PDA

View Full Version : Huwajux's GPU Control Panel Issues

Huwajux
11 Nov 2010, 08:31pm
Tech Support Help Ticket

What general section does your problem fall under
GPU Control Panel Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Kaspersky Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Novatech What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
Software Please state your problem here
Since I got my new laptop I have been tweaking it so it is optimum for gaming since I couldn't get a desktop due to mobility issues I currently put up with.

I've done all the basic stuff with regards to processor state and power consumption, but now I've gone into the nVidia control panel to further improve my gaming experience. It used to work just fine, I had everything maxed out to improve gaming performance, until I recently bought Oblivion (not to say that this is the issue, I'm just throwing it out there).

I noticed that HDR and anti-aliasing couldn't be turned on at the same (for whatever reason), so I turned on HDR through the in-game menu, and forced anti-aliasing manually through the nVidia control panel. It all worked out great and I got to playing. However recently the control panel started being a bit of a bastard.

I noticed my games were running slower and when I took a look at the nVidia control panel, everything had reset itself back to the default settings. I put it all back up, hit apply and closed the window, yet they aren't saved and won't save no matter what I do.

In addition, when going to select a game through the control panel, where before it had everything, it now has nothing. I try browsing and adding Oblivion to the list manually, but it simply doesn't appear.

Any idea why my control panel refuses to see any of my games and why it keeps resetting my GPU options?

Shadowex3
11 Nov 2010, 10:22pm
Nope, drivers are touchy shits. Run drivercleaner and/or crapcleaner and reinstall the latest drivers.

Huwajux
12 Nov 2010, 10:55am
Done that yet the problem persists.

tinkerbell
12 Nov 2010, 11:00am
you might have a registry file hanging around when u run drivercleaner.........

Huwajux
12 Nov 2010, 11:41am
Is there any way to run it as administrator? I search for it but it doesn't give me a directory and the only option is just "open" when I right click it. I'm clutching at straws here but stuff like this has been fixed for me in the past just by running it as admin.

Jazzyy
12 Nov 2010, 12:06pm
Sounded to me like a configuration file was set to read-only: but after looking through C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation I couldn't find any config files, so I assume it's something in the registry, or nvidia puts their config files somewhere else.

Huwajux
12 Nov 2010, 12:22pm
Sounded to me like a configuration file was set to read-only: but after looking through C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation I couldn't find any config files, so I assume it's something in the registry, or nvidia puts their config files somewhere else.
If this is the case why would it just randomly occur like it has? It worked fine for a while, but recently it just simply started resetting itself.

Jazzyy
12 Nov 2010, 04:49pm
If this is the case why would it just randomly occur like it has? It worked fine for a while, but recently it just simply started resetting itself.
Who knows? It could be a fail-safe, an attempt to preserve config files in the event of your control panel/drivers crashing to prevent file corruption. Like I said, I have no clue.

I've never heard of configurations not saving in the nvid cp, i'd try running safe mod and uninstalling the drivers, then cleaning them with a program that deals with that sort of stuff (can't recommend one, as I have never had any driver problems like these).
But I do know CCleaner will clean up your registry, that might be of use.

But make sure to back up your registry when you do that, and if all goes to shit, you can always just reinstall Windows, and solve two problems at once :D

Huwajux
13 Nov 2010, 02:22pm
All fixed. Just using window's add/remove feature seemed to do the trick when reinstalling. Thanks for all of your help.