PDA

View Full Version : Hackzor's General Game Issues

Shine
29 Sep 2010, 04:27pm
Tech Support Help Ticket
What general section does your problem fall under
General Game Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Malware Bytes Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
myself What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
im not sure Please state your problem here
Well recently every time i play a videogame on my computer, my computer will just shut off. It never happened before. I dont know what it could be. I know my computer isnt overheating cause i can feel it and its not hot or anything. Please help.

Chaoz`
29 Sep 2010, 04:31pm
well i had it too sometimes, but that was when my fan from my GPU was broken, so it would just overheat a slight bit and shut off, or your PSU is broken, or starting to lose it's life.

Tweezy
29 Sep 2010, 05:57pm
When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust isn't really a problem, but once it starts to build up, it will effect your computer really badly.

Also, it seems like you could have an underpowered power supply, or your Graphics Card/CPU is overheating, causing the shutdowns.

Mr. Moop
29 Sep 2010, 05:58pm
Go to your BIOS and change the temperature your computer shuts off at..

[mod edit]

Don't do this, stuff shuts off at like 80-100C for a REASON when it overheats. That's hot enough to boil water in Fahrenheit, think about what letting your hardware run at that temperature would do. I've had to repair old prescotts that literally burned their motherboards to ash and charcoal because people didn't pay attention to the temperatures, there's a lot of stuff in a computer you DONT want to breathe if it burns, and electrical fires burning silicon, plastic, and metal do not go out easily. -Shadowex3

Shine
29 Sep 2010, 07:10pm
what should i change it to moop?

Labarr
29 Sep 2010, 07:27pm
Im a fucking idiot

Shine
29 Sep 2010, 07:29pm
well the thing is i dont know :/
can someone give me a tutorial please :)

Ms. Blargh
30 Sep 2010, 03:14pm
well lets first rule out overheating
download
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
and copy past the temperatures it shows.

Shine
30 Sep 2010, 04:44pm
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/RoflCopterSoi/speedfan.png

Labarr
30 Sep 2010, 05:01pm
OK so as far os overheating in standby mode... its fine.. How long can u play css until it turns off? Maybe play CSS until its about to shut of (like10 minutes) if you can get that.. and then look at the temps again.

Shine
30 Sep 2010, 05:54pm
Its ok i fixed it now. Turns out there was shit load of dust in the fans that cools the cpu.
Edit: Still shutdowns but after a while.

Shadowex3
30 Sep 2010, 09:33pm
Labarr, Moop we let people post in here when they aren't staff because more eyes is usually a good thing but seriously people have been pushing it for a while now and now finally someone crossed the line into telling someone to do something so f#@%ing stupid it's legitimately endangering his safety. We've had a thread going on this for a bit in the staff forum and the BD's told us at this point we're clear to start swinging the mod hammer at dumb, inaccurate, and dangerous posts from non-staff.

Processors and GPUs tend to start thermal throttling at about 80C and shutdown around 90-100C. That's TWO FUCKING HUNDRED DEGREES in Fahrenheit. THINK for a minute about how freaking hot that is and anyone smarter than a spoon of yeast will realise why it is a VERY BAD IDEA to tamper with the thermal safeties.

hackzor: keep using speedfan, download and run Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) and watch your temps while priming for a while when you're visiting forums or something for an hour or two, see how high they get. If that isn't it then you'll need to mess with Rthdribl (http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/) which is basically the same idea (stress test) but for your graphics card instead. If THAT doesn't do it then try both at the same time and we can basically know it's a power issue rather than a temperature issue.

An_Orange
30 Sep 2010, 10:26pm
Labarr, Moop we let people post in here when they aren't staff because more eyes is usually a good thing but seriously people have been pushing it for a while now and now finally someone crossed the line into telling someone to do something so f#@%ing stupid it's legitimately endangering his safety. We've had a thread going on this for a bit in the staff forum and the BD's told us at this point we're clear to start swinging the mod hammer at dumb, inaccurate, and dangerous posts from non-staff.

Processors and GPUs tend to start thermal throttling at about 80C and shutdown around 90-100C. That's TWO FUCKING HUNDRED DEGREES in Fahrenheit. THINK for a minute about how freaking hot that is and anyone smarter than a spoon of yeast will realise why it is a VERY BAD IDEA to tamper with the thermal safeties.

hackzor: keep using speedfan, download and run Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) and watch your temps while priming for a while when you're visiting forums or something for an hour or two, see how high they get. If that isn't it then you'll need to mess with Rthdribl (http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/) which is basically the same idea (stress test) but for your graphics card instead. If THAT doesn't do it then try both at the same time and we can basically know it's a power issue rather than a temperature issue.

