02:20pm
Everything I see under it?

Yes, sorry!

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 02:22pm
Yes, sorry!
Alright, so it says
'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter' and 'NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet'

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 02:27pm
Alright, so it says
'Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter' and 'NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet'

Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

I think thats your problem! You need an upgrade!! I would recommend buying a USB adaptor;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127244&cm_re=n_usb_adapter-_-33-127-244-_-Product

Thats what I use! It's actually quite good... Never had a problem with gaming or anything! Had it about a year/two now! Still working like it was brand new!

Also, if you do upgrade you'll need to remove your linksys PCI adaptor from your computer, I'f your not confident I would suggest asking a friend, or taking it to a shop. If you do take it to a shop, make sure they don't rip you off, it's literally a minute job.

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 02:36pm
Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

I think thats your problem! You need an upgrade!! I would recommend buying a USB adaptor;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127244&cm_re=n_usb_adapter-_-33-127-244-_-Product

Thats what I use! It's actually quite good... Never had a problem with gaming or anything! Had it about a year/two now! Still working like it was brand new!

Also, if you do upgrade you'll need to remove your linksys PCI adaptor from your computer, I'f your not confident I would suggest asking a friend, or taking it to a shop. If you do take it to a shop, make sure they don't rip you off, it's literally a minute job.
Thanks!

I'm bringing it to my friend. He owns a local computer fixing service like thing. He's really good with computers. :D I'll make sure to bring it up to him. Thanks again.

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 02:39pm
Thanks!

I'm bringing it to my friend. He owns a local computer fixing service like thing. He's really good with computers. :D I'll make sure to bring it up to him. Thanks again.

No problem! :)

EDIT:

Oh yeah, if you do get the USB adaptor I showed you, once installed get a different driver from the web, the CD one is rubbish.

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 02:42pm
No problem! :)

EDIT:

Oh yeah, if you do get the USB adaptor I showed you, once installed get a different driver from the web, the CD one is rubbish.
Alright, thanks again, Tweezy. :D

And thanks everyone else for the help. :)

Harry
11 Dec 2010, 02:43pm
Wait, before you buy a USB one, try the Ethernet port already installed on the computer (that is, if your network even has wired options). There could still be the rare chance that it is software related.

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 02:45pm
Wait, before you buy a USB one, try the Ethernet port already installed on the computer (that is, if your network even has wired options). There could still be the rare chance that it is software related.
What do you mean?

Harry
11 Dec 2010, 02:48pm
What do you mean?

'NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet'
There should be a plug in the back for a wired Internet connection.

Tweezy
11 Dec 2010, 02:56pm

Lol, silly me of course!!

Just plug an ethernet cable into the back of your computer, an ethernet port looks like this;

http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/setup/winxp/computer-connect-ethernet.jpg

Ethernet Cable;

http://www.elec-intro.com/EX/05-13-23/Ethernet-Cable-UTP-Mold-Type-KB-AA06-.jpg

Plug the cable in from the back of your router, to your PC.

(Might need a long one depending on where your PC is)

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 03:03pm
I would have to Run the cable up two floors... >_>

Shadowex3
11 Dec 2010, 04:13pm
Well there's your problem. Wireless in general (even wifi-N) is terrible for anything but email and office-work, wireless G is years old and even worse, and you're two floors up which is going to seriously screw with your stuff for gaming. Gmail doesn't care if packets are a little delayed or one or two get dropped and resent. A game flips the hell out whenever it loses a packet or gets too much of a delay because the entire networking system the game uses breaks down when that happens.

[quote]

There's cables for that...Pick A Color (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020814).

Vivian556
11 Dec 2010, 04:34pm
Well there's your problem. Wireless in general (even wifi-N) is terrible for anything but email and office-work, wireless G is years old and even worse, and you're two floors up which is going to seriously screw with your stuff for gaming. Gmail doesn't care if packets are a little delayed or one or two get dropped and resent. A game flips the hell out whenever it loses a packet or gets too much of a delay because the entire networking system the game uses breaks down when that happens.

There's cables for that...Pick A Color (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020814).When I upgrade my computer, I will be getting an Wired Connection, so I will just wait. and also I don't have any money at the moment so I couldn't buy it even if I wanted to. >_<

Shadowex3
12 Dec 2010, 05:48pm
Yes but now you know for the future >P