PDA

View Full Version : WiFi issue

Bob Loblaw
15 Sep 2010, 06:29pm
Now I don't expect you guys to know this, but here goes.

My iPod touch's wifi seems to have a strange issue. At home it works fine, but at the university it always says "Safari cannot open the web page because it can't find the server" or something. And I'm pretty darn sure it is connected to the internet (when it isn't it says something about "argument invalid").

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Google usually works, but once I go into a different site (or even google images often) it stops. Often SG will work until I click like 2 links then it cuts out.

I *think* if I enter the direct IP (like 208.39.60.19) or w/e it works (?), I used a site to ping this site to find the IP, and I entered that but it said it didn't exist. So does anyone know the IP to this site so I can test it out sometime?

Or has anyone heard of this before?

Labarr
15 Sep 2010, 06:32pm
Now I don't expect you guys to know this, but here goes.

My iPod touch's wifi seems to have a strange issue. At home it works fine, but at the university it always says "Safari cannot open the web page because it can't find the server" or something. And I'm pretty darn sure it is connected to the internet (when it isn't it says something about "argument invalid").

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Google usually works, but once I go into a different site (or even google images often) it stops. Often SG will work until I click like 2 links then it cuts out.

I *think* if I enter the direct IP (like 208.39.60.19) or w/e it works (?), I used a site to ping this site to find the IP, and I entered that but it said it didn't exist. So does anyone know the IP to this site so I can test it out sometime?

Or has anyone heard of this before?

What if you open an app that needs the iternet does it work? If it DOES then you should prolly sync your ipod to your comp and restore it.

Veggie
15 Sep 2010, 06:33pm
Check with the university and see if they are blocking WiFi would be my suggestion.

Bob Loblaw
15 Sep 2010, 06:51pm
What if you open an app that needs the iternet does it work? If it DOES then you should prolly sync your ipod to your comp and restore it.

I think it does, because I haven't had a problem *yet* downloading apps. (Which obviously require internet). Haven't checked aside from that. I might sync and restore it though.

Check with the university and see if they are blocking WiFi would be my suggestion.

They aren't because my laptop WiFi works perfectly fine. And sometimes it works on my iPod.

Bilbo Baggins
15 Sep 2010, 07:11pm
some kind of ipod touch dns issue?

Shadowex3
15 Sep 2010, 08:48pm
some kind of ipod touch dns issue?

Exactly this. DNS service is what makes you able to go to "www.google.com" instead of having to shove an IP address into the URL bar. If your DNS doesn't work you cant use URLs but you can still go directly to an IP address.

Bob Loblaw
15 Sep 2010, 09:31pm
Exactly this. DNS service is what makes you able to go to "www.google.com" instead of having to shove an IP address into the URL bar. If your DNS doesn't work you cant use URLs but you can still go directly to an IP address.

I googled around, and came up with this. A DNS issue, hence why I tried using a direct IP to google.co.uk or something and it worked seemingly flawlessly.
How can I get the direct IP to different sites? Like this one.

Like I said I tried using an external site to ping this one and it came back with one, I put it in and it came up with an error (wrong IP I think). So how can I get direct IP's to sites easily?
This is the IP I get: 69.175.59.122
Then when I go there I get this:

Website Not Located

The website you are trying to access could not be located on this server. If you are trying to visit the secure (https) version of this website, please retype the URL without https.

Harry
15 Sep 2010, 09:34pm
I googled around, and came up with this. A DNS issue, hence why I tried using a direct IP to google.co.uk or something and it worked seemingly flawlessly.
How can I get the direct IP to different sites? Like this one.

Like I said I tried using an external site to ping this one and it came back with one, I put it in and it came up with an error (wrong IP I think). So how can I get direct IP's to sites easily?
"An IP does not a website make". One IP usually features many websites on it. A simple way to get the IP would be to: "ping website.tld" in cmd.

I know nothing about iPod Touches, but there should be a setting to set a custom DNS server. Try setting 1: "8.8.8.8", 2: "8.8.4.4".

KScorp
15 Sep 2010, 10:12pm
Do what Harry said. In case you don't know how...

Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Arrow next to the network you are currently connected to > Enter "8.8.8.8" into the DNS field.

If you're wondering exactly what 8.8.8.8 is, it's Google's public DNS. The same with 8.8.4.4.

Bob Loblaw
16 Sep 2010, 10:10pm
Ok thanks. Yeah I found out how to do that, but wasn't sure what it did :P.

So will that near guaranteed fix my problem? I am pretty sure it is a DNS issue, so will this allow me to use google's DNS and bypass any issues that the wifi at school was giving me? (I can't test right now because I don't go back to school until monday.

Harry
16 Sep 2010, 10:18pm
So will that near guaranteed fix my problem? I am pretty sure it is a DNS issue, so will this allow me to use google's DNS and bypass any issues that the wifi at school was giving me? (I can't test right now because I don't go back to school until monday.
No way to be sure. If it fixes it, awesome. If it doesn't fix it, there might be some other problem. I am pretty sure that would be the issue though.

So TIAS.

Dirk
20 Sep 2010, 05:59pm
it is so a dns issue. try using alternative dns servers if those dont work.