PDA

View Full Version : Calling all HOI fags Mk.II

PotshotPolka
9 Aug 2010, 03:18pm
The time has come to rise again. We've failed to get a good following but we'll do it right this time. If you are going to play post in here. Everyone else, GTFO back to your battle.net. SC2 fags can't macro.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF HOI 3 SEMPER FI INSTALLED. IF YOU HAVE A TORRENTED VERSION MAKE SURE TO UPDATE MANUALLY.

REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION: Available on either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights (atleast one of the three weekly) from 6PM EST-10PM EST. Other schedules can be arranged if all players are willing to attend during weekdays or at earlier times but this is mandatory. Suggested start date for game 8/13-8/15.

Slots available for play:
USA
UK
France
Germany
Italy
Japan
Soviet Union

No calling slots, teams will be decided once players show up.

Game rules:

Axis must be the first to declare war.
Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact must be accepted but may be voided by either party in 1941.
Unaligned countries can align to whomever they like.
Do NOT spam guarantees to other countries, it can screw up gameplay.
Since the game can be saved by anyone, you can play as the opposing sides' countries, and can thus cheat by spying on their troop movements, technology, and production. If you are reported by anyone to be doing this you will be banned from further games, no questions.

Dracula
9 Aug 2010, 03:44pm
Japan here.

p.s. Im available on Fri, Sat, and Sunday. (Could be sports dependant for games ect.)

PotshotPolka
9 Aug 2010, 03:48pm
KAZAKHSTAN REPORTING IN.

Jaffa
9 Aug 2010, 05:56pm
I can play on friday (at the moment)

PotshotPolka
9 Aug 2010, 06:16pm
(at the moment)

Tell your stripper friends at the club to fuck off or get a PDA and learn to schedule. :mad:

Lux
9 Aug 2010, 06:19pm
I was about to bring this up actually.

I'm not available this Saturday full stop. This is quite a regular thing...most Saturdays I'm out drinking.....and maybe on other nights too.

Friday night is most likely fine for me....and Sunday....50/50.

I prefer weekdays tbh.

PotshotPolka
9 Aug 2010, 06:22pm
I was about to bring this up actually.

I'm not available this Saturday full stop. This is quite a regular thing...most Saturdays I'm out drinking.....and maybe on other nights too.

Friday night is most likely fine for me....and Sunday....50/50.

I prefer weekdays tbh.

Well 2/3 of our players are students and from different time zones, so I'm not going to make that demand. But like I said, if we can agree on times to pick up on during the week, that's perfectly fine too.

SgtJoo
9 Aug 2010, 06:51pm
If I can 'acquire' the game and play it a bit when I'm supposed to be studying, I'll learn the game and join y'all.

Lux
9 Aug 2010, 07:24pm
If I can 'acquire' the game and play it a bit when I'm supposed to be studying, I'll learn the game and join y'all.

Do it, but France own Israel so gg.

PotshotPolka
9 Aug 2010, 07:44pm

Hurry up if you plan to, its best to play starting in 1936 so you can plan out your military's strategy.

Jaffa
10 Aug 2010, 08:29am
If you want to torrent it, i guess drac oir lux might have a link?

otherwise, can purchase semper off of gamergate or steam (must also have hoi3 as well obv.)

PotshotPolka
12 Aug 2010, 05:40pm
Bumping.

Tomorrow starting at 5pm EST (10 GMT) acceptable?

Jaffa
12 Aug 2010, 06:56pm
Good for me, I call not Russia though

Lux
13 Aug 2010, 02:29pm
.........So where is everyone.

Dracula
13 Aug 2010, 02:30pm
.........So where is everyone.

Seeing as its 4:30 probably doing other things.

Lux
13 Aug 2010, 05:45pm
Next time we call a game can we at least make sure everyone can play? :thumb:

PotshotPolka
14 Aug 2010, 02:22pm
Next time we call a game can we at least make sure everyone can play? :thumb:

Yeah, it's mine and three other people's faults we paid for the game on steam and that you and Drac (two people) torrented the retail version of Semper Fi and got a different checksum.

Lux
14 Aug 2010, 02:43pm
Yeah, it's mine and three other people's faults we paid for the game on steam and that you and Drac (two people) torrented the retail version of Semper Fi and got a different checksum.

Actually Havok could join our game.

But yeah it's probably your fault as even people who bought Semper Fi retail but not from Steam would probably have the right checksum.

PotshotPolka
14 Aug 2010, 03:37pm
Actually Havok could join our game.

But yeah it's probably your fault as even people who bought Semper Fi retail but not from Steam would probably have the right checksum.

