PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Network Issue

SneakySnake
16 Sep 2010, 12:16pm
Can we post PS3 issues here?

Anyways, there is a huge networking problem with my PS3. I can't really play anything that has to do with PSN...the problem isn't PSN itself, but with online games. For example, this Saturday, on MW2 my connection was 4 bars and OPEN. Later that night, it became 1 bar and still OPEN. Every now and then it would become 3-4 bars again, but most of the time it was 1 bar, and pretty much unplayable. Now, for the last 3 days, when I try to connect to matchmaking it still connects fast, and then after about 20 seconds it gives me a error stating that there is no network connection detected. After about 5 errors, it disconnects me from PSN with a DNS error. Then, if I restart my PS3, the same thing happens again. I tried another online game, Warhawk. The same thing happens. I posted this on the Playstation forums, and received no helpful advice, other that to put my PS3's ip in the DMZ and unplugging and replugging router and modem. I did all of that, but this still happens. I contacted Sony and they said to do the port forwarding, which I did, and to make sure Media Server is disabled, which it was. Same problem. I replied with that, and they told me to contact Activision. I haven't contacted them yet, because this problem happens with more than just MW2...

Is my PS3 dieing? I have never had to do any port forwarding, or DMZ crap, or even set a Static IP for my PS3 (which I can't because I don't have my DNS set up because Bell sent us another router when our modem died, so we had to turn our 2nd router into a modem, and DNS doesn't work) ever before, and the connection was always perfect, 4 bars and OPEN. I have also always done the Easy network setup.

My PS3 was purchased around Christmas in 2006 (when the PS3 first came out)
It is currently wireless, and I have tried having it wired (I moved it into the the "office" and plugged it into the router with a monitor) and that didn't change anything.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need a new PS3?

Bilbo Baggins
17 Sep 2010, 06:14pm
Can we post PS3 issues here?

Anyways, there is a huge networking problem with my PS3. I can't really play anything that has to do with PSN...the problem isn't PSN itself, but with online games. For example, this Saturday, on MW2 my connection was 4 bars and OPEN. Later that night, it became 1 bar and still OPEN. Every now and then it would become 3-4 bars again, but most of the time it was 1 bar, and pretty much unplayable. Now, for the last 3 days, when I try to connect to matchmaking it still connects fast, and then after about 20 seconds it gives me a error stating that there is no network connection detected. After about 5 errors, it disconnects me from PSN with a DNS error. Then, if I restart my PS3, the same thing happens again. I tried another online game, Warhawk. The same thing happens. I posted this on the Playstation forums, and received no helpful advice, other that to put my PS3's ip in the DMZ and unplugging and replugging router and modem. I did all of that, but this still happens. I contacted Sony and they said to do the port forwarding, which I did, and to make sure Media Server is disabled, which it was. Same problem. I replied with that, and they told me to contact Activision. I haven't contacted them yet, because this problem happens with more than just MW2...

Is my PS3 dieing? I have never had to do any port forwarding, or DMZ crap, or even set a Static IP for my PS3 (which I can't because I don't have my DNS set up because Bell sent us another router when our modem died, so we had to turn our 2nd router into a modem, and DNS doesn't work) ever before, and the connection was always perfect, 4 bars and OPEN. I have also always done the Easy network setup.

My PS3 was purchased around Christmas in 2006 (when the PS3 first came out)
It is currently wireless, and I have tried having it wired (I moved it into the the "office" and plugged it into the router with a monitor) and that didn't change anything.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need a new PS3?

Point of interest what does DNS have to do with a static IP? DHCP handles addressing, and if you're connecting to your network and to the internet you have DHCP set up. Also what do you mean by "OPEN" because if your network is unsecured that could be part of the problem. I'm also a tad confused over the whole "turn[ing] our 2nd router into a modem".

Could you try to be a bit more specific please? Using the helpful form at the top of the page is a good start =)

SneakySnake
19 Sep 2010, 04:34pm
Point of interest what does DNS have to do with a static IP? DHCP handles addressing, and if you're connecting to your network and to the internet you have DHCP set up. Also what do you mean by "OPEN" because if your network is unsecured that could be part of the problem. I'm also a tad confused over the whole "turn[ing] our 2nd router into a modem".

Could you try to be a bit more specific please? Using the helpful form at the top of the page is a good start =)

Open NAT type means something like your connection is very strong. I don't remember how exactly the 2nd router was made to act like a modem, but I had called the dlink support line for network help an they asked for the model number and after I gave her all the info she told us bell set us a router an she told us to do a few things to trick the router.

I haven't tried my ps3 all weekend, but I'll go see if the problem still exists.

Gator
19 Sep 2010, 06:01pm
Are you running on a locked and secure network?

SneakySnake
19 Sep 2010, 08:15pm
Are you running on a locked and secure network?

Yes

Gator
20 Sep 2010, 07:10am
Yes

Oh well, That killed my idea. If you weren't, I highly would doubt someone within a radius of your house would not hack a open internet source...Unless you have WEP, In which a skilled hacker could easily hack past.

SneakySnake
20 Sep 2010, 02:54pm
Oh well, That killed my idea. If you weren't, I highly would doubt someone within a radius of your house would not hack a open internet source...Unless you have WEP, In which a skilled hacker could easily hack past.

Most of the people around me are old Chinese or Indian families, who probably don't know how to fully operate a computer.

Shadowex3
21 Dec 2010, 11:18pm
Any updates or is this thread concluded?