PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi's Cooling Issues

Kiwi
5 Aug 2010, 08:14am
Tech Support Help Ticket
What general section does your problem fall under
Cooling Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
No What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
- Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Dell What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
Latitude D620 Please state your problem here
I successfully replaced the existing fan from the laptop. As it was not working. However, upon testing the new fan, it still does not work. I am beginning to believe that the problem lies between the fan port and not the fan. It uses a 3pin connector, but I however, am not sure what to do about this. Is the best and cheapest solution to purchase a laptop cooler?

Are there any solutions to getting the fan to work? If so, what are they? I have not fully assembled the device again, so I am not sure if that would lead to this problem.

Once the laptop has posted again, I will report back.

Spiffy
5 Aug 2010, 09:17am
How did you test it? Some fans in laptops don't turn on until a certain point.

Kiwi
5 Aug 2010, 09:23am
How did you test it? Some fans in laptops don't turn on until a certain point.

Hooked up the keyboard and pressed the power button (this was when it was just the bare mobo). I haven't been able to test it after post since after a hardware change this laptop takes 20min+ to post =\

Spiffy
5 Aug 2010, 09:29am
It takes 20+ minutes to post and the fan is your concern?

Kiwi
5 Aug 2010, 09:32am
It takes 20+ minutes to post and the fan is your concern?

This was only after a hardware change so I didn't take much notice. It'll work fine after it posts and I reboot.

edit: (About Post) I googled this issue and found a problem similar to mine. It pointed to something wrong with the video chip =\

edit edit: (About Post) Did a quick test "reflow"

It worked (not the fan, post). So I'll do another "reflow"

Edit edit edit: Posts now, fan not running during windows installation.

edit edit edit edit: Fan still not running after an hour of use... But the heatsink is amazing. I only get 40c >.>

edit edit edit edit edit: I guess the fan controller automatically activates the fan when it feels that it gets too hot.

Thanks though Spiffy, I wouldn't have dived any deeper into the BGA problem had you not said anything =)

SkyLineRxx
26 Aug 2010, 11:14pm
Hey, have you ever try putting something at the bottom of the laptop to hold it up?

It cools better off that way then putting it on a flat surface.

Wrathek
27 Aug 2010, 06:01am
thanks for the bump, faggot.

Shadowex3
27 Aug 2010, 02:08pm
Skyline are you illiterate or something? The forum name says "FIXED/RESOLVED" in great bigass letters right on it that you had to click to get in here. Also don't abuse the Report Post function because someone called you out on doing something really dumb. You've got to be deliberately ignoring the forum name to click to get here and post.