PDA

View Full Version : Community update.

barackobama
22 Jul 2010, 12:38am
Hey,

Just wanted to do a quick thread, to keep you all updated.

As most of you know, we are buying VB4 at the end of the month, so that's something to look forward too.

We will do a lot of re-styling, and cleaning up, but it all depends on what we decide, but we feel we need to give the forum a good once over!

Servers are doing great, and running fantastic, thanks to the tech team for that!

Paul managed to bring surf alive again, which is fantastic! :D Make sure you check it out :thumb:

Don't forget to donate also, if you can spare something :thumb:

Over and out,

Board Of Directors x

Caution
22 Jul 2010, 12:39am
sweet

Chainedlord
22 Jul 2010, 12:44am
awesome :)

Repus
22 Jul 2010, 12:45am
Oh, this is one of your "support m***f** community" threads? You need to upload that video again.

darth maul
22 Jul 2010, 12:46am
coolio

Harry
22 Jul 2010, 12:48am
Ew, VB4 :c

Everything else is cool :D

b0red
22 Jul 2010, 12:57am
looking forward to the forum skins

Astrum
22 Jul 2010, 01:35am
I did a quick edit on the thread. We're not switching over to vB4 at the end of the month, we should be buying it if we receive enough donations though. Due to work and my personal life I haven't been able to do much lately. Although I do have one custom plugin I'm writing half working.

I might open up a thread when we're nearer to completion asking for any further suggestions and give a sneak peak. No guarantee we'll use these suggestions, so we'll see. First person to suggest the old Zombie Murder forum theme (usually from people who weren't even around back then) will receive a one week forum ban for being a twat.

Care to elaborate?

Drox
22 Jul 2010, 01:48am
nice

struki
22 Jul 2010, 01:52am
kewl beans

Harry
22 Jul 2010, 01:52am
Care to elaborate?
I am pretty sure some other people here dislike VB4 (I might be confusing myself with another forum, but I am pretty sure it was this one..)

There is nothing wrong with VB3. I really see no reason to upgrade until VB3 is discontinued or no longer receiving security updates. VB4 is also more fat, filled with more useless features (adding to bloat).`

RaDiuM
22 Jul 2010, 02:12am
I am pretty sure some other people here dislike VB4 (I might be confusing myself with another forum, but I am pretty sure it was this one..)

There is nothing wrong with VB3. I really see no reason to upgrade until VB3 is discontinued or no longer receiving security updates. VB4 is also more fat, filled with more useless features (adding to bloat).`

VB4 is pretty horrible. But cool!

darth jacen
22 Jul 2010, 04:30am
VB4 is pretty horrible. But cool!

I would hope those two things would be mutually exclusive...

kabLe
22 Jul 2010, 07:16am
I almost didn't finish reading what Astrum posted and almost got a week ban D:

starbucks
22 Jul 2010, 08:03am
Can someone tell me what VB4 is?

EvilShadow98
22 Jul 2010, 08:07am
Can someone tell me what VB4 is?

V-Bulletin 4.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

Chêvouÿx
22 Jul 2010, 08:34am
I did a quick edit on the thread. We're not switching over to vB4 at the end of the month, we should be buying it if we receive enough donations though. Due to work and my personal life I haven't been able to do much lately. Although I do have one custom plugin I'm writing half working.

I might open up a thread when we're nearer to completion asking for any further suggestions and give a sneak peak. No guarantee we'll use these suggestions, so we'll see. First person to suggest the old Zombie Murder forum theme (usually from people who weren't even around back then) will receive a one week forum ban for being a twat.

1) I'm looking foward to any upgrades and improvements. Thank you, Garfield and Astrum.

2) This is not a suggestion, but a question: what is wrong with that theme? I know it was bright colored* compared to the current, but I assume we just want to keep away from the old? Just curious.

*Not necessarily shining-in-your-eyes bright, but, if I recall correctly, it was white with light-blue versus the current black with dark-green.

Caution
22 Jul 2010, 10:50am
First person to suggest the old Zombie Murder forum theme (usually from people who weren't even around back then) will receive a one week forum ban for being a twat.

Tbh that's exactly what I'm suggesting (somewhat). I think the people should go back to being able to choose a dark forum skin or a light forum skin. I hate dark forums, but I don't mind the option being there for people to use it. I don't really care about the ZM layout, per say, just something light colored.

andre1028
22 Jul 2010, 12:16pm
If that happens there better BE an option for a dark coloured forum because people like me don't want to come home early in the morning half awake curious to see what's happening on the forums only to be blinded by shades of light blue.