You sir, just saved someone's life :]

PotshotPolka
1 Oct 2010, 12:48am

hackzor: keep using speedfan, download and run Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) and watch your temps while priming for a while when you're visiting forums or something for an hour or two, see how high they get. If that isn't it then you'll need to mess with Rthdribl (http://www.daionet.gr.jp/%7Emasa/rthdribl/) which is basically the same idea (stress test) but for your graphics card instead. If THAT doesn't do it then try both at the same time and we can basically know it's a power issue rather than a temperature issue.

This. Also, to monitor ingame temperatures and fan speeds for a GPU, rivatuner is a good program. Looking at your ambient temps though, I honestly doubt this is the issue.

Be more specific than it just "shuts down"

Does it:
Make a looping sound?
Is there a blue screen of death?
Does it restart automatically, or after a few seconds?

We need to know these things, because it really could be almost any piece of hardware or even maybe software causing these crashes.

Tweezy
1 Oct 2010, 09:21am
Its ok i fixed it now. Turns out there was shit load of dust in the fans that cools the cpu.
Edit: Still shutdowns but after a while.

I would seriously tell everyone to try and clean there comp regularly, it can fix a hell of a lot of issues...

Also, please only change the heat options in the Bios if you REALLY know what your doing, if you don't even know what the bios is I would just recommend you stay out of it...

Try and get us another temperature screenshot while in-game please!

Wrathek
1 Oct 2010, 12:35pm

only thing i'd change is the "and GPUs" :P my gtx 480 was designed to run at 90C under load, no joke rofl

Labarr
1 Oct 2010, 01:14pm
Im a fucking idiot
oK shadow :thumb: this fits better :P

Shadowex3
1 Oct 2010, 09:26pm
We all make some really stupid mistakes while learning, the only thing is that we need to be careful about speaking from a position of authority on a significant forum like this one when handling issues related to power and temperature. Most things won't hurt someone, but those two can cause serious meatspace problems.

Labarr
1 Oct 2010, 09:31pm
We all make some really stupid mistakes while learning, the only thing is that we need to be careful about speaking from a position of authority on a significant forum like this one when handling issues related to power and temperature. Most things won't hurt someone, but those two can cause serious meatspace problems.
I understand. gotcha. Sorry for the inconvenience :rolleyes:

Shadowex3
1 Oct 2010, 11:26pm
Hey like I said we all learn man. When I was first starting out I plugged the 4-pin PCIE plug into the 4-pin CPU slot, forgot motherboard standoffs, and at one point even tried to jumpstart a DELL PSU.

Shine
2 Oct 2010, 09:01pm
Well during in game my temperature goes to 90c
I felt the cpu and it isnt as hot as 90c
i noticed that there is dust in the graphics card fan.
could the graphics card have something to do with it?

PotshotPolka
2 Oct 2010, 10:54pm
It's unlikely, all shit gets dusty. Even even if your graphics card hits 90C (which is still bad for most cards, look into using rivatuner fan profiles) it should only throttle back your performance, not cause a crash.

Once again, list in detail what happens when you crash/reboot.

Mr. Moop
2 Oct 2010, 11:04pm
Go to your BIOS and change the temperature your computer shuts off at..

[mod edit]

Don't do this, stuff shuts off at like 80-100C for a REASON when it overheats. That's hot enough to boil water in Fahrenheit, think about what letting your hardware run at that temperature would do. I've had to repair old prescotts that literally burned their motherboards to ash and charcoal because people didn't pay attention to the temperatures, there's a lot of stuff in a computer you DONT want to breathe if it burns, and electrical fires burning silicon, plastic, and metal do not go out easily. -Shadowex3

Duh.. x_x My apologies

Shine
3 Oct 2010, 02:30pm
Everytime i play games my cpu temperature goes fucking high and crashes in 10min
if im not playing games it will crash in 30min
thats all i can say.

Tweezy
3 Oct 2010, 03:23pm
The first thing that jumps into my head is that 90c is to high... Your fan might be faulty, can you make sure it's actually running please? If it is, I would recommend buying a new one, you can get a very good on for around £15 these days.

Shine
3 Oct 2010, 04:48pm
yea the fan is running fine
i might as well buy a new one :/
can you recomend me one?

Shine
5 Oct 2010, 07:32pm
NVM i fixed the problem myself. apparently there was barely thermal fluid on the cpu so i put on a new coat and now works perfectly. no crashes :)
Move this to fixed :)

Shadowex3
6 Oct 2010, 02:59pm
You know about working with thermalpaste but you said you don't understand complex technical instructions and want simpler more personalized help?

Not cool man, not cool.

Shine
6 Oct 2010, 03:52pm
lol my bad. i thought complex was going to be something totally difficult to understand.

Shadowex3
7 Oct 2010, 11:10pm
i think I'm gonna propose a rewording of that form...