PDA

View Full Version : Remove Mic Limit

Bob Loblaw
12 Sep 2010, 08:14pm
Not everyone who uses the mic mic spams. The mic limit has screwed me over countless times because I had a lot of important information to relay, but then I couldn't get it out, had to start typing, got killed.

Remove it now, or I'll find another server (not trying to whine, but this just seriouslyyyy screwed me over a few rounds in a row).

Nasdaqian
12 Sep 2010, 09:37pm
We shud just mute all teh spamzors?

jeN
12 Sep 2010, 10:01pm
Is there even an option/command to disable it?

Nasu
12 Sep 2010, 11:30pm
If its the battery thing, then yes there is a command to disable it.

These are the voicechat battery convars available for tuning. They take effect when a new round starts.
ttt_voice_drain (def. 0):
Enables the voicechat battery feature. Voicechatting reduces a battery meter, when it's empty the player can't voicechat and must wait a few seconds for it to recharge.

ttt_voice_drain_normal (def. 0.2):
Battery drain per tick of voicechat for non-admin players.

ttt_voice_drain_admin (def. 0.05):
Battery drain per tick of voicechat for admins. Set to 0 to allow infinite mic usage.

ttt_voice_drain_recharge (def. 0.05):
Battery recharge rate per tick of not voicechatting.

Bob Loblaw
13 Sep 2010, 11:36am
I would disable it completely. I don't like mic spam, but this hinders gameplay more than it helps with micspam. And there (when I'm in there) there is always an admin in there (haha, but seriously, even aside from me, there's usually at least 1 other admin) so they can take action against mic spam.

ConnorC
13 Sep 2010, 12:39pm
Idk as I don't talk in mic, so i don't know how long this limit is, but, if were serious, you hardly ever have to use your mic except when you know who's a t, most people talk all the time in ttt so thats why their mics probably run out

Spartan
13 Sep 2010, 12:53pm
What information is so important it lasts your entire mic bar and then runs out before you finish? I've rarely ever had to let it run out to talk. You seriously don't need to say anything other than "THIS GUY JUST KILLED THIS GUY" "SO AND SO IS THE TRAITOR". And if you stop playing a server because you talk to much then LOL.

Not to mention the entire concept is experimental. I added it to test it out to help BKU. Stop thinking of yourself for once jesus.

Harman277
13 Sep 2010, 02:15pm
idk about the speak bar its fine and spartan sead it all

Bilbo Baggins
13 Sep 2010, 03:07pm
On one hand it does stop people who don't stfu (me included), but on the other hand it is pretty annoying when you're trying to relate information about something that is happening at that moment or ask someone a question about what they are doing if they are being sketchy. I think the bar should just be made to last a little bit longer and then everyone (well me at least) would be happy.

Bob Loblaw
13 Sep 2010, 03:10pm
What information is so important it lasts your entire mic bar and then runs out before you finish? I've rarely ever had to let it run out to talk. You seriously don't need to say anything other than "THIS GUY JUST KILLED THIS GUY" "SO AND SO IS THE TRAITOR". And if you stop playing a server because you talk to much then LOL.

Not to mention the entire concept is experimental. I added it to test it out to help BKU. Stop thinking of yourself for once jesus.

Are you saying you don't want feedback on your experimental thing? Because I gave it, and you're mad.

And yes I would, SG's server is good, so I like playing there, but I'm active, and I try to constantly give out all the information I know so if I die people know what I know. Not being able to talk ruins the fun for me.

Mg, escape, anything but TTT and this wouldn't be a problem. But TTT is HEAVILY reliant on talking, whereas other gamemodes aren't.

I was playing, and people started accusing me for no reason saying I shot, I tried to explain to them that I didn't and they kept accusing me, and I kept trying to explain. Then my mic bar ran out and they killed me.
The ENTIRE game is based around using your mic. You can point blank try to kill someone, fail, and still survive if you are good at talking your way out of things, I've done it.

It's not necessarily that it doesn't last long enough, but it recharges too slowly. I would be feeding out information on who I thought it could be, and where I thought they could be, and why I thought it was them, then mic bar is out, and I get attacked by the traitor, and I can't even get their name out in time because my mic bar hadn't recharged yet.

