PDA

View Full Version : SC2 Tournament (First of many hopefully)

Bullet Wound
4 Aug 2010, 12:56pm
Alright so about 11-12 people have sc2 here so I was thinking maybe we could get a little tournament going. Due to the large gaps in skill level we have here I was thinking 2v2s would probably be the best bet. Just wondering if there are enough people here interested to get this going.

(We can have 2v2 teams picked at random to be fair if needed)

This is the list of players and their info to be added (if you also have SC2)
Ganzta - Dan 477
powernos - bored 579
jasper - Jasper 496
matthew123 - Matt 715
bulletwound - BulletWound 366
archy - Archy 815
sexy fish - SmexyFish 863
zealot -Zealot 985
Kscorp- Kscorp 297
Spiritwind - Spiritwind 255
potshot - PotshotPolka 334

Team 1
Spjerre
Spiritwind

Team 2
Hiphopopotomus
Jasper

Team 3
Zealot
matthew123

Team 4
Game Freak
Ganzta

Team 5
Labarr15
Bill Smauz

Team 6
Bullet Wound
Desum

Team 7
b0red
Sexy Fish

Team 8
Morningafter
Ngo

Team 9
Dante
Cait Sithz

Tournament info : http://challonge.com/sgsc2tourny

Spiritwind
4 Aug 2010, 01:15pm
Would be awesome, just hope I'm available at the same time as others ^^.

ScubaToaster
4 Aug 2010, 02:02pm
It would be awesome! I need to get my copy sometime.

b0red
4 Aug 2010, 02:10pm
Fuck yeah sign me up 1v1 and 2v2 would be great.

Cait Sithz
4 Aug 2010, 02:30pm
Id be interested aslong as its before september

Bullet Wound
4 Aug 2010, 02:33pm
Id be interested aslong as its before september

Oh yea, its gonna happen during this week or next week. As soon as we have enough people.

Sexy Fish
4 Aug 2010, 02:58pm
I'm interested in getting rolled in 1v1.

Zealot
4 Aug 2010, 09:41pm
So no BW/Z team? gay. I'm in though.

b0red
4 Aug 2010, 10:16pm

we can always partner up ;)

seriously i need someone to carry me and help me

Bullet Wound
5 Aug 2010, 12:55am

Lol, be no fun to roll everyone.

Also vote so i can get a number.

Jasper
5 Aug 2010, 02:31am
I'd be down for sure. Either one is fine really.

I'm not as good as Mr. Bullet or Zealot, but I'm holding my own in Silver league right now.

Matt
5 Aug 2010, 10:37am
im in but sooner then later wudbe great :D
if you guys need another person I could get my brother who is not in SG to play with me if theres 2v2 that just if we need more people

Bullet Wound
5 Aug 2010, 11:46am
Alright well we got 9 votes (plus zealot who didnt vote) and most of them are for 2v2 with most people in 1v1 saying they would be fine with 2v2.

Therefore we have enough for a 10 man 2v2 tourny right now, I'll wait a little longer to see if we can get up to 12, but as it stands ill make up random teams and get the tourny set up now (I'll set it up for 10 and if 2 more come in ill add them)

Here is a link to the Tournament: http://challonge.com/sgsc2tourny

NEW Teams are:
Jasper, Spiritwind
B0red, Morningafter
Ngo, Potshot
Zealot, Matthew123
Bullet Wound, Sexy Fish

Style will be double elimination (So you have to lose 2 games to be out), we can do best of 3 or single games.

If you want different teams i can re-random them, but you can't choose who you get due to obviously being able to stack a team.

Matt
5 Aug 2010, 12:21pm
sweet one thing umm the dates of games???

Bullet Wound
5 Aug 2010, 12:30pm
sweet one thing umm the dates of games???

When we are all ready, get in contact with your teammates, then contact the other team and set up a time good for you.

Make sure to tell me when it is (pm or something) then tell me the result.

Others are welcome to watch your games if they'd like.

