PDA

View Full Version : PC Crashes (Hardware troubleshooting)

Haggard
14 Sep 2010, 12:40pm
OK here is my problem. I play CSS for 1-20 minutes then my computer locks up. I lose video to the monitor (no signal) and keyboard lights stop working but the pc is still lit up like a Xmas tree. I restart and nothing is in my event logs to help solve the issue. Also, I have the latest video drivers and nvidia control panel installed so I dont think it is driver related. I will list everything I have tried so far and I would like some suggestions as to what to try next.

What I have already tried:

Monitored my component temperatures and opened my case to allow max air flow (thus it is not overheating).
Replaced my video card with an spare identical card (thus it is not my v-card).
Replaced my RAM with an identical spare set (thus it is not my RAM).
Uninstalled and reinstalled CSS on my computer (still same issue).

What do you think I should try next? I am trying my best to avoid replacing my mother board and CPU but I do have backups for those as well.

Labarr
14 Sep 2010, 12:50pm
Try running a video stress test maybe..
And you should preoly back up anything you want just in case shit gets hairy.

And you play css?!?!! :thumb:

Spiffy
14 Sep 2010, 01:03pm
Did you delete the counter strike source folder when you reinstalled CSS? I would consider backing up your config, maps, etc. and completely reinstalling steam. I don't know about the steam folder but I know that steam doesn't delete the counter strike folder when you uninstall it. (even though it says delete local content)

Haggard
14 Sep 2010, 01:08pm
Did you delete the counter strike source folder when you reinstalled CSS? I would consider backing up your config, maps, etc. and completely reinstalling steam. I don't know about the steam folder but I know that steam doesn't delete the counter strike folder when you uninstall it. (even though it says delete local content)

I manually deleted all css folders and reinstalled and yes I backed up maps and configs.

Daze
14 Sep 2010, 01:14pm
To me that sounds like more of a power issue. Losing power to the monitor/keyboard etc.

Does the keyboard stop working or is it just 'the lights' that are off?

Spiffy
14 Sep 2010, 01:19pm
Assuming it's not software related, it would come down to the power supply reaching a limit, the hard drive failing or some issue the with mobo/cpu.

Jazz
14 Sep 2010, 01:25pm
And this happens when you ONLY play css?

Tweezy
14 Sep 2010, 01:31pm
This doesn't seem like a game related problem... More of a hardware issue, can you post your specs please? Your PSU might not be able to cope, thus it's trying to regulate the power giving you these problems... Maybe ;)

Labarr
14 Sep 2010, 02:42pm
what settings are you playing css and other games at?

barackobama
14 Sep 2010, 02:52pm
follow these steps;

take the penis out your ass, and it will work. thanks

Shadowex3
14 Sep 2010, 06:05pm
If it was the PSU then either the computer would get rebooted totally due to loss of power or the magic smoke would start getting pushed out due to a spike (or just plain overload). That the tower keeps all its stuff going basically rules out any NORMAL psu problem. If it IS the PSU at this point then not only is something wrong but the safety features aren't working right anymore and that's a perfect setup for a catastrophic (also known as "spectacular" and "pyrotechnical") failure. The interesting thing is that you lose video output but the tower keeps going.

Try running Rthdribl and Prime95, lets stress your computer to the limits and see what's going on. You're not OCed right?

Kaos
14 Sep 2010, 06:11pm
Did you get a new power cable recently? And do you have the requirements for CS:S? I used to have the same problem, but after i got more RAM, the problem fixed itself. Good Luck!

Wrathek
15 Sep 2010, 01:49pm
1. Try putting the graphics settings to like lowest textures and at 1024x768. If nothing happens, then the power supply is spiking just enough to shut off the video card and possibly the USB ports (and therefore you would def need a new PSU, beyond not being powerful enough, it is as shadow said, broken to a frightening state)

2. (what i deem the most probable) The mobo is fucked. There's probably something wrong with the pci express slots, which possibly also sends spikes out the usb ports as well when it surges. (i assume by the fact that the keyboard still works its a cheapo "just-keys" kind of keyboard. i bet a g-15 or the ilk would be fried to oblivion)

Shadowex3
15 Sep 2010, 08:50pm
Its not spiking wrathek, electronics will tolerate it a bit and then shutdown when recieving too little juice but if you give something without what's basically a complicated circuit breaker in it (like PSUs are supposed to have) too much juice then it just gets hotter until the magic smoke gets out.

Haggard
16 Sep 2010, 12:44pm
More things I have tried:

Swapped out the PSU with my backup but nothing happened (backup PSU does not work).
Swapped out the power cable for a new looking one.
Replaced the VGA cable on my monitor.

*Still have the same issue. It crashes 100% of the time when playing CSS within minutes. It will crashed after maybe an hour of surfing the web watch youtube. It has not crashed playing COH but that might just be luck.

Haggard
16 Sep 2010, 12:47pm
1. Try putting the graphics settings to like lowest textures and at 1024x768. If nothing happens, then the power supply is spiking just enough to shut off the video card and possibly the USB ports (and therefore you would def need a new PSU, beyond not being powerful enough, it is as shadow said, broken to a frightening state)

2. (what i deem the most probable) The mobo is fucked. There's probably something wrong with the pci express slots, which possibly also sends spikes out the usb ports as well when it surges. (i assume by the fact that the keyboard still works its a cheapo "just-keys" kind of keyboard. i bet a g-15 or the ilk would be fried to oblivion)

I have played with the texture settings and that does nothing, FYI this is the same rig I have had for 2 years and this problem just started. It can handle CSS on high settings.

