PDA

View Full Version : FAA/AA WTF Airline hate thread

LegalSmash
26 Mar 2008, 08:45am
I hate airline tickets.

there should be no reason why it costs 340 to go from Miami to Washington and back three months from now in coach and get treated like shit by their services.

Mind you, i am looking for the worst times possible.

What boggles my mind is that the airlines have been bailed out multiple times.

I wouldnt care about the price if the service was good. But its not.

Anyone else hate the airlines and why?

Red
26 Mar 2008, 09:12am
I hate airlines that get bailed out forcing thereby punishing airlines that would have otherwise been rewarded for their better service and business operations, that instead have to cut back on their customer care and overall quality.

Take Delta, they've managed to stay alive on their own without bailouts, but each time AA and UA get bailed out, Delta basically gets punished, and they can't pay their workers as much and the workers strike, which fucks them and fucks us.

Yeah, uncle sam needs to DIAF. Not only for that but for making me owe taxes again this year.

LegalSmash
26 Mar 2008, 09:20am
AA is ridiculous. They wont even give you a fucking bag of pretzels for 300 a person at 5 am. WTF is next, coin operated bathrooms and bibles? 6 dollar water?

Italian Jew
26 Mar 2008, 09:23am
High prices are probably there because the U.S. has all the new crap from 9/11. It takes the bulk of your trip to get through security nowadays and the airline personnel are "trained" in anti-terrorism. Rising oil prices contribute to it as well, but if they do not get better service, like say, back in the 50's and 60's when being a pilot was like being a movie star....

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1941/pilotgoodwq1.jpg

If it is a business trip you might consider taking the train. Business class is very good in those things on most train lines. Even coach is better than on the plane. Trains do take longer, but you are wasting your time in security at the airport anyway. On the train you can at least do work if you need to.

Zero001
26 Mar 2008, 09:27am
$340 to fly inside of the country is ridiculous.

Don't fly AA. There are plenty of options to choose from. Have you considered flying into FLL? It's cheaper than flying into MIA. Spirit and JetBlue offer quality service for a fraction of the cost of AA. Not sure what day your flying, but you should be able to save at least $100.

Zero001
26 Mar 2008, 09:45am
If it is a business trip you might consider taking the train. Business class is very good in those things on most train lines. Even coach is better than on the plane. Trains do take longer, but you are wasting your time in security at the airport anyway. On the train you can at least do work if you need to.

Avoid the Amtrak at all cost. Odds are you won't save that much on just a round trip compared to flying and it is exhausting. When I was at UCF I purchased the Florida Rail Pass and I would travel to Miami almost every weekend. Average time between Orlando and Miami is 8 hours so I can only imagine what it's like from D.C. The train is rarely on time and can be very frustrating if you're not used to it. You do get more space than what you get on an airplane, but thats because you'll need it ;)

LegalSmash
26 Mar 2008, 10:00am
Hey, thanks for the advice zero. Jet blue unfortunately didnt have the Ft. L or Miami depart, rather, they come out of Ft. Myers. If it were me, I would for the savings, (about 100). Because its for my grandmother and a few relatives, they insist on MIA departure. Even the comparison between the airlines at MIA are sad, the greatest difference between prices is 10 dollars if you want to leave at 6 am and be back at 2 am, across the board, AA, Delta, Etc. Basically, Im looking at a min of 1000 for the trip... but its graduation, so I doubt they would really care since its a once in a lifetime (hopefully the last graduation i need to do before i make money). This is retarded, and my inner jew is screaming in anguish, but they will probably fork for it.

As for the training in antiterror, i almost spat out coffee in class when I saw this statement. Its hilarious to me that they call it that. Guys I went to high school with that couldnt get into Miami Dade Community College (back when it was called this and accepted everything...) are now in charge of REGIONAL security for the airport. This guy is a 300 lb half wit with an attendance certificate from HS (what you get if you finished but didnt have GPA) who gets his kicks by pulling people out of line and searching them in their "special room".

It never ceases to amaze me that him, and about 2500 people at MIA that fit poorly into their rentacop uniforms have that much authority... for that matter, jobs in the government. Homeland security airport employees are like the walmart aisle workers of the federal government.

Since this is politics, TBH, the creation of this do nothing agency branch is a particular rough spot with me and the bush administration's handling of internal travel (HLS has SOME use, but the airport branch... its retarded).

Airport security needs to be efficient. Government workers are anything but.

Red
26 Mar 2008, 10:04am
Train from Miami to D.C. takes 24 hours. My gf took it.

Zero001
26 Mar 2008, 10:50am
Hey, thanks for the advice zero. Jet blue unfortunately didnt have the Ft. L or Miami depart, rather, they come out of Ft. Myers. If it were me, I would for the savings, (about 100). Because its for my grandmother and a few relatives, they insist on MIA departure. Even the comparison between the airlines at MIA are sad, the greatest difference between prices is 10 dollars if you want to leave at 6 am and be back at 2 am, across the board, AA, Delta, Etc. Basically, Im looking at a min of 1000 for the trip... but its graduation, so I doubt they would really care since its a once in a lifetime (hopefully the last graduation i need to do before i make money). This is retarded, and my inner jew is screaming in anguish, but they will probably fork for it.

