PDA

View Full Version : Haiven's Steam Issues

heartless
27 Jul 2010, 12:19pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Steam Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Nvidia Geforce GT220 is up-to-date. Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
AVG Pro Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Packard bell What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
ixtreme M3720 Please state your problem here
When I try to open a demo file, an error message pops up.

"Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'hl2'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting.

Spiffy
27 Jul 2010, 01:16pm
What game are you trying to open a demo for? They broke a lot of demos for CSS when the new update came out so if it's older than the update that might be the problem. However, try verifying the integrity of the game cache. Go to the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.

Tweezy
27 Jul 2010, 02:03pm
New update broke the css demos. Nothing you can do.

heartless
27 Jul 2010, 02:17pm
What game are you trying to open a demo for? They broke a lot of demos for CSS when the new update came out so if it's older than the update that might be the problem. However, try verifying the integrity of the game cache. Go to the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button. The demo is for CS:S, and verifying the integrity of game cache didn't work, thanks for answering though.

New update broke the css demos. Nothing you can do. When i look at the complaint section of the forums, people seem to be able to view demos.

jeN
27 Jul 2010, 08:53pm
Is it an older demo or a new one?

vorter
27 Jul 2010, 08:54pm
if the demo viewing program is the problem, try this standalone application
http://www.seismovision.net/site.php?c=downloads

heartless
28 Jul 2010, 03:12pm
Is it an older demo or a new one?New. Anyway, I think there is something that might work. I'd appreciate if someone can copy and paste everything that is in their 'Counter-Strike:Source/hl2/gameinfo.txt' file.

Caution
28 Jul 2010, 03:24pm
New. Anyway, I think there is something that might work. I'd appreciate if someone can copy and paste everything that is in their 'Counter-Strike:Source/hl2/gameinfo.txt' file.

There is no such directory, you probably mean "cstrike" instead of "hl2".

In case you do, here are the results:

"GameInfo"
{
game "Counter-Strike Source"
title "COUNTER-STRIKE'"
title2 "source"
type multiplayer_only
nomodels 1
nohimodel 1
nocrosshair 0
bots 1
hidden_maps
{
"test_speakers" 1
"test_hardware" 1
}
nodegraph 0

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId 240 // This will mount all the GCFs we need (240=CS:S, 220=HL2).
ToolsAppId 211 // Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

//
// The code that loads this file automatically does a few things here:
//
// 1. For each "Game" search path, it adds a "GameBin" path, in <dir>\bin
// 2. For each "Game" search path, it adds another "Game" path in front of it with _<langage> at the end.
// For example: c:\hl2\cstrike on a french machine would get a c:\hl2\cstrike_french path added to it.
// 3. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "MOD".
// 4. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "DEFAULT_WRITE_PATH".
//

//
// Search paths are relative to the base directory, which is where hl2.exe is found.
//
// |gameinfo_path| points at the directory where gameinfo.txt is.
// We always want to mount that directory relative to gameinfo.txt, so
// people can mount stuff in c:\mymod, and the main game resources are in
// someplace like c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\<username>\half-life 2.
//
SearchPaths
{
Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game cstrike
Game |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
}
}
}

heartless
28 Jul 2010, 04:01pm
There is no such directory, you probably mean "cstrike" instead of "hl2".

In case you do, here are the results:

Thanks, a program actually starts up but crashes after 3 seconds. Oh well, as long as people can view my demos it's okay.

Spiffy
3 Aug 2010, 04:21pm
Have you tried watching a new demo?

b0red
3 Aug 2010, 05:04pm
When was the exact date of when you recorded this demo.