PDA

View Full Version : New forum guidelines

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 07:11am
Hopefully this guidelines which have been re-written by me will give some of you insight to how you should act on any online community.

You can still have fun, have humour with people and be witty, just not in a nasty way which will make people not feel welcome.

Also please not, this is not a war with trolls, etc, these rules apply to everyone on the forums including myself. (from today!)

In the next few days, EVERYONE will have to accept these when they want to reply or post something, if you don't accept them, you won't be able to post, if you do, I expect the rules to be followed.

These rules/guidelines have always been in place, but not very well used.

Due to recent events, the following guidelines/rules have been put in place.

Harassment of other members will not be tolerated.

We encourage active discussions in our forums, even those about controversial topics, but the forums can only flourish if all members feel welcome and safe. If you can't offer friendly & mature advice/discussion to the topic, it may be wiser to move along to the next thread.

We will not tolerate:

Argumentative, off-topic exchanges
Multiple messages targeting any member(s) for insults, attacks, or personal comments
Hardcore trolling (Sarcastic asides and snide comments)
Deliberate acts to cause annoyance or arguments within the community

If you’re offended by a post, please use the report the post button, this will help us be able to deal with the post quickly.

If you’re upset about someone trolling or harassing you, please contact an AO or BD, please have proof ready for us to take action, we will then do an investigation, if you don’t, don’t come moaning to us when more issues arise.

We reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

We’d like to keep removal of posts to a minimum, but we will take the necessary action to keep the forums welcoming and free from unnecessary trolling topics/discussions.

Do not post contact or personal information about other members without permission.

We ask all our members to respect the privacy of others, and refrain from exposing the real names, home addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of other members.

Note: If you post your own personal information, it can be seen by everyone! And it will be stored on the internet forever!

Advertisements, solicitation and SPAM are strictly prohibited.

We’d never walk in to your house and start posting ads on your computer, so please don’t do the same to us. Any advertisements, solicitation or spam will not be tolerated.

All of the following topics will be removed or closed:

Complaints about decisions made by the higher ups. Please PM GarfieldH or Jager if you disagree with any decisions made, if an issue does arise over a decision, a thread will be created by a BD and mature, intelligent conversation will commence.
Multiple messages containing identical or nearly identical text. This is considered spam and when we discover it, we will remove all copies.
Harassment threads
Racist threads

Every person is limited to one screen name/account.

Your screen name is your real name, but it’s online. You are limited to one account/name on the forums.

These new guidelines have existed in the past, but these have been updated. These rules/guidelines will take effect immediately.

We reserve the right to ban any user without notice. Upon signing up to SteamGamers you agree to these forum rules. You will abide by them, if you do not, you will no longer be welcomed here. These rules are put in place to protect the users of SteamGamers

Third
15 Nov 2010, 07:12am
Reserved :D

Spiffy
15 Nov 2010, 07:37am
This sentence concerns me.

You can still have fun, have humour with people and be witty, just not in a nasty way which will make people not feel unwelcome.

So we should have fun, have a sense of humor and be witty, but not in a nasty way that will make people feel welcome.

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 07:55am

So we should have fun, have a sense of humor and be witty, but not in a nasty way that will make people feel welcome.

good eye batman lol

Omar
15 Nov 2010, 08:20am
Well....

Hardcore trolling? Who does that anyway?

Also, could we have a section where these rules do not apply?
Some humour is just funny the nasty way.

Just sayin'

Huwajux
15 Nov 2010, 08:56am

Lol? You basically repeated it word for word, not sure what you're concern is.

matt 187
15 Nov 2010, 09:12am
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad267/11363/1287439097537.gif

Spiffy
15 Nov 2010, 09:13am
Lol? You basically repeated it word for word, not sure what you're concern is.

You should read it more carefully.

Determined2Win
15 Nov 2010, 09:56am
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad267/11363/1287439097537.gif

Water just went all over my monitor you (expletive)!

Anyways, agreed to stated rules.

TheVirus
15 Nov 2010, 10:17am
I disagree to agree, what happens now?

Farmer Mick
15 Nov 2010, 10:21am
is this some sort of war with trolls?

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 10:22am
You'll have to agree, when I reset all the user acceptance for the whole of the forum, otherwise you won't be able to view forum, post, etc.