I wasn't trying to whine, but for me, this is game breaking. If most people like it then sure, keep it on there. But when I was in there I didn't even know what it was until other people started complaining and I clued in that most people probably couldn't hear a word I was saying because my mic bar was gone.

I want what's best for the server, so if people want it that's fine, but I have heard quite a few complaints in game, so I brought it to your attention as feedback.

So sorry for thinking of myself.

As for Bilbo, I agree, a little longer would be nice, but it needs faster recharge more than length.

Bullet Wound
13 Sep 2010, 03:12pm

Its awful, talking is part of the game and to limit people on that is just pointless.

Edit:

If you're really really keen on keeping this than at the very least, the recharge rate has to be faster than the deplete rate. However like I said talking is a pretty important part of the game.

(Also it doesn't affect Traitor chat, didn't know if you knew that or not)

Spartan
13 Sep 2010, 05:27pm
The fact you stated you wouldn't play the server and it breaks the entire game concept is yes thinking of yourself. If information is really that important, don't spend your mic time talking about trivial things. All I can do is make it deplete slower. Once u're bar is gone completely you simply HAVE to wait.

Also if what bullet said about having it not affect traitors is true then yeah I might remove it because that could be a problem with figuring out who a traitor is.

Spartan
13 Sep 2010, 05:51pm
K I halfed the rate of depletion. From what BKU told me, it depletes depending on tick so... he said if you start with 100 units, it depletes 6 units every second. That's over a minute and a half of talking.... I would think that's enough if you ask me lol.

Bob Loblaw
13 Sep 2010, 06:09pm
Thank you. And no it doesn't affect traitor talk. It affects traitors talking, just not their shift aka traitor only talk. And depletion rate being reduced is very similar to increasing regen wait so I'll give it a go.that sounds like it should be ample time. It just seemed to go by so fast before.
Sorry for sounding like I was only thinking of myself.

Spartan
14 Sep 2010, 06:33am
I worked it out wrong somehow. 6 units per second would mean 16-17 seconds, not min and a half lol. Halving it would mean you get 32-34 seconds now. Over half a minute.

PingPong
14 Sep 2010, 11:42am
Stupid imo but I can see how it helps

Bullet Wound
14 Sep 2010, 02:54pm
I worked it out wrong somehow. 6 units per second would mean 16-17 seconds, not min and a half lol. Halving it would mean you get 32-34 seconds now. Over half a minute.

What about the rate of regeneration right now? Does this mean we need to (still) wait around 30 seconds from complete depletion to a full bar still?

Spartan
14 Sep 2010, 03:39pm
What about the rate of regeneration right now? Does this mean we need to (still) wait around 30 seconds from complete depletion to a full bar still?

I don't know.

SoulKeeper
14 Sep 2010, 04:48pm
1. talk because traitors are shit and not doing anything
2. run out of charge
3. get attacked by traitors
4. Sp-???
5. success

Bad Dog
14 Sep 2010, 05:45pm
I really dont even see the point. Mic spam has never been a problem for TTT server, and if someone is mic spamming there is almost always an admin in the server to deal with it. I dont like it just because its just another thing distracting me from the game, I have to watch that damn bar to make sure I still have enough bar to tell a good dead baby joke AND warn players of impending traitor attacks.

Nasu
15 Sep 2010, 06:07am
I don't know.

These are the voicechat battery convars available for tuning. They take effect when a new round starts.
ttt_voice_drain (def. 0):
Enables the voicechat battery feature. Voicechatting reduces a battery meter, when it's empty the player can't voicechat and must wait a few seconds for it to recharge.

ttt_voice_drain_normal (def. 0.2):
Battery drain per tick of voicechat for non-admin players.

ttt_voice_drain_admin (def. 0.05):
Battery drain per tick of voicechat for admins. Set to 0 to allow infinite mic usage.

ttt_voice_drain_recharge (def. 0.05):
Battery recharge rate per tick of not voicechatting.