GL everyone!

(Also teams are changed)

Rules Update: Matches are best of three, you advance according to the tournament flow, and after you lose two matches of best of 3 you're out.

Spiritwind
5 Aug 2010, 12:57pm
I'm available on fridays and every day after 9:30pm PST.

Harbor
5 Aug 2010, 01:00pm
!bet zealot all

KScorp
5 Aug 2010, 01:07pm
Since I'm not confident in my SC2 skills at all, I'll try and watch some games.

Make sure to save the recordings! :P

b0red
5 Aug 2010, 02:05pm
I cannot play this weekend, because I will be in new jersey.

PotshotPolka
5 Aug 2010, 03:06pm
I suggest you hold off a week or two, we have a lot of people that just bought the game and haven't played it much at all, and maybe they'd be willing to participate after a little practice.

Bullet Wound
5 Aug 2010, 03:58pm
I suggest you hold off a week or two, we have a lot of people that just bought the game and haven't played it much at all, and maybe they'd be willing to participate after a little practice.

Yea seems like lots of people are busy in the upcoming days (myself included actually), so we'll hold it off for like a week. Give people time to practice, as quite a few are new.

The teams and such will remain the same and such, so practice with them if you want during this time (if new players join we'll deal with that then).

b0red
5 Aug 2010, 04:59pm
Yeah bullet your gonna need it because I'm going to own

Jasper
5 Aug 2010, 07:49pm
BulletWound and SmexyFish, lol. That's a well rounded team right there.

Me and my teamate should be at rape status by the end of the week.

Spiritwind
6 Aug 2010, 12:37am
BulletWound and SmexyFish, lol. That's a well rounded team right there.

Me and my teamate should be at rape status by the end of the week.

Keep up that attitude and we will be =p.

Frostbyte
6 Aug 2010, 05:21am
I might sign up. I gotta stop playing the DotA mod (Murky the Murloc is so fucking awesome)

Mcbride
6 Aug 2010, 08:30am
i own the game so everyone just knows but im not interested in the tournament, im not into competitive play for SC2 maybe some other time in the future.

Bill Smauz
6 Aug 2010, 10:31am
Here is my account for SC2:
BillSmauz and my code is 775
I am in the lower end of the Gold league.

If I may offer a suggestion though for the tournament, I'd suggest creating a match making system fro the tournament similar to BNET's match making system.
Bronze players paired with other Bronze players and lower tier Silver players
Silver players paired with other Silver players and lower tier Gold players
Gold players paired with other Gold players and lower tier Platinum players
Platinum players paired with other Platinum players and lower tier Diamond players
and finally. Diamond players paired with other Diamond players

Matt
6 Aug 2010, 12:50pm

If I may offer a suggestion though for the tournament, I'd suggest creating a match making system fro the tournament similar to BNET's match making system.
Platinum players paired with other Platinum players and lower tier Diamond players

im still in practice league :P

Hiphopopotomus
6 Aug 2010, 06:22pm
Put me in ittt! I'll play everything i can

Dracula
6 Aug 2010, 06:31pm

Theres no point really, we have no true Diamond or Platinum players and mabey one or two gold.

Bullet Wound
6 Aug 2010, 07:49pm
Theres no point really, we have no true Diamond or Platinum players and mabey one or two gold.

Actually me, Zealot and Hiphop are all platinum, though hiphop deserves to be on a lower tier (no offense lol).

But yea, theres no real reason to separate us into sections, unless we start doing 1v1s teams can be balanced by pairing good players with weaker players.

Ngo
6 Aug 2010, 07:59pm
Yea im the shitty player in my team

Bullet Wound
6 Aug 2010, 08:04pm
So FYI I'm leaving this Monday till Friday, so we'll probably be starting next Saturday, we might also have to re-arrange the teams by then, due to many more people joining already.

Dracula
6 Aug 2010, 10:32pm
Actually me, Zealot and Hiphop are all platinum, though hiphop deserves to be on a lower tier (no offense lol).