Or maybe it's Paradox's fault for releasing a broken ass version?

Lux
14 Aug 2010, 08:15pm
Or maybe it's Paradox's fault for releasing a broken ass version?

Which is your fault clearly.

PotshotPolka
4 Sep 2010, 02:54pm
bump, patch has been updated and checksum is RNGL for steam versions, does this match retail?

Dracula
4 Sep 2010, 04:01pm
bump, patch has been updated and checksum is RNGL for steam versions, does this match retail?

Was it a Steam only patch?

Lux
4 Sep 2010, 04:36pm

Ya.

Was it a Steam only patch?

Steam only bug and anyone who got it through Steam is at fault.

Potshot :thumb:

------------------

Anyway let's try and set a date..........can't be tomorrow.

PotshotPolka
4 Sep 2010, 06:15pm
Ya.

Steam only bug and anyone who got it through Steam is at fault.

Potshot :thumb:

------------------

Anyway let's try and set a date..........can't be tomorrow.

Monday? It's labor day here for US/CAN, we could play early.

Lux
4 Sep 2010, 06:46pm
Monday? It's labor day here for US/CAN, we could play early.

Maybe......I'm going to two different birthday parties tomorrow night so depends on what you mean by early. Your early i.e. 12pm EST = maybe.

PotshotPolka
4 Sep 2010, 06:51pm
Maybe......I'm going to two different birthday parties tomorrow night so depends on what you mean by early. Your early i.e. 12pm EST = maybe.

Yeah, starting 12-2 EST sounds good, anyone else going to chime in?

Jaffa
4 Sep 2010, 07:35pm
I don't usually get home monday nights till 10pm GMT

Lux
4 Sep 2010, 08:41pm
I don't usually get home monday nights till 10pm GMT

Meh...if we did it then the something bad would probably happen anyway knowing HOI....

PotshotPolka
5 Sep 2010, 01:17pm
So how about 5pm EST like we've usually done, then everyone can attend for a few hours?

Lux
5 Sep 2010, 08:01pm
So how about 5pm EST like we've usually done, then everyone can attend for a few hours?

Dam straight....

Jaffa
6 Sep 2010, 01:48pm
I'm actually back early (combination of rain and tube strikes), so pm on steam if hoi3 is going ahead

Lux
6 Sep 2010, 02:03pm
1 hour we try and get a game :thumb:

Lux
6 Sep 2010, 06:50pm
So yeah.......we all got time to set our shit up......I dunno if Drac did get to save it or not but either way......when's the next time we could play?

I'm open to most days....but can't guarantee any day...especially Saturday/Sunday.

Also Havok even if we don't start a new game there's still time for you to come in as Italy....got a good 2 years to sort yourself out.

Jaffa
6 Sep 2010, 07:01pm
I should be fine tuesday, wednesday, possibly thursday (depends what time i get home, probs 11pm), friday (depends on friend), sunday (depends on my work situation)

PotshotPolka
6 Sep 2010, 07:22pm
Busy till Thursday evening here.

PotshotPolka
7 Sep 2010, 03:41pm
Friday 5pm EST?

Да или нет?

Jaffa
7 Sep 2010, 05:03pm
Friday might be fine for me, will have an early start next day due to paintball, but i'll be tired no matter what time I sleep. Only issue is whether I have a friend crashing with me that night or not, i'll try and find out tomorrow

Lux
7 Sep 2010, 06:22pm
Should be fine.......emphasis on the should.

Friday might be fine for me, will have an early start next day due to paintball, but i'll be tired no matter what time I sleep. Only issue is whether I have a friend crashing with me that night or not, i'll try and find out tomorrow

Your friend can be Himmler or something :thumb:

Jaffa
9 Sep 2010, 09:05am
My friend is stayng at his sister's, so i can play frioday

PotshotPolka
12 Sep 2010, 04:39pm
So monday, 5:30 EST okay? (I have class till 5:15, just remembered)

Jaffa
12 Sep 2010, 05:07pm
is that 10.30 gmt?

Lux
13 Sep 2010, 02:56pm
So.............................?

Jaffa
19 Sep 2010, 06:51am
so when on for tonight?

Lux
19 Sep 2010, 02:24pm
I'm game....

PotshotPolka
19 Sep 2010, 05:36pm
First, Drac said no, second, no one PMed me times like I asked everyone to.

Lux
19 Sep 2010, 06:48pm
First, Drac said no, second, no one PMed me times like I asked everyone to.

From what I recall Drac said no to midweek and said he preferred Sunday.........

Also we all agreed Sunday was fine when we last played......PMing you is just surplus to requirement...