I do, just check that value on the server. I don't know how long is a "tick" though

Spartan
15 Sep 2010, 07:52am
I do, just check that value on the server. I don't know how long is a "tick" though

Good thing you can copy and paste the release page without knowing what the values mean lol.

Nasu
15 Sep 2010, 07:55am
Good thing you can copy and paste the release page without knowing what the values mean lol.

I expected you to know what a tick is, just not the rate :P

Spartan
15 Sep 2010, 08:31am
I expected you to know what a tick is, just not the rate :P

It's that thing you get in school when you get lots of answers right for the teacher? Amirite?

Bob Loblaw
15 Sep 2010, 08:50am
Make the recharge rate .1. It'll mean that it will recharge in about 15 seconds instead of 30.
Or you could do 1.5 so it recharges in about 10 seconds? That way you can't be on the mic foreverrrrr but you shouldn't notice it much if your layin off the mic now and again.

And one of the issues is that TTT players are really bad. I got on the elevator and the other person pulled out knife I started yelling it's frost it's frost it's frost it's frost a good 8 or more times before he shanked me and even STILL they almost let him off the hook. Just saying someone name isn't enough because they don't listen. You have to spam their name and even then it's 50/50.

Nasu
15 Sep 2010, 08:52am
If you'll tell me what ttt_voice_drain_normal is on the server, I can tell what a tick is :D

Make the recharge rate .1. It'll mean that it will recharge in about 15 seconds instead of 30.
Or you could do 1.5 so it recharges in about 10 seconds? That way you can't be on the mic foreverrrrr but you shouldn't notice it much if your layin off the mic now and again.

And one of the issues is that TTT players are really bad. I got on the elevator and the other person pulled out knife I started yelling it's frost it's frost it's frost it's frost a good 8 or more times before he shanked me and even STILL they almost let him off the hook. Just saying someone name isn't enough because they don't listen. You have to spam their name and even then it's 50/50.

And imo TTT isnt about who shouts the name of their killer most. I dont really have an opinion on the voicechat battery for reasons unknown, but I don't really see the good it does, it just makes people use text more.

And one of the issues is that TTT players are really bad.
BUT THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE.

Dark Torcher
15 Sep 2010, 05:01pm
yes talking and bs is very important in ttt, sometimes I run out and sometimes I might say only a few words that round, it all depends which is why having a predefined mic limit detracts from the gameplay

example of good diversion
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5288/sacv.png

mikeypoo
15 Sep 2010, 08:02pm
I play TTT every day and mic spam is never a problem. This addition isn't necessary and is also sometimes a cause of RDM/traitor kills because you run out of mic and have to start typing. Get rid of it.

-Edit-
Great idea but it will not work in TTT. Use it in RP where microphones aren't very useful in gameplay.

Octa
15 Sep 2010, 08:32pm
I play TTT every day and mic spam is never a problem. This addition isn't necessary and is also sometimes a cause of RDM/traitor kills because you run out of mic and have to start typing. Get rid of it.

-Edit-
Great idea but it will not work in TTT. Use it in RP where microphones aren't very useful in gameplay.

I've got to agree with that. One of the things people play onlines games for is to talk to other people to make up for the life they dont have irl, and they ARE going to talk. Enough admins are on that this isnt a problem, but with the talk limit, some of these players (Myself included) are probably going to get bored. It is MUCH better now than it was to begin with, when i could barely fit in 2 or 3 sentences before i ran out, and i have not run out since you changed the settings, but TTT is a social mod. It requires lots of talking, or at least a moderate amount.

Spiritwind
16 Sep 2010, 01:30am
If anything see if you can get this in PB for the prisoners. Talking in TTT can be too vital and not once have I ran into a mic spammer.
Its a good idea for some of the servers spartan, but I have to agree with the others that TTT isnt one of them.

Spjerre
16 Sep 2010, 02:55am
The ENTIRE game is based around using your mic.

Tell that to Nasu

Spartan
16 Sep 2010, 06:31am
Firstly, this is something specific to garrysmod and specific to ttt. This cannot be replicated without a lot of work onto dark rp and especially not onto css.