Caution
22 Jul 2010, 12:21pm
If that happens there better BE an option for a dark coloured forum because people like me don't want to come home early in the morning half awake curious to see what's happening on the forums only to be blinded by shades of light blue.

That's what I suggested in the Noc Noc joke section. We used to have the option to choose light / dark; we should bring it back :sad:

andre1028
22 Jul 2010, 12:34pm
That's what I suggested in the Noc Noc joke section. We used to have the option to choose light / dark; we should bring it back :sad:

WHAT IF I DON'T WANT TO READ THAT SECTION AWU9BPOZVLVDPAVLDZVDVAVZZ

Astrum
22 Jul 2010, 12:39pm
You guys do realize that the ZM forum theme was basically just default vBadvanced, right? So okay, I'll just let you select between the default vBulletin theme (which looks like hell), and our theme. Further, SourceBans will be reskinned for the new site. There's no functionality that I know of to allow two themes for that, so that will stay dark anyway.

As far as vBulletin 4 being bloated, we actually need some of that "bloat". There are problems with it, don't get me wrong, bloat isn't one of them.

XeNo
22 Jul 2010, 02:24pm
You guys do realize that the ZM forum theme was basically just default vBadvanced, right? So okay, I'll just let you select between the default vBulletin theme (which looks like hell), and our theme. Further, SourceBans will be reskinned for the new site. There's no functionality that I know of to allow two themes for that, so that will stay dark anyway.

As far as vBulletin 4 being bloated, we actually need some of that "bloat". There are problems with it, don't get me wrong, bloat isn't one of them.
I think they were just more or less pointing towards light colors looking more appealing than dark colors.

Such as a green and silver forum rather than green and black.

P3rg3
22 Jul 2010, 02:27pm
Thanks for the update, that's what we like to see!

barackobama
22 Jul 2010, 02:40pm
I think we'll keep the same colours, but in a different style... haggard likes this...!

Bad Dog
22 Jul 2010, 03:38pm
I like the black/green combo, but it really doesnt make a difference either way what the color of the forum is.

Harry
22 Jul 2010, 03:44pm
we actually need some of that "bloat"
What do you mean? What new features you need? There are probably plugins for VB3 that would do it :3

Caution
22 Jul 2010, 03:46pm
I think we'll keep the same colours, but in a different style... haggard likes this...!

He's just saying that he might leave the option for people to use the default vb4 skin if they don't like the current one.

Astrum
22 Jul 2010, 04:21pm
What do you mean? What new features you need? There are probably plugins for VB3 that would do it :3

More importantly what do you mean? Honestly the vB4 forum component didn't add much. There are a few new things, most of which you guys will never see as it's backend stuff.

VirDeBello
22 Jul 2010, 05:34pm
The dark colours are better on me eyes. I don't like the bright blue shit we have, hurts >.< And I'll donate some money today.

Neji
23 Jul 2010, 01:32am
Dark + Blue color = Starcraft style... I wouldn't want that...

I prefer Dark and Silver.

And Astrum, could you explain to me what is the diffrence betweeen the version we have right now and VB4?

Cromyth
23 Jul 2010, 01:40am
I went on a site the was upgraded from v3 to v4 not too long ago and there were some bugs like, Hitting new posts and then it logs you off, hitting new posts then it will say there are new posts but not letting you click and general crashes. It might have been the provider itself or something else. It doesn't do it now though so it was most likely fixed.

Kiwi
23 Jul 2010, 08:30am

Everything else is cool :D

^^

Dannen
23 Jul 2010, 09:24am
I love the black and green colours, they are easy on the eyes and make us different from the typical white and blue madness that I have seen on other forums.

P3rg3
23 Jul 2010, 10:59am
Shouldn't we wait for the re-styling to actually be done before we can give suggestions on improvements?

Astrum
23 Jul 2010, 01:16pm
I'd like to state that I've looked heavily into optimizing the new forum, and I mean heavily. Most likely you won't notice a difference.

And Astrum, could you explain to me what is the diffrence betweeen the version we have right now and VB4?

Biggest difference you guys will see is the built in content management system. There are other goodies for us (well me), but they're not horribly interesting.

I went on a site the was upgraded from v3 to v4 not too long ago and there were some bugs like, Hitting new posts and then it logs you off, hitting new posts then it will say there are new posts but not letting you click and general crashes. It might have been the provider itself or something else. It doesn't do it now though so it was most likely fixed.

4.0.0 wasn't amazing. Latests patch is 4.0.5 which seems to be fairly stable.

Shouldn't we wait for the re-styling to actually be done before we can give suggestions on improvements?

That's why I'm not taking suggestions. And it's not just the style, plenty of other work has to be done.