Jaffa
20 Sep 2010, 04:46am
I think I misunderstood as well, thought we were just waiting for lux to find out if he was busy sunday night or not...

I can do (atm) monday, tuesday, friday and sunday this week

PotshotPolka
24 Sep 2010, 10:16am
so is today a go or not at 5pm EST?

Jaffa
24 Sep 2010, 10:38am
I can play tonight

PotshotPolka
24 Sep 2010, 06:53pm
Times for next game?
I can do Saturday, Sunday this week, Tuesday-Sunday next week.

Lux
24 Sep 2010, 06:59pm
100000% not this weekend.

Jaffa
24 Sep 2010, 08:05pm
Can do tuesday, fri-sun atm (although fri-sat may change)

PotshotPolka
28 Sep 2010, 04:23pm
Since I'm guessing we cancelled for today, I can't until Friday.

Harpr33t
29 Sep 2010, 05:26am
LET ME IN THIS SHIT

Jaffa
29 Sep 2010, 07:05am
Friday is good for me atm

Lux
29 Sep 2010, 08:43am
LET ME IN THIS SHIT

UK owns India in it, no dice.

----------------------

I can do Friday

PotshotPolka
29 Sep 2010, 08:45am
UK owns India in it, no dice.

----------------------

I can do Friday

That's funny, I was pretty atm JAPAN owns India.

You could always be the US Harpreet.

Lux
29 Sep 2010, 09:37am
That's funny, I was pretty atm JAPAN owns India.

You could always be the US Harpreet.

Yeah in this game :rolleyes:

Harp as US when he hasn't played......AI would be preferable :mmph:

Jaffa
29 Sep 2010, 10:37am
He could be Italy, they don't help me anyway as it is. All they seem to do is try to take over Iraq, and send random single divisons to Spain

Dracula
29 Sep 2010, 01:32pm
Yeah in this game :rolleyes:

Harp as US when he hasn't played......AI would be preferable :mmph:

AI would have also been better for the UK, but we let you play it :)

Harpr33t
29 Sep 2010, 02:21pm
So can i join? i mean i dont mind being the US or India, i prefer India tho....

btw are you guys playing on the steam version or the pirated one?

Jaffa
29 Sep 2010, 03:27pm
Version doesn't matter. In HOI3 India is still a part of the UK, not a separate nation

Harpr33t
29 Sep 2010, 05:03pm
Version doesn't matter. In HOI3 India is still a part of the UK, not a separate nation

Well that settled that :(

So can some1 pm how to get it the free way?

Dracula
29 Sep 2010, 05:58pm
Well that settled that :(

So can some1 pm how to get it the free way?

The Pirate bay

Jaffa
29 Sep 2010, 06:07pm
You need Semper Fi too

Harpr33t
29 Sep 2010, 07:19pm
im confused, do i get hearts of iron 2 or 3?

Lux
29 Sep 2010, 08:27pm
im confused, do i get hearts of iron 2 or 3?

3. Then get Semper Fi too.

Also do the tutorials.

Jaffa
30 Sep 2010, 03:09am
Semper Fi is the expansion for HOI3

Jaffa
1 Oct 2010, 03:41am
So usual time tonight?

PotshotPolka
1 Oct 2010, 08:21am
Fine by me.

Lux
1 Oct 2010, 02:22pm
Ready when you are.

Jaffa
1 Oct 2010, 02:55pm
I'll be on vent in a sec, if you want to start uploading the file (assumng this is going ahead and drac is here)

Jaffa
3 Oct 2010, 12:21pm
So when cabn everyone play next?

I can do monday (10.30pm onwards), tuesday, maybe thursday, friday and the weekend

PotshotPolka
3 Oct 2010, 12:22pm
Thursday is the earliest for me, 5:30 EST or so.

Jaffa
3 Oct 2010, 02:46pm
I've got a family commitment on thursday, so can't def say i can do it just yet, not sure how late it will run

Lux
7 Oct 2010, 08:38am
Hmm....so tonight if Jaffa can make it?

The Famous Zombie Hunter
7 Oct 2010, 08:58am
Edit: Nvm. Figured it out

Jaffa
7 Oct 2010, 01:56pm
Just got home, had no internet access all day. I can play tonight (from 10.15ish)

Jaffa
8 Oct 2010, 09:04am
Play tonight, usual time?

Lux
8 Oct 2010, 09:18am
Sure

PotshotPolka
8 Oct 2010, 09:56am
yeah I'm in I guess.

Lux
8 Oct 2010, 06:15pm
Well......every game is a learning curve.