Secondly, I played ttt last night. The recharge rate is so fast, I rarely even see my bar above my mic when I stop talking. In fact, my bar never even reached half way depleted unless I just kept it on without sayin anything.

How can you all be saying it depletes to quick, or it recharges to slow. Unless you're talking for a good 30 seconds straight without letting go of your mic then yeah it will be depleted. But then in that case you just let go of your mic for like 5 seconds and it's almost full again.

Jesus christ people.

jeN
16 Sep 2010, 10:01am

I'd venture to say part of the players being really bad is unnecessary mic spam, as once someone starts talking about their day, unrelated things, etc, I start to tone out mics almost completely. Thus not knowing what the hell is going on anymore. Add this into being on vent almost all the time with people who constantly talk, the unnecessary mic spam becomes too much talking for me so I just go wander around myself, not paying attention to anything.

I've never came come to depleting my mic limit, but maybe that's just me and the fact I never hold my mic down continuously. I've always let off of it for a bit even if I was saying a lot.

Bob Loblaw
16 Sep 2010, 11:45am
Now it recharges muchhh faster so I don't have a problem with it, but I still do keep an eye on it which sometimes distracts me.
I don't see it as much of an issue anymore because of it's extended time and fast recharge rate, but it does seem to be fixing a problem that never seemed to exist (to me).

I can't see it mattering between leaving it as is, or removing it. With its length + recharge rate you really do have to spam a lottt to deplete it and even still it recharges very quickly. So I don't see it as an issue anymore. Thanks Spartan for fixing it.

Octa
16 Sep 2010, 03:12pm
Now it recharges muchhh faster so I don't have a problem with it, but I still do keep an eye on it which sometimes distracts me.
I don't see it as much of an issue anymore because of it's extended time and fast recharge rate, but it does seem to be fixing a problem that never seemed to exist (to me).

I can't see it mattering between leaving it as is, or removing it. With its length + recharge rate you really do have to spam a lottt to deplete it and even still it recharges very quickly. So I don't see it as an issue anymore. Thanks Spartan for fixing it.

What he said

Bullet Wound
16 Sep 2010, 05:15pm
Firstly, this is something specific to garrysmod and specific to ttt. This cannot be replicated without a lot of work onto dark rp and especially not onto css.

Secondly, I played ttt last night. The recharge rate is so fast, I rarely even see my bar above my mic when I stop talking. In fact, my bar never even reached half way depleted unless I just kept it on without sayin anything.

How can you all be saying it depletes to quick, or it recharges to slow. Unless you're talking for a good 30 seconds straight without letting go of your mic then yeah it will be depleted. But then in that case you just let go of your mic for like 5 seconds and it's almost full again.

Jesus christ people.

Well...thats because we said it before you changed all of it lol. No one posted things saying it was bad after you fixed it a bit, I've played since then and its not nearly as big of an issue anymore (though I still see little point in it).

Spartan
16 Sep 2010, 06:03pm
Pretty much every post after Nasu's was when I changed it. Just because it wasn't your or Bob complaining doesn't mean it wasn't valid?

Bullet Wound
17 Sep 2010, 11:49am
Pretty much every post after Nasu's was when I changed it. Just because it wasn't your or Bob complaining doesn't mean it wasn't valid?

I saw three posts which said they didn't want it (not that they tested it and it was bad).

And yes, their opinions don't matter seeing as I have NEVER seen any of the three actually play TTT.

Spartan
18 Sep 2010, 06:00am
I saw three posts which said they didn't want it (not that they tested it and it was bad).

And yes, their opinions don't matter seeing as I have NEVER seen any of the three actually play TTT.

K.

Kaos
23 Sep 2010, 05:02pm
I like the classic, STFU *ban* method. Getting screwed over because of the other mic spammers on Steam isnt fair. Disable please, or possibly just apply it to people that have been banned for mic spamming somehow..

Kaos
23 Sep 2010, 05:03pm
I like the classic, STFU *ban* method. Getting screwed over because of the other mic spammers on Steam isnt fair. Disable please, or possibly just apply it to people that have been banned for mic spamming somehow..

(...you do have their Steam ID in the Ban Log. Just throwing that out there.)