PDA

View Full Version : Dirkjr's Memory Issues

Dirk
27 Jul 2010, 09:38pm
Tech Support Help Ticket
What general section does your problem fall under
Memory Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows Vista If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
AVG Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Me What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
ddr2 800 mhz ram by ocz Please state your problem here
I had 8GBs of ddr2 ram in 4 dimms. one of the sticks failed leaving me with 6 GB and the ram is now slower with 3 sticks than it was with only 2.

Jager
27 Jul 2010, 09:44pm
that is because you are running at 2t timings (having more then 2 sticks) and are no longer using all the ram in dual channel, so you sytem has slowed all the ram to match the speed of the "orphan" stick.

either replace a the busted stick or drop to 4gb for now is about all you can do for more speed

Dirk
27 Jul 2010, 10:58pm
Ah. I was afraid you would say that. Thanks for the help I think ill drop to 4 and fix it latter.

TheVirus
29 Jul 2010, 02:31pm
Ah. I was afraid you would say that. Thanks for the help I think ill drop to 4 and fix it latter.

Go to the RAM company's website and fill out an RMA. Almost all RAM purchased these days have a life-time warranty. You should send back both sticks so you can receive a matching set. I'd also tell them that you are currently using a similar set so they don't give you a different model.

Dirk
29 Jul 2010, 02:55pm
Cool. I will check that out.