PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft vs Company of Heros

Im a Jackass
19 Aug 2010, 11:37am
Both games are really good if you ask me but what do you think is better and im talking about the 1st starcraft not the 2end one

Lux
19 Aug 2010, 11:44am
Age of Empires 2 :thumb:

Im a Jackass
19 Aug 2010, 11:50am
Have not played that there a demo for it?

Lux
19 Aug 2010, 11:56am
Have not played that there a demo for it?

Sure.

It's nearing 10 years old now though.

Blueline
19 Aug 2010, 12:26pm
Age of Empires 2 :thumb:

Korea disagrees.

Zealot
19 Aug 2010, 12:37pm
SC became a national sport sooooooooo...

Lux
19 Aug 2010, 01:06pm
Korea disagrees.

My 0 care for Korea agrees :thumb:

SilentGuns
19 Aug 2010, 02:40pm
Starcraft pretty much rapes every other RTS , then goes in for seconds. It is by far the best and most perfect RTS game in existance.

Dracula
19 Aug 2010, 02:50pm
Starcraft, COH blows giant cock compaired to it.

PotshotPolka
19 Aug 2010, 04:26pm
As far as entertainment goes COH, as far as fair and balanced gameplay goes for RTS competition, SC.

Hiphopopotomus
19 Aug 2010, 06:35pm
They are not comparable games, They completely different

Dracula
19 Aug 2010, 06:35pm
They are not comparable games, They completely different

How arnt they?

PotshotPolka
20 Aug 2010, 03:45pm
How arnt they?

Because I can rotate my AT guns perfectly to cover directions, rotate armor for maximum defense, hide units behind cover, and use tactics beyond simple micro movements to position troops for maximum effectiveness, SC is a generic RTS, and I say that because it has been the paradigm for all RTS games for over a decade. Sure the concepts of maximizing resources while denying your enemy his economy then defeating him/base rushing etc. are all RTS elements, but they still play differently obviously, it's like saying CS:S and DOD:S are identical, they have obvious elements that differ, from skins and weapons to tactics and objectives.

Dracula
20 Aug 2010, 04:15pm
Because I can rotate my AT guns perfectly to cover directions, rotate armor for maximum defense, hide units behind cover, and use tactics beyond simple micro movements to position troops for maximum effectiveness, SC is a generic RTS, and I say that because it has been the paradigm for all RTS games for over a decade. Sure the concepts of maximizing resources while denying your enemy his economy then defeating him/base rushing etc. are all RTS elements, but they still play differently obviously, it's like saying CS:S and DOD:S are identical, they have obvious elements that differ, from skins and weapons to tactics and objectives.

Of course, every game has ways it differs, however it in no way makes them un-comparable games.

p.s. Those things you listed are simple unit micro.

Lux
20 Aug 2010, 06:20pm
Anything can be compared.

Neji
20 Aug 2010, 07:16pm
Warcraft 3 :thumb:

Im a Jackass
21 Aug 2010, 10:48am
Anything can be compared.

he is right

PotshotPolka
21 Aug 2010, 11:08am
Of course, every game has ways it differs, however it in no way makes them un-comparable games.

p.s. Those things you listed are simple unit micro.

Advanced micro :mad:

Dracula
21 Aug 2010, 11:31am
Advanced micro :mad:

Not really, it takes less to micro in COH than say SC2/1

Italian Jew
21 Aug 2010, 11:53am
Not really, it takes less to micro in COH than say SC2/1

The complexities of the tactics in COH vs. keeping track of the hundreds of units you spawned in SC.

Starcraft has much more simpler gameplay than Company of Heroes.

Dracula
21 Aug 2010, 12:11pm
The complexities of the tactics in COH vs. keeping track of the hundreds of units you spawned in SC.

Starcraft has much more simpler gameplay than Company of Heroes.

No way.

Lordcrazy
30 Aug 2010, 09:07pm
COH since I haven't played Starcraft (believe it or not). I just also really like COH, anyways both games are really good in my opinion.

Im a Jackass
30 Aug 2010, 09:14pm
I just played starcraft and all you do is get alot of people and rush it seems

Chêvouÿx
31 Aug 2010, 05:32pm
My stance on this is pretty simple. If you're a casual gamer—or, at least, a casual RTS-gamer—then CoH is better. If you're a hardcore (RTS-)gamer, then Starcraft is better.

I'm casual and I myself am not personally too interested in Starcraft (personal preference), so I like CoH more.

Hyperviolence
5 Sep 2010, 05:15pm
Starcraft pretty much rapes every other RTS , then goes in for seconds. It is by far the best and most perfect RTS game in existance.

Completely and totally agree. I've been playing Starcraft for at least ten years now, and for a reason. There is nothing more satisfying than raping nubs who try to carrier-rush you.

Matt
5 Sep 2010, 06:25pm
STARCRAFT 2 FTW

Astrum
8 Sep 2010, 09:52am
They compare if you take the most generic genre of both games, being in the RTS genre, and run with that. However, they are in completely different sub-genres. Dawn of War II is also an RTS, would you care to make any meaningful comparison between that and StarCraft?

Company of Heroes is more of a rock-paper-scissors type RTS. Not only are some units less effective against other units, some aren't effective at all against other units. One thousand rifleman squads will never take down a tank with M1 Garands. Mobile AT guns can take out tanks fairly easily though. Then again snipers can take out AT guns. But motorcycles/jeeps can spot and take out snipers. In the StarCraft world the only rock-paper-scissor type scenario is whether it can attack ground and/or air units. Otherwise if you have enough of some unit, you can take out whatever other unit you're going up against. Company of Heroes is also an environmental cover based RTS. If you're in the swamps, you're going to lose in a firefight; if you're behind sandbags going up against rushing opponents of equal strength, you'll probably win. StarCraft's equivalent to this is you get better line of site with high ground and that's about it.

StarCraft is based more on the Command and Conquer (1, 2, 3, RA 1, RA 2) way of doing things as can be seen by the WarCraft (1, 2) games that proceeded it. StarCraft's RTS style is overcoming your enemy through numbers. I'm not saying there isn't any skill or strategy involved mind you.

So you can try to compare them all you want, they're pretty damn different. It's not like the difference between Unreal and Quake, but the difference between Unreal/Quake and something like Tribes. Yeah you shoot people and capture the flag and I suppose you have a walk and jump button, but that's where the similarities end. I've played way more StarCraft (about 8x as much) as I have Company of Heroes. I love both games for what they are. If you want to put StarCraft II into this then that's an entirely different topic since the sequel is pretty bland and boring.

WaffleCopter
12 Sep 2010, 10:14am
f-ing love CoH!!

Tha Mask
13 Sep 2010, 05:48am
Company of Heroes is nice but I didn't played too much Starcraft 1 even if my friend passed me his key code (He had 2).