Farmer Mick
15 Nov 2010, 10:26am
You'll have to agree, when I reset all the user acceptance for the whole of the forum, otherwise you won't be able to view forum, post, etc.

so what about that convo we had in which you said "mick you can do anything you like"

and the part where you said "im gonna unban racism"

are they not in your new guidelines

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 10:28am
so what about that convo we had in which you said "mick you can do anything you like"

and the part where you said "im gonna unban racism"

are they not in your new guidelines

You wish, read the guidelines, does it look like they are in them?

Farmer Mick
15 Nov 2010, 10:32am
You wish, read the guidelines, does it look like they are in them?

yes

Jazz
15 Nov 2010, 10:43am
Can you still troll a small amount in-game? It's always funny, and we'll tell that we joked afterwards.

Italian Jew
15 Nov 2010, 10:45am
So who is going to be able to decide what violates these rules and determine punishment besides you? I only ask because I am damn sure some people are going to enforce these new rules in certain situations with specific people.

What about off-topic exchanges in the off-topic section? <- Inappropriate comment now? (Also seriously asking about off-topic exchanges)

Complaints about decisions made by the higher ups. Please PM GarfieldH or Jager if you disagree with any decisions made, if an issue does arise over a decision, a thread will be created by a BD and mature, intelligent conversation will commence.

What if its one of those things where either you or Jager do not view it as an issue? Are you going to base the creation of the thread on the amount of requests you get for the discussion or are you going to ignore the request completely?

Also, define HARDCORE trolling. Some people might get pissed off in the Politics section (or others) and I don't want to be banned, nor would anyone else, because you completely destroyed their statement.

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 10:59am
So who is going to be able to decide what violates these rules and determine punishment besides you? I only ask because I am damn sure some people are going to enforce these new rules in certain situations with specific people.

What about off-topic exchanges in the off-topic section? <- Inappropriate comment now? (Also seriously asking about off-topic exchanges)

What if its one of those things where either you or Jager do not view it as an issue? Are you going to base the creation of the thread on the amount of requests you get for the discussion or are you going to ignore the request completely?

Also, define HARDCORE trolling. Some people might get pissed off in the Politics section (or others) and I don't want to be banned, nor would anyone else, because you completely destroyed their statement.

what violates these rules and determine punishment besides you?

The whole management team, it's already detirmed by the gudelines, everyone will follow them. I will not determine anything, if someone replies to you and says "shut the fuck you prick" they are going to get banned. Simple, no matter who is attackted, etc, they will get banned if it's a in way to get a bad reaction from someone. Of course we can still have a joke and all that.

What if its one of those things where either you or Jager do not view it as an issue?

if one person does not agree with a decision, it does not mean it's wrong, if 5 people don't agree, the same, but if a large majority of the community start to disagree, then obviosuly we'd look in to it, we listen to the communiuty, we can't keep changing things because a small group of people protest. Otherwise we'd never have any change.

Also, define HARDCORE trolling. As it's stated, snide nasty comments to get a nasty reaction from someone. You all know the limits, stay within them, when it starts getting nasty and upseting you know when the joke should stop.

What about off-topic exchanges in the off-topic section.

When I say off topic exchanges, it means if you make a post in the tech section asking for help, and someone comes in and goes, "yo mother fucker, fucking do it yourself dumb ass!" then that's an off topic exchange, or if it's not to do with the topic, and just trying to cause issues, etc.
Hope i've answered your questions clearly.

Bubbles
15 Nov 2010, 12:22pm
All that has been said, has been said before.

Here come the infractions& fucking qq baby acne virgins to ruin our crude humor and replace it with their naruto jokes.

Harbor
15 Nov 2010, 12:27pm
All of the following topics will be removed or closed:

[LIST]

So basically no complaining about the higher ups?

Huwajux
15 Nov 2010, 12:29pm
You should read it more carefully.
LOL I just saw it. That was as confusing as fuck.

Farmer Mick
15 Nov 2010, 12:30pm

glad you understand

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 12:34pm

Again you need to read the post correctly, you can complain, PM me or Jager and we will make a formal thread for the issue, if enough people don't like it. This is to stop 50 drama threads about issues. bans, etc.