Dracula
8 Oct 2010, 07:23pm
Every game I continually fail at whatever I try to do.

Fixed

Jaffa
9 Oct 2010, 03:43am
I get carried by Jaffa

Fixed

Dracula
9 Oct 2010, 06:27am
Drac is Japan he interestingly cant do much in Europe.

Fixed.

PotshotPolka
9 Oct 2010, 10:00am
Dracula was too busy racing against the Italians for oil supplies in the motherfucking Middle East.

Fixed.

Dracula
9 Oct 2010, 10:16am
Dracula had no actual Japanese troops in the middle east I am wrong.

Fixed for those who dont know about troops my allys give me.

PotshotPolka
9 Oct 2010, 11:04am
Anyways, date for next round? I can do anytime from Tuesday onwards next week.

Jaffa
9 Oct 2010, 04:49pm
In serious note, is everyone ok with me loading up our previous save files for this done campaign? I can give feedback/info if you want?

PotshotPolka
9 Oct 2010, 05:45pm
In serious note, is everyone ok with me loading up our previous save files for this done campaign? I can give feedback/info if you want?

I conceded defeat, but that's between you, Drac, and Lux. I'd find it interesting to see if you guys could actually invade US/Canada/UK, but you no longer have to if you want to win, Axis controlled 70% of the victory points. If Lux says okay then go for it.

Jaffa
9 Oct 2010, 05:57pm
You should load up the game file and look at germany, I had thrown everything into trying to close the central pocket, the west front had one panzer army and one infantry army covering the whole of it! My manpower was down to the 200s as well i think

Lux
9 Oct 2010, 06:11pm
I know the war started early (yes I know), but I wasn't rushing into Europe because I thought I had years left....never really expected Soviets to fall so soon.

Are you asking to keep playing the last game or something? I think it's pointless because with Soviets gone I don't reckon I have much chance of getting back into Europe....and an invasion on me will just take long.

PotshotPolka
9 Oct 2010, 06:20pm
You should load up the game file and look at germany, I had thrown everything into trying to close the central pocket, the west front had one panzer army and one infantry army covering the whole of it! My manpower was down to the 200s as well i think

Yes I saw, and I regret giving over control to the AI. If I had been willing to micro every battle down the line I might have stalled you long enough to build more tank divisions (was scheduled to have about 20 more by the next year), but it seemed fruitless at that point since the rest of Japanese armies would come rolling in from Siberia. Had it been you and me, with the Japanese occupied elsewhere with the Americans or Brits like they were historically things may have gone down differently.

Jaffa
9 Oct 2010, 06:33pm
lack of manpower pretty much from the start really limited me (i didn't build any more significant formations from the start of the war till the start of the fight with ussr), I think I would of been a lot stonger given a few more years to build up, although the same can be said for the other nations.

@lux I meant by loading the games up, to have a look at how the other nations were set up, and give pointers if someone is doing crazy/wasteful/silly things

Lux
9 Oct 2010, 09:23pm
@lux I meant by loading the games up, to have a look at how the other nations were set up, and give pointers if someone is doing crazy/wasteful/silly things

Ok.

Not really bothered about my role as USA, other than the rushed start of invasion of Europe which was only brought on by Potshot driving me crazy (which taking everything into consideration was probably deserved....) I'd taken Morocco and well IMO that's the best way I could start an attack on Axis Europe. Sure..it was way too late by then but then again it was only 1940 and USA should't be doing anything at that time. Yes..considering what you and Drac had done I didn't really achieve anything but it was always going against me as the UK due to "that event".

On self reflection....my main errors were that I've been looking at this game wrongly...because the supply system is a real pain and dictates the game, and my usual tactics just don't factor them in it...That aside....... complacency (mainly walking out of Gibraltar and then forgetting about the units and letting Spain walk into an empty fortress leaving 100k troops stranded, lack of preparation, lack of foresight, lack of almost all naval knowledge except "lol patrol" and transporting, wasting too much leadership on diplomacy....mm that's all I can think of.

Most of these things just aren't covered in the tutorial.....I can't blame just not knowing it in the first place entirely as there was some complacency but overall with every game I get better used to the game. That said...I still don't have much clue with the navy, and how units at a port have no supplies, yet enemy units in the desert with no nearby port or city have tons of supplies.

I went to Brazil with cavalry, took ports and still had no supplies. I would've thought that in reality USA might think "Hey he can't get supplies to Brazil so let's stop the troops we leant to UK dying by sending one of the many ships sailing around America to Brazil to give them supplies.......but nope. I'm guessing I couldn't get supplies because practically all my convoys were destroyed or something like that (I have no clue how to stop it happening and have no understanding of it so I usually just press "ok" on any navy battles whatever the losses).....but then I randomly get supplies and lose them the next day so it's a little inconsistent......I think ideally Paradox could at least explain with some ingame tool what is happening other than some random red/green arrows.