When it locks up the keyboard lights are still on but do not respond. The entire PC is dead locked.

Spiffy
16 Sep 2010, 12:58pm
Edit: Ugh missed the first post.

I just remembered having seen a similar issue like this and it turned out to be a corrupt video card driver not responding. Try uninstalling the driver and then using driver sweeper to make sure it's completely gone and then trying again.

Driver Sweeper: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Jazz
16 Sep 2010, 01:18pm
When I used to play CSS, my laptop would automatically shut itself. I did the following things and my laptop was fine afterwards:

- Install full anti-virus program. Might be a virus distracting/irritating your graphics. Who knows.

- System reboot. (Restarts your comp completely) Or it just might be your mobo like the others are saying.

- Made sure my cooling system was working so system doesn't get too hot. Obviously you've already done that, but it worked for me.

Good luck.

Tweezy
16 Sep 2010, 01:19pm
it could be anything hardware related... If you have any spare parts I would try swapping them around until the problem stops, once it has you know where you stand.

For example, start changing the ram, if that doesn't help try the hard drive... Then CPU and graphic card, if nothing happens it just could be a fucked up mobo my friend.

Haggard
16 Sep 2010, 01:30pm
The only hardware that I have not swapped out and cant swap out without spending money is my Mobo/PSU/CPU/HDD.

Other then purchasing new parts I am left with only one more option to rebuild the OS and see what happens. I just dont know when I will have time for that.

FYI: If anyone want to buy me a new computer I would not say "NO".......

Tweezy
16 Sep 2010, 04:02pm
Suppose you could always try a format and start fresh, Windows can sometimes do the most randomness of things...

Tweezy
17 Sep 2010, 09:14am
Bump:

May be a problem with your CPU, how old is it? The CPU manages all voltage around your comp, could be your problem.

Wrathek
17 Sep 2010, 02:09pm
Its not spiking wrathek, electronics will tolerate it a bit and then shutdown when recieving too little juice but if you give something without what's basically a complicated circuit breaker in it (like PSUs are supposed to have) too much juice then it just gets hotter until the magic smoke gets out.

thanks, i have no knowledge of electronics, all three years so far of EE have been useless :mmph:

Shadowex3
17 Sep 2010, 05:50pm
thanks, i have no knowledge of electronics, all three years so far of EE have been useless :mmph:

And if we were calculating things and wiring up circuits I'd defer to you but claiming three years of EE makes you an expert on troubleshooting computers is like a physicist claiming their masters makes them an expert marksman, or a gyno claiming He A Player.

Raise the voltage on your CPU without OCing sometime, see what happens. It'll just run hotter until you let the magic smoke out. If it was spiking something should've blown now, if no magic smoke is out I'm going to guess it's dipping rather than spiking and that's why the thing shuts down video out and hangs rather than blowing out pieces.

Haggard
19 Sep 2010, 03:06am
I will be rebuilding the OS on Monday. Till then I am stuck with COH.

Wrathek
21 Sep 2010, 01:47pm
And if we were calculating things and wiring up circuits I'd defer to you but claiming three years of EE makes you an expert on troubleshooting computers is like a physicist claiming their masters makes them an expert marksman, or a gyno claiming He A Player.

Raise the voltage on your CPU without OCing sometime, see what happens. It'll just run hotter until you let the magic smoke out. If it was spiking something should've blown now, if no magic smoke is out I'm going to guess it's dipping rather than spiking and that's why the thing shuts down video out and hangs rather than blowing out pieces.

Lol. I've also got A+ certification, and have been working at my job as IT support for the past 5 years. All im saying is calling me stupid on the subject because i said "spiking" when it didn't make "magic smoke" is asinine.

Shadowex3
21 Sep 2010, 06:36pm
Wrathek you've known me for years, do you really think if I was calling you stupid that you wouldn't see the word "stupid" in my post anywhere? Trust me dude, if I wanted to insult you there would be no mistaking it.

WackyIraqi
21 Sep 2010, 08:18pm
Your best bet is to rebuild your hard drive (like you plan on doing), that should eliminate any software causes. Also be sure to remove any modifications done to the hardware (in terms of overclocking).If the problem still persists, than it sounds like your motherboard that is the cause of this issue.

Cons
21 Sep 2010, 08:31pm
I actually had this problem with my old nvidia 9600 gt. I had to underclock the card, it must have been a faulty one. I have a new card now thankfully. I did all you did and it didnt work, i installed rivatuner and underclocked the card.. i forget by how much but i guess you can try doing this. Does this happen on every game>? it did for me. Also, in rivatuner put your fans to 100% since they are only at like 20% Right now. Hope this helps, Hope it fixes it for you!

Wrathek
23 Sep 2010, 02:48pm
Wrathek you've known me for years, do you really think if I was calling you stupid that you wouldn't see the word "stupid" in my post anywhere? Trust me dude, if I wanted to insult you there would be no mistaking it.

its probably mostly my hatred of your avatar. go back to the attractive azn. i get angry with this horsefaced bitch.

Shadowex3
24 Sep 2010, 04:55am
I'm working on it, I spend most of my time posting from my phone or laptop at school or on the bus though and I can't exactly sift through trannies to find a good one in public. Normals get uppity about that sort of thing.

Mr. Moop
26 Sep 2010, 01:08am
I believe this is a hardware issue.. double check and make sure your hardware is compatible, or nothing needs to be exchanged such as your power supply (as Daze said). Either way, something isn't getting what it is needing in order to function or getting too much and shutting down.

Tweezy
29 Sep 2010, 12:28am
If reformatting ur OS doesn't seem to work, it could be a CPU problem.