Metal
15 Nov 2010, 01:38pm

Here come the infractions& fucking qq baby acne virgins to ruin our crude humor and replace it with their naruto jokes.

Stuff like this is a great example.
Sometimes bubbles its not about the QQing, its called Respect.
Some people don't share the same sense of humor you have.

If you’re offended by a post, please use the report the post button, this will help us be able to deal with the post quickly.

If you’re upset about someone trolling or harassing you, please contact an AO or BD, please have proof ready for us to take action, we will then do an investigation, if you don’t, don’t come moaning to us when more issues arise.

Define Proof.
A simple SS?
Or a bunch of SS's from more than 1 issue?

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 01:43pm

No infractions, just straight to bans. It's my fault that the forum has got to the mess it is, we didn't bother to enforce the rules for the forum, therefore people were getting away with stuff, and it became a issue. I don't want to come on each day to 4 drama threads, and 6 pm's about someone harassing someone or being a dick, you can still have fun, be witty, and have humour, just do it nicely.....

Neji
15 Nov 2010, 01:47pm
I just hope this won't become like TNS...

Higher-up:

"I BANNED FULLMETAL AND *INSERT NAME HERE* FOR TROLLING AND STEALING MONEY!!!"

Neji:

lol

***5 minutes later***

*Perm Banned
Reason: Trolling

Please don't ban for every single little troll post, because then SG will lose it's "SGness".

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 01:52pm
I just hope this won't become like TNS...

Please don't ban for every single little troll post, because then SG will lose it's "SGness".

This was my worry, we are not banning for small things, it's come to my attention a large amount of people are unhappy at the moment, people are able to get away with being nasty to each other. This will be the issues that need to be fixed. We need make it so everyone is happy to post here, and not being harassed, etc.

As I said, you can still be witty, funny humour, etc. Just have respect, simple.

So in a clear few words, have fun, be nice, have respect...

Bubbles
15 Nov 2010, 01:55pm
Stuff like this is a great example.
Sometimes bubbles its not about the QQing, its called Respect.
Some people don't share the same sense of humor you have.

Oh, respect. I don't respect you, you should already know this.
I didn't mention your name, and my description(acne virgin) can apply to dozens of sg users

Stop going out of your way to troll me or ill report you.

No infractions, just straight to bans. It's my fault that the forum has got to the mess it is, we didn't bother to enforce the rules for the forum, therefore people were getting away with stuff, and it became a issue. I don't want to come on each day to 4 drama threads, and 6 pm's about someone harassing someone or being a dick, you can still have fun, be witty, and have humour, just do it nicely.....

And garfy baby, you know this thread has been made a dozen times.

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 01:56pm
I didn't mention your name, and my description(acne virgin) can apply to dozens of sg users

And garfy baby, you know this thread has been made a dozen times.

Well it has and hasn't, I've re-written everything... so some things have changed, these guidelines will be followed, if they are not, people will not be welcomed on the forums. I will not take bullshit from people, nor will I step down on bans any more.

Neji
15 Nov 2010, 01:58pm
This was my worry, we are not banning for small things, it's come to my attention a large amount of people are unhappy at the moment, people are able to get away with being nasty to each other. This will be the issues that need to be fixed. We need make it so everyone is happy to post here, and not being harassed, etc.

As I said, you can still be witty, funny humour, etc. Just have respect, simple.

So in a clear few words, have fun, be nice, have respect...

Wasn't there always "The limit" in trolling? I believe you're just giving us a little review on our rules.

For those of you that need an example of Hardcore trolling. I will give you one.

Shamwow's war with Dante in one of the threads. (I won't look for the thread, because im too lazy). That is a perfect example of hardcore trolling. :>

Metal
15 Nov 2010, 02:07pm

This is not the place nor time, but I'm not trolling you.
We know what you do.
Nor was i saying what you said was me.
It what you say, but hey in the long run you will understand the limit.

Also @ Garf
Will the bans be perm or semi?

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 02:09pm
This is not the place nor time, but I'm not trolling you.
We know what you do.
Nor was i saying what you said was me.
It what you say, but hey in the long run you will understand the limit.

Also @ Garf
Will the bans be perm or semi?

