PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous hang-ups

Toxin
20 Jul 2010, 07:10am
So, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or knows how to solve it.

Occasionally, whilst playing TF2, the screen will freeze, the last sound heard will loop and this will continue for about 90 seconds, before returning to normal. There is no specific pattern I've seen as far as when it happens. I assumed at first that it was my GPU overheating, however the past few days it happened within about 10 minutes of running the game, and afterwards, I could run it for hours without it happening again.

Banana Joe
20 Jul 2010, 07:33am
The same as http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37147 that?

Trogdor
20 Jul 2010, 08:32am
Same thing is happening to me.

I'll be playing TF2 and the screen will freeze whatever you were looking at and the sound will loop. I then proceed to bash my keyboard. Wait for a good amount of time and when it starts to act normal again, I figure out that I've died 3 times.

I hope someone knows a solution because this shit is getting old.

Toxin
20 Jul 2010, 10:01am
That's what I found in the other thread:

you need to disable multi-core rendering.

I think it still happens with multi-core rendering off. I'll try it when I get home later.
However, turning multi-core rendering off gives me a 30 - 40 fps drop, and that's really gay.

Same thing is happening to me.

I'll be playing TF2 and the screen will freeze whatever you were looking at and the sound will loop. I then proceed to bash my keyboard. Wait for a good amount of time and when it starts to act normal again, I figure out that I've died 3 times.

I hope someone knows a solution because this shit is getting old.

Does your computer hang up also? Because I can't even Ctrl + Alt + Del or Alt + Tab out.

Spiffy
20 Jul 2010, 10:03am
There are a number of things causing TF2 problems right now. Multi-core rendering may help but it's not the end all be all fix.

Wrathek
20 Jul 2010, 10:23am
correct its not... but it seems to help alot of the time. there's some strange glitches with some cpus that does not work well with the threading.

And yes,you will lose some fps, because it will only run on one core. However, back when i needed this fix, it was with L4D, and i wouldnt just freeze for a bit.. i would BSOD.. so id rather take the FPS hit than crash any day lol

also, another try to fix it, if it still does it after disabling the ingame option, is, after starting the game up, open up task manager, right click on hl2.exe's process, and go to affinity -> and force it to a single core.