What! No FLL? Are you sure you looked at it right. They offer both Ft. Lauderdale and Ft. Myers. I just randomly put 06/03-06/10 and I got $199 including tax/fees (screen shot provided). That's a savingings of $141 by going JetBlue in FLL. I know it's not up to you and it's probably hard to convince your family otherwise, but FLL will be cheaper and it's more organized than MIA. The extra drive is worth it IMO.

Train from Miami to D.C. takes 24 hours. My gf took it. That's terrible. Most of the delays are caused by freight trains or local trains that have priority over the rails. It would be nice to have a bullet train that covered the east coast.

LegalSmash
26 Mar 2008, 11:32am
thanks for that man, maybe i missed it, ill tell my gma about it. maybe shell bite.

Italian Jew
26 Mar 2008, 11:56am
Amtrak is required to stop at certain stations for an hour, and south of D.C. they have to travel below 100 mph, I think more around 70 or something. Trains for the south suck, but if you go up north they go faster so the times are shorter and there are less stops. Up north, the only major stop is New York

EvInReaLife
26 Mar 2008, 03:51pm
AA is ridiculous. They wont even give you a fucking bag of pretzels for 300 a person at 5 am. WTF is next, coin operated bathrooms and bibles? 6 dollar water?

Like movie theatres, a "convinience charge"

And LOL at your avatar Legal

Blank
26 Mar 2008, 07:13pm
I can tell you why the price of the ticket is so high. If you think you have it bad when you fill up your car, try filling up an aircraft. My turbo-prop King Air (see avatar) holds 3,650 lbs of fuel (544 +/- gal. depending on temperature). On my most recent trip to D.C, the price of a gallon of fuel was almost $7.00. $3808 to top 'er off (I get all the credit card points ftw!).

A Delta MD-88 hold around 10 times this amount of fuel. Until the price of dino juice reduces, an airline ticket will remain rather high.

One reason why Jetblue, Airtran, and other recent upstarts have lower ticket prices is due to the age of their aircraft. Jetblue, AirTran ect. use all new, or recently new, aircraft. Huge advancements have been made in jet-engine technology in the past 10 to 15 years.
Example:

Delta flight: Pensacola, FL to Atlanta, GA, MD-88, Fuel load 18,000 lbs.
AirTran flight: Pensacola, FL to Atlanta, GA, Boeing 717 (mearly a new MD-88), Fuel load 11,000.

btw, jet fuel is nothing but glorified kerosene fuel.

LegalSmash
26 Mar 2008, 08:10pm
oh i am so mad that its naught but kerosene of the gloried variety.

Seriously

phatman76
26 Mar 2008, 08:23pm
TSA is full of idiots. They lock down giant airports like LAX and O'Hare so that it takes 4 hours to get through, then leave the local airports basically unguarded. Never fly into or out of a giant hub if you can avoid it. I use Burbank (Bob Hope) International in Los Angeles. Basically amazing if you are lucky enough to live next to a mid-size airport like it, you can fly non-stop to most major cities.

No one uses Amtrak on the west coast really, unless your a tourist or just need a last minute trip. They charge way to much, considering they are just trains. Considering a freight company like Southern Pacific can move like, 10,000 tons of food or coal for cents a pound, you would think Amtrak could move people cheaper.

Italian Jew
26 Mar 2008, 08:43pm
It is easier to move coal and stuff. For people, you need a level of comfort, toilets, food, access, and customer support. Its having to pay for all that stuff which is why it is so expensive, but I think they can do a better job. They are pretty good on the east coast in the mid to northern Atlantic region. I get a Student Advantage discount on my tickets so I do not have to pay much at all for tickets.

Captain Colon
26 Mar 2008, 09:23pm
I can tell you why the price of the ticket is so high. If you think you have it bad when you fill up your car, try filling up an aircraft. My turbo-prop King Air (see avatar) holds 3,650 lbs of fuel (544 +/- gal. depending on temperature). On my most recent trip to D.C, the price of a gallon of fuel was almost $7.00. $3808 to top 'er off (I get all the credit card points ftw!).
Jesus, is that for Jet A?

http://www.airnav.com/airport/M89 It'd be cheaper for you to come here just to fill up :P

Blank
27 Mar 2008, 05:08am
Jesus, is that for Jet A?

Actually, its been a while since I was there. The price is now $7.96 per gallon.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBWI

LegalSmash
27 Mar 2008, 08:08am
Does a bronzed, large breasted filipina hooker come with the cash price, sir?

Italian Jew
27 Mar 2008, 08:48am
In business class

Red
27 Mar 2008, 09:15am
Actually, its been a while since I was there. The price is now $7.96 per gallon.

Is that the plane you use to ferry people, or is that your personal fun craft, or both?

Captain Colon
27 Mar 2008, 10:29am

Daaaamn you got hosed! Pretty much everywhere in the Northeast is really bad :\