It depends on what they've done, I image if they are a persistent issue, perm, cooling off time semi..

Also, both of you knock it off. Take it to PM's, see you both moaning at each other again, I'll ban you both. Final word.

ScubaToaster
15 Nov 2010, 04:46pm
Sticky this...

DoubleSb
15 Nov 2010, 04:55pm
Sarcastic asides or snide comments isn't hardcore trolling.

Veggie
15 Nov 2010, 05:01pm
I fully agree with this, it's fair to all. Thank you for this.

barackobama
15 Nov 2010, 05:07pm
I fully agree with this, it's fair to all. Thank you for this.

I'm trying...

Trogdor
15 Nov 2010, 05:11pm
Also, both of you knock it off. Take it to PM's, see you both moaning at each other again, I'll ban you both. Final word.

lolol.

Thread is too serious. What happened recently has always happened, it's nothing new, and I highly doubt this "revised" set of rules will change much. Good luck to it though.

Chêvouÿx
15 Nov 2010, 05:22pm
Some of you are taking this way of proportion. It's pretty obvious that those who've been asking nit-picky questions (excluding Fullmetal) in this thread are simply trying to find a loophole so they can continue their (poor) behavior. Perhaps I'm taking what Garfield wants out of context, but the message is clear:

If you know what you're about to post is wrong, douchebaggery, bait, flaming, or anything of the like, then you are accepting the consequences of what may result from your post, especially because there are now explicit guidelines.

Truth be told, if you're a reasonable person and have never had a problem/been in trouble on these forums, then don't worry about it. But, if you aren't and have been an issue, then you need to shape up because I'm sure that you are indeed intelligent enough to realize before posting that what you write may definitely cause controversy.

Stop trying to find loopholes. If you're being a total overall asshat, then it is completely fair if you receive a punishment. There actually are ways to create humor without being a prick. Perhaps you should try that sometimes instead of being such an issue that higher-ups, who voluntarily give you the opportunity to have these forums, have to worry about the shit that you fling around like young, immature children.

Jesus H. Christ...

Bubbles
15 Nov 2010, 05:30pm
What's jesus's middle name? O.o;

Neutronrocks
15 Nov 2010, 05:34pm
... "And Now Back to the War on Trolling"

:D

Kaos
15 Nov 2010, 05:55pm
R&U

Good to know!

Drox
15 Nov 2010, 06:07pm

Hugo

jeN
15 Nov 2010, 06:22pm

HairyVagina

Italian Jew
15 Nov 2010, 06:25pm
So is doing this a no-no anymore?

Some of you are taking this way of proportion. It's pretty obvious that those who've been asking nit-picky questions (excluding Fullmetal) in this thread are simply trying to find a loophole so they can blah blah blah...
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/106781/kaya-scodelario-bj-o.gif

Just trying to find that line so I don't cross it accidentally.

Also, are we going by the Politics section rules where if somebody insults you or your beliefs, you can reply back with an insult along with a carefully detailed statement as to why they fit the bill of whatever insult you used?

Mcbride
15 Nov 2010, 07:37pm
Read and understood...

Neji
15 Nov 2010, 08:37pm
I think you guys take it too seriously...

By hardcore trolling he doesn't mean calling people gay... (humarous way)

Hardcore trolling is when you insult someone that they cry at night and want to leave SG forever.

Bob Loblaw
15 Nov 2010, 09:03pm
If it's in good fun, it's okay. If it's upsetting them, it's not.

Nice easy guideline. If you don't know whether or not it will upset them, don't do it, you probably don't know eachother well enough for it to be considered "in good fun".

Lux
16 Nov 2010, 12:21am

Hardcore trolling is when you insult someone that they cry at night and want to leave SG forever.

Fuck you

XeNo
16 Nov 2010, 01:03am
yes
LOL. If only there were some wizard that could take them out.

Your definition seems pretty personal. Need a hug?

Farmer Mick
16 Nov 2010, 09:41am
LOL. If only there were some wizard that could take them out.

gangs arent afriad of me for no reason

trakaill
16 Nov 2010, 03:44pm
can we get neg rep back... and take out the rep comments...

also sexy bar!!

Prez
16 Nov 2010, 03:48pm
Thanks for the info and letting us know.