But yea, theres no real reason to separate us into sections, unless we start doing 1v1s teams can be balanced by pairing good players with weaker players.

I highly dought your true Platinum players.

Edit nvm, I saw he was talking about what bnet ses you are Lol.

Spjerre
7 Aug 2010, 09:03am
Completly noob in the SC serie but have played games similar to it before ofc. Open for anything if anyone wants. EU ofc if we have any of those

Zealot
7 Aug 2010, 06:51pm

Me vs Bullet is always a good match cause Bullet is so bm when he gets marine pushed.

Plus I cry to baneling busts.

Jasper
9 Aug 2010, 10:58pm
So are the teams set now? If so, couldn't we get our matchups now? It'd be nice to be able to get the first round out of the way if the 2 teams decided to.

Btw, I hope everyone knows I can only play online after 6pm central.

Edit: Nvm. Just noticed the teams might get re-arranged. And here I was, confident in my partner.

Bullet Wound
11 Aug 2010, 05:57pm
Well turns out I am back early (camping was boring....eat, sleep, swim, repeat) and since we have an even 18 players (20 votes buy shamwow doesn't have the game and mcbride said no) I can re-evaluate the teams and then we can start. Threads been up for a week now so its safe to assume anyone who was gonna be interested would have seen it by now (Gantza is also a possibility to play since he can't sign in the fourms and see this, so we'll see).

Anyways I'll re-work the teams and we can start ASAP.

Zealot
11 Aug 2010, 07:44pm
Working Saturday morning till 5-6 pm EST, but then I'm good to go till Tuesday. Some practice scrims on Friday sound good for everyone?

Edit: 4-3 in Plat not counting placements (8-4 if ya do :D)

Ganzta
11 Aug 2010, 08:04pm
im in

Dante
11 Aug 2010, 09:10pm
I'm free anytime after 6:00pm Central time and most of the weekends.

Bullet Wound
12 Aug 2010, 12:24pm
Well we now have 19 players...so we gotta wait till 1 more shows up, or if 1 person wants to be on two teams, or if 1 person wants to drop out.

Ganzta
12 Aug 2010, 02:05pm
Well we now have 19 players...so we gotta wait till 1 more shows up, or if 1 person wants to be on two teams, or if 1 person wants to drop out.

lol i'll be in 2 teams
i'll fight against myself so i can advance

PotshotPolka
12 Aug 2010, 05:39pm
dropping due to schedule (and HOI3)

Bullet Wound
12 Aug 2010, 08:27pm
dropping due to schedule (and HOI3)

Alright, we have 18 now so great, teams are now as followed (note this is the first one and just for fun so as far as balancing teams are i am not gonna bother, these teams look decently fair anyways)

Team 1
Spjerre
Spiritwind

Team 2
Hiphopopotomus
Jasper

Team 3
Zealot
matthew123

Team 4
Game Freak
Ganzta

Team 5
Labarr15
Bill Smauz

Team 6
Bullet Wound
Desum

Team 7
b0red
Sexy Fish

Team 8
Morningafter
Ngo

Team 9
Dante
Cait Sithz

I re-did the Tournament info here: http://challonge.com/sgsc2tourny

Once again its Double Elimination, Best of 3 Rounds

Good Luck Everyone, we start whenever you're ready (so now) pms would be nice when you're doing your rounds but not required, but pming me with the results are obviously required.

(Also if you really dislike your teammate or something like that pm me and I'll try and work around it)

Zealot
12 Aug 2010, 10:04pm
Bored and sexyfish? lol

Jasper
14 Aug 2010, 03:48pm
Me vs Zealot in the first round? :censored:

Bullet Wound
14 Aug 2010, 07:24pm
Me vs Zealot in the first round? :censored:

Double Elimination, means you'll just move to the other side and face the other losers lol :P

Jasper
16 Aug 2010, 07:36am
Well, looks like no ones playing so I guess we'll just call it a 9-way draw. My teammate didn't respond to my PM so I'll assume he died or something.

