PDA

View Full Version : Acipere's Boot/Restart Issues

Acipere
2 Aug 2010, 01:15pm
Tech Support Help Ticket
What general section does your problem fall under
Boot/Restart Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Norton 2010 Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
HP What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
Counterstrike Source? Please state your problem here
Whenever I play css, I'm in the middle of a game and my computer randomly shuts off, I already ran several virus scans and a system recovery. Any ways of how I can fix this?

PotshotPolka
2 Aug 2010, 01:52pm
Well first, it's not a virus.

When you say your computer "shuts off" what exactly happens? Do you get a BSOD, is their hangup with the audio looping before it restarts? Is there an error message upon rebooting? Is it ONLY when playing CS:S?

It's nearly impossible to diagnose your problem unless we know specifics of what happens at the moment it crashes.

I'm not confident in saying this but I'm leaning more towards hardware and maybe videocard drivers with this problem.

Acipere
2 Aug 2010, 02:05pm
Well first, it's not a virus.

When you say your computer "shuts off" what exactly happens? Do you get a BSOD, is their hangup with the audio looping before it restarts? Is there an error message upon rebooting? Is it ONLY when playing CS:S?

It's nearly impossible to diagnose your problem unless we know specifics of what happens at the moment it crashes.

I'm not confident in saying this but I'm leaning more towards hardware and maybe videocard drivers with this problem.

It's only for CSS, WoW and other games run fine, Nothing happens the moment it crashes, my computer just restarts.

Spiffy
3 Aug 2010, 12:02pm
What other games are you playing? It could be an overheating issue. What video card do you have?

crazy_tim412
4 Aug 2010, 03:14pm
Maybe a directx problem, try running the built in benchmark of css, see what that says
+ is it at every server or only 1 server?

What other games are you playing? It could be an overheating issue. What video card do you have?

WoW and other games run fine

looks like answered,
only the graphic card
but with WoW and dalaran requires some graphic handling to get around
so I think overheating isnt a problem

b0red
4 Aug 2010, 03:57pm
Have you recently put in a new graphics card? If so what card and whats your power supply.

Shadowex3
11 Aug 2010, 12:17am
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Don't change any of your settings but stress test with this and get back to us on your graphics card make, model, and temperatures. This will let us know if it's your GPU. If it's not then stressing the CPU would be the next test.

Spiffy
23 Aug 2010, 02:50pm
Where are you at on this?

Shadowex3
25 Aug 2010, 07:26pm
Also for the record norton is an ABYSMAL piece of shit that is itself at LEAST as bad as many viruses/malwares out there. Ditch it and switch to Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Spybot.

Kaos
27 Aug 2010, 10:51am
Did you buy any cable with a certain watt of power limit? Also, are your fans working okay (possible overheating as already mentioned by others)?

Tweezy
27 Aug 2010, 11:34am
Computer randomly shuts down while playing game - playing games = a rise in temp within your computer, I think I'm leaning towards a heat temp problem, while running a game, run it in windowed mode, and then download this

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

It monitors your comp temperature.

Try and keep an up to date monitor on the temperatures, once your computer restarts tell me the last temp reading you had.

For the record, norton = shit... All it does is slow your computer down... Get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Advised by Shadow)

Spiffy
13 Sep 2010, 12:41pm
Closing this because it's over a month old and he hasn't been on the forums since the day he made it.