PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem

TNT
18 Jul 2010, 10:08am
I'm stumped. I've been working on this for 10+ hours. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works. Last night, I plugged in my desktop. The internet didn't work, but it didn't show a problem with the connection. So I called up Charter (Worst ISP in North America) to ask if their service was down. It wasn't. So I plugged the connection into my xbox. No internet. I then decided to plug the connection into a laptop. It worked. The setup I have running is Modem > Router > Device. When I was testing my desktop, xbox, and laptop, they were the only things hooked up, so it was not a conflicting IP address. Any ideas about how to fix this? Or even maybe what the problem is?

Edit: I've also tried setting manual IPs, testing the cable, testing the router, and the modem. None of the hardware is bad. I think it may be a problem with the DNS, but I wouldn't know how to diagnose that or fix it. Never really done any networking like this before.

Tweezy
18 Jul 2010, 11:29am
I've had problems like this before, but it was down to me messing with the ip configs/dns, what OS u using? I might be able to help!

Spiffy
18 Jul 2010, 12:51pm
You could try ipconfig/flushdns from a command prompt. Refreshing the modem wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Harry
18 Jul 2010, 01:17pm
Do a full cycle of every connected device. So, unplug everything from the router (what type of router is it?), unplug the router from the cable modem, and then unplug the cable modem and router from the wall for 30 seconds after the power from them goes off. Then replug them in.

Charter is Cable Internet provider, right? Your power levels might be too low. Go to http://192.168.100.1 (it's this address on most default cable modems) and see what it says. If the power levels are not normal (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html), then it can explain why the connection is not working correctly.

Your DNS provider may be broken. Open cmd and type "ping 8.8.8.8", and see what reply you get. If it pings fine, but normal sites do not load, then your DNS is broken! If your pings aren't going through, then it's some other problem.

If only "some" websites do not load, run a tracert and see where it dies. If it does before a few hops, then your ISP is failing.

There is probably some other stuff that you should do to help debug, but I am too lazy to think of them right now :P See if the other stuff works.

Ideally, get a better ISP if you hate yours so much. :) I use RoadRunner. Their support is bad, but they give free service calls (if you have any problems, you schedule a call and they come over and fix it for free), and their uptime and speed are decent.

TNT
18 Jul 2010, 01:38pm
Well, I just got it working after 14 hours of work. There were several problems, but it's all good now. Thanks to all of you who offered your help.

raven maniac
18 Jul 2010, 05:28pm
Well, I just got it working after 14 hours of work. There were several problems, but it's all good now. Thanks to all of you who offered your help.

sweet, was driving me nuts trying to figure that out. What were the "several" problems lol?

Jager
18 Jul 2010, 06:50pm
... raven... you sir

TNT
18 Jul 2010, 10:02pm
sweet, was driving me nuts trying to figure that out. What were the "several" problems lol?

One of them was the default settings of the router. It wasn't properly assigning IP addresses to the computer. Another was the DNS needed to be flushed. Now I have an epic setup. :3 I've got it coming in from the modem downstairs to the router in the other room, then I ran a cable to my room and used a spare router to split it into 4 connections for my lappy, my xbox, and my desktop. I also set up a static IP for my desktop so I can host some servers if needed. ^_^

raven maniac
19 Jul 2010, 06:56am
One of them was the default settings of the router. It wasn't properly assigning IP addresses to the computer. Another was the DNS needed to be flushed. Now I have an epic setup. :3 I've got it coming in from the modem downstairs to the router in the other room, then I ran a cable to my room and used a spare router to split it into 4 connections for my lappy, my xbox, and my desktop. I also set up a static IP for my desktop so I can host some servers if needed. ^_^

gotta be careful, the more you split it though the more you lose packets & bandwith. I'm guessing you have your 2nd router set as a hub going to your xbox, laptop, & desktop though right?

Sounds like a good setup though, welcome back with internets!! xD