PDA

View Full Version : Choke in CSS

Labarr
10 Jul 2010, 08:38pm
Today I am experiencing high choke.. around 30-50 at times.. some days it is there and some days it is fine.. any tips on what i can do to fix it?
thanks!!
Labarr15

Spiffy
10 Jul 2010, 09:50pm
You might check to see if your rate is changing. I used to have a problem that every once in a while my rate would be set at 3500 for some odd reason.

Shadowex3
10 Jul 2010, 10:36pm
Raise your rates and make sure your internet speed is set right in steam's settings.

Labarr
11 Jul 2010, 09:46am
yeah i changed my rates to 4000 and it works fine now
thanks

Spiffy
11 Jul 2010, 10:07am
You probably want your rate to be 25000 or 30000

Labarr
13 Jul 2010, 02:01pm
rate_30000
... still have 50+choke :/

Spiffy
13 Jul 2010, 02:06pm
You're not typing the underscore right? It's just "rate 30000"

Labarr
13 Jul 2010, 02:26pm
yea. it wne t away for acouple days and today it back like a bitch.

Spiffy
13 Jul 2010, 03:34pm
Put net_graph 5 in console and take a screen shot in game and post it. Preferably from a reg server, try the MONSTER SERVER.

Jager
13 Jul 2010, 03:47pm
are you on wireless or wired internet, and who if anyone shares your connection, you may need to power cycle your router/modem as well but lets get one thing at a time

Labarr
13 Jul 2010, 05:22pm
are you on wireless or wired internet, and who if anyone shares your connection, you may need to power cycle your router/modem as well but lets get one thing at a time

I am wired. And no one is on my network, other than my brother. It is protected... I have reset my modem and I have power cycleed my router laready.. Today my choke was at around 65-90 I'm stumped.. My css settings aren't on high and vsync is off. Any other ideas?

FloydRix
15 Jul 2010, 07:06pm
I am wired. And no one is on my network, other than my brother. It is protected... I have reset my modem and I have power cycleed my router laready.. Today my choke was at around 65-90 I'm stumped.. My css settings aren't on high and vsync is off. Any other ideas?

Create a document called autoexec.cfg and enter

rate "30000
cl_updaterate "67"
cl_cmdrate "67"
cl_lagcomp_errorcheck "0"
cl_lagcompensation "1"
cl_interp "0.0175"
cl_interp_ratio "1"
cl_interp_threadmodeticks "0"
cl_pred_optimize "2"

Put this autoexec.cfg in your Cstrike/Cfg

Labarr
15 Jul 2010, 09:40pm
lerp: 17.5ms why is it so high and why is it orange color..

Labarr
16 Jul 2010, 07:57am
coke is still their and lerp is still there. its really pissing me off now... cant play trikz with this lag :/

FloydRix
16 Jul 2010, 08:42am
Did you try the autoexec.cfg?

Labarr
16 Jul 2010, 09:03am
yup.
still there tho

Wrathek
16 Jul 2010, 09:22am
lerp: 17.5ms why is it so high and why is it orange color..

i'll try reading into it and see what is causing this, but this is certainly your problem. 17.5 bad, white is what you want (10 or so). Its orange because its a warning, that its very bad.

FloydRix
16 Jul 2010, 09:29am
Try reinstalling it.

Wrathek
16 Jul 2010, 10:03am
http://www.cadred.org/News/Article/110798/ this is a good read, an interview of one of the head coders of z-block.

That and some comments he made elsewhere on the site, leads me to believe that a lerp of ~15.2 or so is basically as good as you will get. Having your ticks and configs set to ~66 tick will actually make your game nearly perfect as far as smoothness and hitboxes etc, now that the entire game has been forced to have a constant 66 tick. (even if the server is set to have 100 tick, which is actually not good to do since the update *cough*, you will still be getting 66 tick, if you look at the graphs).

Alot of what seems to cause the choke you're getting is based around your rates and most importantly your interp and ratios.

The consensus seems to be that you should entirely uninstall CSS and delete the directory entirely, let it re-create every file. yes, you read that right. scrap your config files and everything, because there's likely some weird-assed line in your 2000 line config that fucks something up. (Based on this from the link)

Firstly perform a clean install, it should be treated as a new game. Delete your old game directory and Steam will replace it with the new files.

Trash your old config files.

Play around with mat_queue_mode and see which setting gives you the best frame-rate.

As a temporary measure you could try excluding your antivirus program from the games directories, the stats systems perform many disk operations so this might help.

and also, create your autoexec.cfg and place these and only these commands into it:

rate 30000 // More than enough
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_interp 0
cl_smooth 0

and leave EVERY other cvar at default.

this SHOULD solve your problems.

