PDA

View Full Version : Gero's Video Issues

kabLe
25 Jul 2010, 09:35pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Video Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
258.(something) Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
McAfee Virus Scanner Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Me What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 Please state your problem here
I used to have an NVIDIA 6600 and it would overheat I guess and cause "artifacts" as I was told. Player models would be messed up, world models and black boxes on my screen would appear. Today I just bought a GT 240 and the same thing is happening except it happens more frequent. Now sometimes my pc will freeze up and then crash. I really don't know what to do. I had an older motherboard and upgraded and the same thing happened. Got a new video card and the same thing happens. I'm running out of solutions. Please Help

Jager
25 Jul 2010, 09:46pm
can you do me a favor and check your power supply fans, make sure your heatsink on your processor is firmly attached, and that your pc isnt dusty/dirty.

generally the issues you describe are either faulty card, or a psu that cannot supply all the power needed, or some issue with your CPU. but are you having this issue with all games? or just css?

I lean toward the psu being the issue because you got a new card and its crashing randomly, which is a good indication you may be pushing the limits of your psu.

please also check the psu wattage while you are in your pc and let me know who made it, the wattage, and the model if you can

Tweezy
26 Jul 2010, 06:57am
Can you tell me the full specs of your computer please! Or you can just give me a dxdiag diagnostic.

To do that, goto your "run" and type in

dxdiag

Then save the file, upload and ill tell you what you need to do!

andre1028
26 Jul 2010, 09:57am
Like I said yesterday, tell your step dad or whoever to install the heat sink that CAME with your processor because a faulty heat sink can lead you to the 100+ degrees Celsius temps you've been getting.

Tweezy
26 Jul 2010, 10:00am
Like I said yesterday, tell your step dad or whoever to install the heat sink that CAME with your processor because a faulty heat sink can lead you to the 100+ degrees Celsius temps you've been getting.

He doesn't have the heat sink installed on his GPU/CPU??? If not, im amazed your computer is still running -_-.

kabLe
26 Jul 2010, 10:34am
No, I have the fan on my card and CPU. What it was is that me and my step dad traded CPU's and the fan that came with his he kept and i kept mine. Mine was for a Dual Core 2.0 ghz and his was for a 2.5 ghz. I put his on and I still get the problems and those same temps on my pc even at startup. But everythin else is fine.

Also Jager, nothing is dusty/dirty. I just bought the power supply/card yesterday and I dusted everything before putting anything in my pc. Power supply fan is good and my heat sink is firmly attached.

That wattage is 680 W and its set on 115 volts and I think the power supply is made by APOWER

EDIT: Spec's to come when my lag stops and upload speed increases.

Tweezy
26 Jul 2010, 11:14am
No, I have the fan on my card and CPU. What it was is that me and my step dad traded CPU's and the fan that came with his he kept and i kept mine. Mine was for a Dual Core 2.0 ghz and his was for a 2.5 ghz. I put his on and I still get the problems and those same temps on my pc even at startup. But everythin else is fine.

Also Jager, nothing is dusty/dirty. I just bought the power supply/card yesterday and I dusted everything before putting anything in my pc. Power supply fan is good and my heat sink is firmly attached.

That wattage is 680 W and its set on 115 volts and I think the power supply is made by APOWER

EDIT: Spec's to come when my lag stops and upload speed increases.

Power supply is fine, if I read this correctly, you don't have a heatsink for your CPU? If not I would recommend powering down your computer and buying your self a heatsink ASAP!

kabLe
26 Jul 2010, 11:20am
I have one.

Tweezy
26 Jul 2010, 12:58pm
The only thing I can think of is either a faulty card or your rig is to hot...

Can you take the side of and take some photos please? I want to see what fans you have in it.

kabLe
26 Jul 2010, 06:04pm
I've fixed the problem. Somewhere down the road I must have blew a part of my memory chip or it was too slow to compete with my higher end pc. It was 667 mhz and my step dad put in 2 gb of 800 mhz and hyperthreaded them. Played for about 2 hours and nothing happened. Thanks for all the help. I was able to narrow the list of faulty parts down to the memory. :thumb:

Jager
26 Jul 2010, 07:04pm
well glad it got fixed, surprised memory passed the bios boot test (unless you are fast booting) so I'll mark this resolved and move it.