GG chaps.

Matt
16 Aug 2010, 08:43am
I am going to my uncles cottage from wednesday till saturday so i cant make practice scrims this friday but im still in it would be great to know exact time when it starts 4 me and zealot

Jasper
16 Aug 2010, 10:18am
The time is whenever Hippo comes back to the planet, which might take a while. I've been free this whole time but my teammate's dead.

Bullet Wound
16 Aug 2010, 12:12pm
The time is whenever Hippo comes back to the planet, which might take a while. I've been free this whole time but my teammate's dead.

Hiphop was playing yesterday during the day, i'll yet at him next time i see him to answer you.

Spiritwind
16 Aug 2010, 01:26pm
Wow, that sucks. Jasper and I had spent some time practicing together and had a good flow going already.
I hope the new guy I'm teamed with can get on so him and I can do the same ^^.

Archy
17 Aug 2010, 07:41am
Aww i guess I'm too late

Bullet Wound
17 Aug 2010, 11:13am
Alright well it seems that many people here decided to sign up and then just ignore the tournament altogether afterwords.

Therefore for those who actually want to play and just cannot get the people to answer them, we will start dropping players, this way the tournament will actually get played through.

So if you have tried to get a hold of your partner or opposing team and they have not answered, PM me and I will drop them (after trying to get ahold of them myself) and re-organize the tournament accordingly.

If you get dropped don't start raging because you were only gone for a few days or something like that, its been going on for well over a week, and we will be having more in the future.

Hopefully this way we can actually play the game.

Ngo
17 Aug 2010, 11:48am
i haven't seen morningafter for a while

Bullet Wound
17 Aug 2010, 12:57pm
i haven't seen morningafter for a while

Um ok....did you actually send him a PM?

Because he signed in today.

Ngo
17 Aug 2010, 03:34pm
yea i sent him a pm asking him when he wants to play some practice games.

he doesn't even know what i'm talking about... wat

Ganzta
18 Aug 2010, 09:28pm
i told you i had no access to the forums
tell me over vent next time

Zealot
19 Aug 2010, 12:42pm
Instead of making a new thread, I'll just post it here.

I was talking to Bullet about making this tourney a 1v1. By doing this we eliminate the times you can't find your partner(s) and everything will be balanced around player skill. The matches will be shorter and so we could even have a loser's bracket. 1v1 also means you will not be carried or owned by some cheese strats, all in all more fair play. The only problem is how we're going to match people up. Most tourney's have players of even skill level and so that's how we tried balancing 2v2, so I guess we'll just try to randomize the matches.

After the 1v1 tourney we can access where everyone's skill level is at and thus make new proper teams for the 2v2.

Bullet Wound
19 Aug 2010, 12:48pm
Instead of making a new thread, I'll just post it here.

I was talking to Bullet about making this tourney a 1v1. By doing this we eliminate the times you can't find your partner(s) and everything will be balanced around player skill. The matches will be shorter and so we could even have a loser's bracket. 1v1 also means you will not be carried or owned by some cheese strats, all in all more fair play. The only problem is how we're going to match people up. Most tourney's have players of even skill level and so that's how we tried balancing 2v2, so I guess we'll just try to randomize the matches.

After the 1v1 tourney we can access where everyone's skill level is at and thus make new proper teams for the 2v2.

Yep pretty much this, I will send a pm to everyone explaining the details and the new teams (well, its 1v1 so you are your own team).

The ling for the tourny is still the same, i am just editing it, however it will not be changed until I have confirmation from each person who wants to participate, that way we aren't waiting for people.

Jasper
19 Aug 2010, 07:44pm
K, I'm in. Should probably make a new thread.

Jasper
21 Aug 2010, 08:18pm
Tournaments dead.

Without a prize, everyone will flake.

fanatiik
22 Aug 2010, 10:36am
i wish i was good enough to be in that tournament lol