PDA

View Full Version : Gero's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

kabLe
1 Sep 2010, 01:37pm
Tech Support Help Ticket
What general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
McAfee Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Me What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
2701HG-B Gateway Please state your problem here
Basically, I have about 9 computers on my router. Even if I'm the only one on the computer at the time I get ping spikes up to like 800 for pretty much no reason. No back round scans going nobody else even home with their computers on and this happens. A lot of times there will be like 4 computers on at once and somebody decides to download something and I lag again. Idk how much bandwidth I have but I'm hoping theres a way to make my 150 kbps download speed faster or at least make it so my game takes priority since I'm the only one in the house doing anything extreme.

Shadowex3
1 Sep 2010, 03:39pm
Sounds like too much running on one router and maybe some bad cabling. Wireless or wired?

kabLe
1 Sep 2010, 03:44pm
I'm wireless. Theres like 9 computers recognized on my router. If I could delete like 6-7 of them would that make a difference? I want to move the router up into my room but theres just no where that I could put it because I don't have a phone jack in my room.

Bilbo Baggins
1 Sep 2010, 03:57pm
Are all of the computers using windows?

Because from my understanding your basic windows network starts to go a little wonky when you hit about ten computers, which is then compounded by the fact you're (probably) using a consumer grade router/switch.

But yeah removing some of the computers from the network should improve performance.

kabLe
1 Sep 2010, 04:00pm
Theres stuff like Wii connected iPods, then like 5 computers. Its irritating but idk how to removed it.

EDIT: My router is like a router/modem that was included when we purchases AT&T internet. Its a 2wire GateWay I believe.

kabLe
3 Sep 2010, 12:40pm
:bump:

Shadowex3
3 Sep 2010, 03:00pm
Well there's your problem. Really bad hardware AND you're using wireless which is legendary for causing these kinds of latency issues. 800ms is actually relatively normal "bad wifi" lag. It's almost a single second, which doesn't seem like much to us in meatspace but in cyberspace it's a LOT.

Get a real router (linksys wirelessN+wired UFO dudes made by cisco are good) and plug in your gaming computer. You can get LONG damn cords from monoprice for cheap.

kabLe
3 Sep 2010, 03:08pm
Well, if I get like a Linksys router aren't i still connecting wirelessly to my modem?

Bilbo Baggins
3 Sep 2010, 09:17pm
Well, if I get like a Linksys router aren't i still connecting wirelessly to my modem?

No, what they are suggesting you do is buy a new router which you wire to your room with a nice and long ethernet cable (they can be 300 some odd feet long), to eliminate wireless from the gaming equation.

Shadowex3
4 Sep 2010, 02:04am
and then leave all the nongaming shite that doesnt care about a half second delay in packets on wireless.

Tweezy
4 Sep 2010, 06:29am
I've already spotted your problem;

2701HG-B

Your gaming on B-Type wireless... Fucking hell I'm amazed you can even connect to servers!!

This is what you need to do, to be able to game on a wireless connection you need the newer "N" Type routers, when they first came out you were lucky to get one under £100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168050&cm_re=Router_N-_-33-168-050-_-Product

I use this USB adaptor to connect to my router, never had a problem with it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127244

These are just examples, look around for N-Type routers, and adaptors, if your lucky you might be able to find a bundle (Router+Adaptor)

Edit:

Or you could just buy a REALLY long Ethernet cable... My brother uses a 2m one atm... But hey, who wants wires all over the floor?

kabLe
4 Sep 2010, 07:14am

2701HG-B

Your gaming on B-Type wireless... Fucking hell I'm amazed you can even connect to servers!!

This is what you need to do, to be able to game on a wireless connection you need the newer "N" Type routers, when they first came out you were lucky to get one under £100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168050&cm_re=Router_N-_-33-168-050-_-Product

I use this USB adaptor to connect to my router, never had a problem with it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127244

These are just examples, look around for N-Type routers, and adaptors, if your lucky you might be able to find a bundle (Router+Adaptor)

Edit:

Or you could just buy a REALLY long Ethernet cable... My brother uses a 2m one atm... But hey, who wants wires all over the floor?

Yea my router is downstairs. Normally, I get like 70 ping, but theres often times when it just spikes for 20 minutes-1 hour. I was kinda hoping it was my D-Link cause those are easy to replace. But AT&T gave us a modem combined with a router. Since thats the case I'm not sure if I can really buy another router.

Tweezy
4 Sep 2010, 07:23am
Yea my router is downstairs. Normally, I get like 70 ping, but theres often times when it just spikes for 20 minutes-1 hour. I was kinda hoping it was my D-Link cause those are easy to replace. But AT&T gave us a modem combined with a router. Since thats the case I'm not sure if I can really buy another router.

There simple to set up, if you have to just ring up your ISP to confirm that you can use your own router, or see if they can send you a better one.

A lot of ISP's hand out N Type routers nowadays...

kabLe
4 Sep 2010, 07:46am
I've got AT&T's basic internet which is supposed to be decent. At my dad's house on his router its only me and him. At my mom's house we have Wii connected, 2 ipods, and like 4-5 computers. Could you tell me how to delete those off my router? So that could help a little bit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that at my dads hosue hes got a 600 kbps- 1mb download speed.

Tweezy
4 Sep 2010, 09:43am
I've got AT&T's basic internet which is supposed to be decent. At my dad's house on his router its only me and him. At my mom's house we have Wii connected, 2 ipods, and like 4-5 computers. Could you tell me how to delete those off my router? So that could help a little bit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that at my dads hosue hes got a 600 kbps- 1mb download speed.

you can't "delete connections" you could always disable the internet on the other computers, but I don't see how that would work...

I would seriously think about upgrading your router...

Also, at your dads house, he most prob uses a different router...

Bilbo Baggins
4 Sep 2010, 11:04am

2701HG-B

?

uhhh bro? That is a wireless G setup right there (http://www.amazon.com/2701HG-B-2Wire-Wireless-Gateway-Router/dp/B001W9ASMS)

But Tweezy is right you really do need to upgrade to wireless N for that many devices. There really shouldn't be any problem using your own router. My old ISP sent me one of those combo shitboxes which I replaced less than a week later. To set it up all I had to do was plug my new router into one of the switch ports on the modem and disable the wifi on the modem. Hell I even got to use a straight through cable! (Auto Crossover FTW!)

Tweezy
4 Sep 2010, 11:18am
uhhh bro? That is a wireless G setup right there (http://www.amazon.com/2701HG-B-2Wire-Wireless-Gateway-Router/dp/B001W9ASMS)

But Tweezy is right you really do need to upgrade to wireless N for that many devices. There really shouldn't be any problem using your own router. My old ISP sent me one of those combo shitboxes which I replaced less than a week later. To set it up all I had to do was plug my new router into one of the switch ports on the modem and disable the wifi on the modem. Hell I even got to use a straight through cable! (Auto Crossover FTW!)

Oh yh my bad, I didn't see the G...

But yh, I remember when I tried to game on a wireless G connection... It just wouldn't work ;L Every 10 minutes I would get your problem.

Bilbo Baggins
4 Sep 2010, 12:32pm
You know what I just realized, none of us have given him the simple goto thing to do when the internet acts up. Reset everything and hope for the best. Sometimes that all routers and modems need to fix the problem.

Shadowex3
4 Sep 2010, 03:24pm
Sweet shite wireless B and G for gaming? Yeah that's a problem too. That's... barely better than dialup ffs. We need to mod the form a bit to include this info...

kabLe
4 Sep 2010, 08:27pm
Well hopefully I'll be able to buy something soon. I'm probably going to be calling AT&T and see what they can do for me.