PDA

View Full Version : Angry old farts thread

Captain Colon
30 Mar 2008, 02:35am
Does it annoy you when you're talking to someone and they seem to have no concept of music before it existed 5-10 years ago? I like pretty much everything so I'm not even talking about the nu-metal/BRUTALDEATHOMGZKORE trend that seems to be in now...Stuff like someone who goes "yeah I'm totally metal" and has no idea who Anthrax or Venom are, or claims to be totally oldsk00l but draws blanks when you mention Sugarhill Gang and Run DMC. Even bands like Led Zeppelin and The Who (neither of whom I even like that much) are in jeopardy it seems.

Just as an example, I managed to find this gem on youtube on Madonna's latest video (I have real life friends that are real life girls, sue me):

OMG

This is amazing! Move over 'Stairway to Heaven' this is the greatest song of all time now! AWESOME TO THE MAX!
I mean Madonna's what, like 50 now and I'd still do her? But I'm pretty sure "greatest song of all time" is pushing it for anything she's made in the past 15 years.

It makes me feel really old that almost all the groups I listen to are either 20 years old or paying homage to those groups.

Also the beatles are a MEDIOCRE band at best. Fuck you Beatles fans!

Slavic
30 Mar 2008, 10:15am
Does it annoy you when you're talking to someone and they seem to have no concept of music before it existed 5-10 years ago? I like pretty much everything so I'm not even talking about the nu-metal/BRUTALDEATHOMGZKORE trend that seems to be in now...Stuff like someone who goes "yeah I'm totally metal" and has no idea who Anthrax or Venom are, or claims to be totally oldsk00l but draws blanks when you mention Sugarhill Gang and Run DMC. Even bands like Led Zeppelin and The Who (neither of whom I even like that much) are in jeopardy it seems.

Just as an example, I managed to find this gem on youtube on Madonna's latest video (I have real life friends that are real life girls, sue me):

I mean Madonna's what, like 50 now and I'd still do her? But I'm pretty sure "greatest song of all time" is pushing it for anything she's made in the past 15 years.

It makes me feel really old that almost all the groups I listen to are either 20 years old or paying homage to those groups.

Also the beatles are a MEDIOCRE band at best. Fuck you Beatles fans!

First off, fuck you beatles. lolz I don't like the beatles but that doesn't mean I don't think they are a big major musical influence.

Madonna is a sexy whore, and I don't just mean in the sexy sense, she has made albums for just about every genre out there. Usually when such genres are making the most money.

I also agree with the lack of acknowledgment of past artists. You also have to remember, this is 2008, 1960,70 was a long time ago, hell even 1980 was a long time ago. These kids are fresh from the womb, of course they are only going to have little understanding of the artists that defined the genre's they listen to now.

Me myself, and I, tend to only listen to music from the late 80's and 90's.

Captain Colon
30 Mar 2008, 11:20am
First off, fuck you beatles. lolz I don't like the beatles but that doesn't mean I don't think they are a big major musical influence.
You can look back at the era and find a ton of bands that sounded exactly like them...they just happened to be the ones that made it. They get way too much acclaim for what was essentially a pretty-boy pop band.

EvInReaLife
30 Mar 2008, 11:28am
Even bands like Led Zeppelin and The Who (neither of whom I even like that much) are in jeopardy it seems. Fuck you Beatles fans!

:ohmy:

Captain Colon
30 Mar 2008, 11:45am
Yes, that would sum up my thoughts on most 60s/70s-era "greats" :thumbup: