PDA

View Full Version : Odd Laptop Startup

HankTheTank
13 Jul 2010, 02:32pm
Alright, so i have two laptops that are acting really odd.

Neither of them will start up correctly.

A little back ground on them

Brand: Gateway
Possible torrented OS (I'm not sure, They're my brothers computers.)

The error:

then it says Press any key to boot from CD or DVD . . . .

Without pressing anything it Then switched screens saying:

"The last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed. attempt to resume again?"

It gives you the choice between "Continue with system resume" or "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu"

I don't know what the latter would do, so if you could advise me, that would be wonderful, but if you choose "Continue with System resume" it goes to the "Starting up windows" screen, though this is where the problem differs on the computers

after the starting up windows screen, one just goes black, and doesn't switch to anything. The other goes to the users screen, but freezes (unable to move the mouse or do anything)

Would choosing the "Delete restoration Data and proceed to system boot menu" fix this problem? What does it even do?

Labarr
13 Jul 2010, 02:39pm
Would choosing the "Delete restoration Data and proceed to system boot menu" fix this problem? What does it even do?

It seems like something was trying to restore when the computer was acting normal but it was aborted lets say half way through.. Deleting this data should do anything bad, and it also should fix the issue. Anyone else wanna back me up/tell me im wrong :P

Jager
13 Jul 2010, 02:54pm
seems you need to repair both OS's, try what it suggests first and see what you get, if that doesnt work use a 7 disc to repair the os alltogether and start with fresh files.

Spiffy
13 Jul 2010, 03:32pm
I see nothing after "error:". However, all the message is telling you is that the computer was in a saved state (either sleep or hibernate) and that it fails when booting to that. Choosing "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" will delete the saved state and boot up like it was previously turned off.

Wrathek
13 Jul 2010, 04:00pm
what spiffy said

HankTheTank
13 Jul 2010, 04:02pm
Alright, thank you all. I'll try it as soon as my brother gets home.

Much appreciated.

Labarr
13 Jul 2010, 07:35pm
It seems like something was trying to restore when the computer was acting normal but it was aborted lets say half way through.. Deleting this data should do anything bad, and it also should fix the issue. Anyone else wanna back me up/tell me im wrong :P

I see nothing after "error:". However, all the message is telling you is that the computer was in a saved state (either sleep or hibernate) and that it fails when booting to that. Choosing "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" will delete the saved state and boot up like it was previously turned off.

Same as what i said.. but kinda easier to understand.:D

Prez
13 Jul 2010, 07:37pm
Sorry, just had to say that the tag for this thread reads [New Problem]Fixed] for me :p Hope you fix the problem!

Chaoz`
13 Jul 2010, 07:42pm
i see what your problem is, you don't have an ANY key.

soz had to do it :rlol:

can't you like put the OS back to a previous "saved" point with system recovery, i think it's F8 or something, then it sometimes put it back to were it was before the error, that usaully works tho, dunno bout this for you, but try it.

Jager
13 Jul 2010, 07:44pm
minor tech error
fixed it

Spiffy
18 Jul 2010, 06:57pm
I'm assuming the laptops are fixed.