PDA

View Full Version : GTS 250 artifacting like CRAZY

Toxin
6 Sep 2010, 07:22am
Okay, so I have a 1GB GTS 250 from Palit, and it artifacts on APB and BFBC2 after about 10 minutes of play. I thought it was related to those games and some kind of isolated error, but earlier, whilst playing CoH, it artficated, locked up my OS and forced me to hard restart my computer. It's really frustrating, does anyone know what the problem is?

Tweezy
6 Sep 2010, 08:29am
Sounds to me like your GPU is overheating, run

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

and check the temperature while gaming, then get back to us!

Toxin
6 Sep 2010, 09:02am
Well, it never gets over 65 degrees. Reason is I manually put the GPU fan on 100% and I have a 120mm blowing directly at it as well.

Spiffy
6 Sep 2010, 10:05am
If it's not overheating then it's likely just defective.

duhoh
6 Sep 2010, 10:07am
artifacts plus lock-ups usually means that it's overheating. even if the manual fan is at 100%, maybe invest in an aftermarket cooling solution, such as a zalman fan?

i'd personally do a complete uninstall of the drivers (look for a nvidia driver cleaner from google) and try either the same or different forceware set.

worse case scenario it's what spiffy said.

Shadowex3
6 Sep 2010, 01:56pm
Temp sensors on those guys are usually pretty accurate. If its not overheating then it could just be having a lot of errors, especially if it's overclocked. GT 250's are just higher end GT series cards that failed a few tests and got some stuff cut out of the silicon to strip them down.

Tweezy
6 Sep 2010, 02:54pm
Tbh, the GTS cards to renown for overheating, I would suggest purchasing a better fan then the stock, if that doesn't help then we'll have to think about something else.

Toxin
6 Sep 2010, 03:29pm
I'll take it out later and dust it off. Also, I just BSOD on BFBC2 earlier. Any ideas?

Edit: According to RealTemp, the max temperature was 64 degrees.

Lordcrazy
6 Sep 2010, 05:07pm
Oh crud, if it starts to BSOD then you may have the same problem I had a year or two ago. Except I had a different card, you may just have to go and grab a new card if this is where it's going.

Toxin
6 Sep 2010, 05:26pm
What problem did you have?

Shadowex3
6 Sep 2010, 07:48pm
What power supply do you have?

duhoh
6 Sep 2010, 11:27pm
What power supply do you have?

true, it could be that. i had those issues before only to find out my PSU was lacking.

Tweezy
7 Sep 2010, 05:28am
Tell us the exact specs of your comp, maybe your PSU isn't good enough to cope.

Dirk
7 Sep 2010, 11:43am
If thats the card that is just a rebranded 9800 GTX+ then it is likely cooling. i would reinstall drivers anyway though.

Toxin
7 Sep 2010, 02:31pm
Processor
Intel Core i7 860(2.8GHz)
Processor Main Features
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory
4GB (2GB x 2) DDR3 1600
Hard Drive
500GB SATAII
Optical Drive 1
24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 1GB
Audio
Sound card - Integrated
Power Supply
700W

Those are the specs. I know the PSU is a 700W Xion "TruePower" PSU.

Shadowex3
7 Sep 2010, 05:03pm
There's (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=109) your problem. A lot of people see 700w or some other big number and forget that a power supply, unlike everything else, is an objectively measurable and definable object. Whether a power supply is good or not is just like whether an antibiotic is good or not. Either it IS or it is NOT, and that determination is made by objective physical measurements. A power supply's quality is like an object's density, it is not subject to opinion but rather is a matter of empirical fact.

In this case, since that was the only 700w xion I could find I'm assuming it's the right one, the facts are not pleasant:

You could smell warm electronics all over the basement by the time I finished the hot box testing, but to my amazement it lived...

We have theoretical capacities of 60A for 12V, 80A for 5V, and 30A for 3.3V. That's absurd... I mean, we were only 10A away from disaster on the 12V. Considering the temperature tolerances involved with these parts, it's actually amazing it didn't die on me. But, it did survive, and so I must go on to page four and score appropriately.

Between power and heat issues I'd say that sets up your artifacting.

Dirk
7 Sep 2010, 07:17pm
yeah. you dont need a "bigger" psu you need a better one. invest in something that can supply adequate current and remain... not on fire.

Tweezy
8 Sep 2010, 03:57am
Should be sorted with something like this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Tip, before buying ANYTHING, always try and find some reviews.

It can handle your system with ease.

Tweezy
24 Sep 2010, 02:05pm
I'm going to mark this as fixed, it's been dead for a while now.