Labarr
16 Jul 2010, 10:20am
ok thanks. ill try this when i get home from work and tell you wat happens

Wrathek
16 Jul 2010, 10:33am
HOLY SHIT. labarr i am SO THANKFUL your issue had me google around. i tried some of the thigns i was telling you as i learned about these new settings, and i finally found out it LITERALLY was not my fault that ive been sucking since the update. my registry really was off!

I've had my lerp at constant 100 because of some setting (i i think it was interp_ratio, tbh.)

anyway, i wiped my configs i placed this into the auto-exec :

rate 30000
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
cl_interp_ratio 0
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_all 0
cl_smooth 0

and that fixed everything.

From what i've read, the color doesn't matter really, except for yellow is bad (but orange and flickering yellow is perfectly fine). All that you need to do is get it as low as possible. (if you do as ive said and wipe your configs and leave shit default, this will guarantee you a constant 10 lerp, and let me tell you, i think the registry might actually be tighter and more accurate than in 1.6).

again, thank you labarr and i hope you get your shit sorted out to!

Also, it seems that source likes to force the defaults back every time you start up the game, so maybe bind an alias, or maybe i just need to check config.cfg for conflicting variables.

Shadowex3
16 Jul 2010, 11:13pm
http://www.cadred.org/News/Article/110798/ this is a good read, an interview of one of the head coders of z-block.

For the record that's about 6 years old and the guys behind Z-block and the like, along with their "fans", are a bunch of fucking morons. Zblock and its ilk are supposedly mere anticheats... but by their own admission they cause severe interference with everything from hit registration through weapon firing all the way to player rendering. Why? The same reason it originally, and probably still does, lock your ability to change settings permanently until you close and reopen the entire program. The same reason it alters things they have no business altering. The same reason everything crazy runs rampant.

Because the best possible way to market your bullshit is by turning it into a religion, and accusing everyone who DOESN'T buy your bullshit of being a dirty pedophile cheater. Suddenly nobody can argue against you, or even agree with you but say there may be room for improvement, without being satan's best friend.

Wrathek
17 Jul 2010, 03:23pm
er.. ok. that's alot more than for the record. and regardless of how old it is, it helped me fix issues that are only weeks at most old.

Labarr
17 Jul 2010, 06:59pm
seems smooth. Lerp is at 15.2.. So far it looks good!!
Thanks!!

Labarr
19 Jul 2010, 10:21am
So yeah... this is wat my net_graph 5 always looks like now :/

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7702/mgratracev40002.jpg

Spiffy
19 Jul 2010, 10:59am
I really think the choke is being cause by your rates. There isn't much else unless your ISP is giving you some trouble. If you could go into one of our servers with an admin and have them type sm_rates in console I would like to see what it says.

Wrathek
19 Jul 2010, 11:04am
labarr, your rates may be resetting. try putting in the aforementioned rates that you put in your autoexec into console manually.

if you notice, the two numbers (on the right) in the middle are down in the 30s when they should be 66 just like the ones on top and bottom, which would certainly cause choke like that if they arent equal.

Spiral
19 Jul 2010, 11:14am
Just use:

rate 50000; cl_cmdrate 66; cl_updaterate 66; cl_interp_ratio 2; cl_interp 0.033; cl_smooth 1

Always gonna have choke on servers like ZE, which have a low sv_maxrate and a ton of players. The MG server has a sv_maxrate of 50000 though so choke isn't nearly as bad.

Spiffy
19 Jul 2010, 11:16am
Just use:

rate 50000; cl_cmdrate 66; cl_updaterate 66; cl_interp_ratio 2; cl_interp 0.033; cl_smooth 1

Always gonna have choke on servers like ZE, which have a low sv_maxrate and a ton of players. The MG server has a sv_maxrate of 50000 though so choke isn't nearly as bad.

What? Why would you want a rate of 50k at 66 tick? and that interp is outrageous.

Spiral
19 Jul 2010, 11:25am
Interp is fine, gives a lerp of 33ms and it's white.

Higher rate is nice and greatly reduces choke on MG, since the maps tend to have alot of moving objects and other stuff going on. Just go on there and see for yourself.

Labarr is using those rates now, and his choke problem is practically gone.

Labarr
19 Jul 2010, 11:45am
problem fixed. thanks Spiral!!

Labarr
19 Jul 2010, 08:14pm
ok not sure if this goes along with the choke, but in every server I have massive lag spikes.. to the point where the I get aout disconnect warning...
wtf><