PDA

View Full Version : Internet issues of some sort

XeNo
12 Jul 2010, 09:22am
Apparently something is wrong with my internet or something on my computer is blocking me from accessing webpages outside of firefox.

I cannot browse Steam's Shop inside of steam, I also cannot update anything through a program, I have to manually go to the site to get the update.

Also, apparently, I can't download Maps from any server on any game.

If anyone has any ideas, I could use some help since everyone I talked to has no idea whats wrong.

Wrathek
12 Jul 2010, 09:25am
i don't either. I need more information first.

Operating System and how long you've had it installed, how long this has been occurring etc., would be a good start.

That being said, if its vista or 7, i have a feeling its a permissions issue and you could try disabling user account control.

Dracula
12 Jul 2010, 10:05am
All I can say is ive had a problem that sounds similar to this and if I remember correctly I had to enable/disable shitty PC settings as stated above. ^

tinkerbell
12 Jul 2010, 10:07am
it sound like a firewall problem, firefox has access to the whole internet, but other programs have limited access, check your firewall setting for each of the programs that you use regularly.

Labarr
12 Jul 2010, 10:38am
quick check: turn OFF firewall and disable UAC and try. if it works then you know what u need to fix...

tinkerbell
12 Jul 2010, 10:39am
quick check: turn OFF firewall and disable UAC and try. if it works then you know what u need to fix...

he doesnt need to turn off his firewall, just needs to edit some of the program settings on the firewall software

Wrathek
12 Jul 2010, 10:45am
its not a UAC issue because he has XP. (ive spoken with him and he's trying a few ideas out before getting back to me)

I've surmised its either malware or a corrupted tcp or stocks stack. (leaning towards the latter).

Labarr
12 Jul 2010, 12:28pm
yea maleware has the power to do this... cant rule that out just yet..

XeNo
12 Jul 2010, 01:02pm
I remember I edited my User Account accessibility's, but I don't remember how I got to it...

Edit:
Windows XP Pro, by the way. It was a page that had a list of the accesses and boxes for me to check mark to enable my user to have the rights to said options.

Nevermind, I found it and it didn't change anything.

Steam browser keeps telling me I'm either offline on the internet or have a proxy.

Edit2:
Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not connected to the internet.-102

Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not connected to the internet.

Unable to connect to HTTP Proxy. Your proxy may be misconfigured or offline.-336

Unable to connect to HTTP Proxy. Your proxy may be misconfigured or offline.

That's what steam browser gives me.

Yet I'm downloading Garry's Mod's update from Steam...Like what the fuck.

jeN
12 Jul 2010, 01:04pm
I remember I edited my User Account accessibility's, but I don't remember how I got to it...

Control Panel > User Accounts ?

Spiral
12 Jul 2010, 01:28pm
Check if your Internet Explorer is set to use a proxy, it's under the Connections tab and then LAN Settings.

XeNo
12 Jul 2010, 01:28pm
Control Panel > User Accounts ?
Nah in XP it doesn't have the 'Disable User Account Control' option. Also, I was talking about right clicking on C:\ and properties -> Security where you can enable full control over the disk. That didn't do anything either.

XeNo
12 Jul 2010, 01:30pm
Check if your Internet Explorer is set to use a proxy, it's under the Connections tab and then LAN Settings.
My internet explorer doesn't open when I click on it....Could this be the issue? I wasn't aware Steam and auto-updates run off of Explorer.

I'll try reinstalling IE.

Edit:
My internet explorer I currently have refuses to uninstall.

Spiral
12 Jul 2010, 01:34pm
A lot of apps use IE settings when downloading stuff, especially ones made in a .net language.

Steam used to use IE but switched to webkit sometime around that 2010 UI Update, although it could still be getting your proxy settings from IE.

Since you can't open IE, If you're familiar with the windows registry you can go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings
and make sure ProxyEnable is set to 0.

XeNo
12 Jul 2010, 01:53pm
A lot of apps use IE settings when downloading stuff, especially ones made in a .net language.

Steam used to use IE but switched to webkit sometime around that 2010 UI Update, although it could still be getting your proxy settings from IE.

Since you can't open IE, If you're familiar with the windows registry you can go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings
and make sure ProxyEnable is set to 0.
It was set to 1, I changed it to 0, it still doesn't connect. Do I have to restart for it to work?

Also, I'm bothered by the fact IE doesn't open, I can't uninstall it, and trying to overwrite the files with IE8 doesn't work.

XeNo
12 Jul 2010, 02:19pm
Update:
Turning IE's proxy off fixed my Steam issue, however, all programs with auto updates tell me I'm not connected to the internet.

My IE doesn't open, and it doesn't uninstall, even removing it from components doesn't get rid of the files and I can't install IE8's files.

Jager
12 Jul 2010, 02:44pm
ie is built into xp, the best you can do in this case is first try and install ie8 from the windows update site, (get the full version)
install restart the pc then check and see what you get.

if that does not fix the issue, you need to grab your windows cd, and rerun your windows setup (when the pc starts. when it says install windows hit f8 to continue do that, it will go into a searching for previous versions of windows, it should find your windows install, and ask if you want to repair it. hit yes and let it do its work (you will have to reenter your cd key and set some options partway through.

if you dont have a windows cd (or your system uses an oem restore windows disc) then backup your data, and steam gcf files and then reinstall using the system cd.

when ie goes bad on XP not much else you can do.

Spiffy
12 Jul 2010, 03:59pm
Sorry, I missed your last 3 messages. Comet chat fails for me. =\

XeNo
12 Jul 2010, 06:24pm
I can now open IE but browsing on it seems slow and freezes sometimes, so I'm just going to say fuck it and reformat tomorrow.

Honestly it's becoming more work to fix it than it would be to just save some folders, and reformat lol.

Spiffy
13 Jul 2010, 08:13am
It usually is. =\