If you've got any suggestions....go ahead. (not Dracula)

Dracula
9 Oct 2010, 09:37pm
Ok.

Not really bothered about my role as USA, other than the rushed start of invasion of Europe which was only brought on by Potshot driving me crazy (which taking everything into consideration was probably deserved....) I'd taken Morocco and well IMO that's the best way I could start an attack on Axis Europe. Sure..it was way too late by then but then again it was only 1940 and USA should't be doing anything at that time. Yes..considering what you and Drac had done I didn't really achieve anything but it was always going against me as the UK due to "that event".

On self reflection....my main errors were that I've been looking at this game wrongly...because the supply system is a real pain and dictates the game, and my usual tactics just don't factor them in it...That aside....... complacency (mainly walking out of Gibraltar and then forgetting about the units and letting Spain walk into an empty fortress leaving 100k troops stranded, lack of preparation, lack of foresight, lack of almost all naval knowledge except "lol patrol" and transporting, wasting too much leadership on diplomacy....mm that's all I can think of.

Most of these things just aren't covered in the tutorial.....I can't blame just not knowing it in the first place entirely as there was some complacency but overall with every game I get better used to the game. That said...I still don't have much clue with the navy, and how units at a port have no supplies, yet enemy units in the desert with no nearby port or city have tons of supplies.

I went to Brazil with cavalry, took ports and still had no supplies. I would've thought that in reality USA might think "Hey he can't get supplies to Brazil so let's stop the troops we leant to UK dying by sending one of the many ships sailing around America to Brazil to give them supplies.......but nope. I'm guessing I couldn't get supplies because practically all my convoys were destroyed or something like that (I have no clue how to stop it happening and have no understanding of it so I usually just press "ok" on any navy battles whatever the losses).....but then I randomly get supplies and lose them the next day so it's a little inconsistent......I think ideally Paradox could at least explain with some ingame tool what is happening other than some random red/green arrows.

If you've got any suggestions....go ahead. (not Dracula)

Do the tutorials they do explain many of these things.

Also as England its pointless to play if you dont use your navy. And build convoys rofl.

Lux
9 Oct 2010, 09:41pm
Do the tutorials they do explain many of these things.

Sigh I'll go back and read it again, maybe me being so ignorant to the whole genre when reading it the first time made it hard to take in....

Also as England its pointless to play if you dont use your navy. And build convoys rofl.

I do use the navy, I just use it poorly lol. I try and build convoys but it's just a bit sad to see them take quite long to get built and then get destroyed as soon as they're deployed.

There should be a way for you to schedule supplies via boats to a certain location.....or does that already exist.....

Dracula
9 Oct 2010, 09:44pm
Sigh I'll go back and read it again, maybe me being so ignorant to the whole genre when reading it the first time made it hard to take in....

I do use the navy, I just use it poorly lol. I try and build convoys but it's just a bit sad to see them take quite long to get built and then get destroyed as soon as they're deployed.

There should be a way for you to schedule supplies via boats to a certain location.....or does that already exist.....

It exists if its what im thinking about, and the key to keeping them alive is to protect them.

Jaffa
10 Oct 2010, 03:37am
Early in the game its really hard to kill off subs, as there is a big tech gap, until you start to develop small ship radars to a decent level. Best bet is to build tons of convoy ships before the war starts, so even if you lose some, you have enough to keep going. Supply-wise, also remember we were playing at a slow speed, so in real-time it might seem no supplies are getting through, whereas in game time they are (it just takes a while). Use small stacks of DD/CL to hunt subs.

For navies, its best to have two types of composition. Pair destroyers with battleships, and light cruisers, battlecruisers and carriers. This makes the most out of theory techs (BB and DD share techs, as do CL, CV and BC). Try not to create stacks larger than 15, or you get big stacking penalties (also, make sure these stacks are commanded by 4 star admirals, to reduce stacking penalty even more). I tend to go for 3-4 BB with the rest DD, and 3 CV, and either 2-3BC with rest CL, or just all CL. You can use heavy cruisers to cover any gaps in BB or CVs, the issue with CA is that they count as capital ships, not screens, so screw around with the stacking penalty. I mainly used them as Germany to raid convoys, as they are strong enough to defeat small stacks of escorts, which might be hunting subs, and they get bonus' to convoy killing from techs.