PDA

View Full Version : starbucks.'s Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

starbucks
20 Nov 2010, 05:48am
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Avira AntiVir Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
My neighbor What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
- Please state your problem here
Okay so the router I have is not mine, it's the one from my moms ex friend. The problem is that he wants it back.

So here's a little pciture I made:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/337/helpma.png (http://img220.imageshack.us/i/helpma.png/)

The yellow cable is the internet cable.

When I unplug all the router stuff and put the internet cable from the router in the PC (The place where the blue cable was in) it will not work.
Do you have any ideas what it could be?

ps: I can still check answer with my phone.

Shadowex3
20 Nov 2010, 09:13pm
This one needs a nerd on-site. Your computer could be programmed to recieve its IP ONLY from that router, that modem might not be able to function on it's own, etc. Plus fixing this needs some technical skills that are very dependant on exactly what hardware you have.

Sniper
25 Nov 2010, 05:37pm
Try power-cycling the modem.

connor
25 Nov 2010, 05:57pm
buy a new router ??? just putting that option out there

Shadowex3
26 Nov 2010, 08:51pm
^^^ Linksys "UFO" routers (they look black, shiny, and wierd, hence the nickname) are pretty good.

Jazzyy
26 Nov 2010, 10:12pm
Sorry I'm using Windows 7, but you can probably navigate easily, I think:
Go to Control Panel
Attempt to find something about Network/Sharing
Get to Adapter Settings
Go to your Local Area connection (the one that's plugged into your pc from the router)
Right click it
Go to properties
Go to 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Click Properties

Here's where I hope I'm right:
Your Properties should be set up so that instead of having 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' are unchecked, and instead the forms are filled, if not, fuck it.
If so: WRITE THE FUCK DOWN EVERYTHING IN THOSE BOXES. NO REALLY, YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO DO THIS. (or do prntscreen and save it as a picture)

Change the checkboxes to obtain and obtain, and click OK. connect it to the modem to PC and see if that works.
nothing? then i don't know, this is my best shot, really.

other than that, my best bet:
try contacting your isp for support. you could try fucking with the modem but i'd not recommend that as modems are a bitch to use and isp's usually lock that stuff down.