PDA

View Full Version : Elena Kegan?

/dev/null
29 Jun 2010, 06:43pm
Any thoughts on her? The supreme court? The Constitution?

I don't understand some people in our country. We get angry because Bush supports illegal wiretapping and degrading of our Constitutional rights. Now we have a supreme court nominee who seems to take our rights lightly. Free speech doesn't seem to matter to her. She refused to answer a question about the commerce clause in relation to our liberties. She scares me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoWGlyugTo

SgtJoo
1 Jul 2010, 04:51pm
She's Jewish.

I don't know much about her... but if she's an Obama nominee then I doubt that she's going to 'take our rights lightly'. She probably cares about free speech and liberties, etc.

A WW1 Flying Ace
1 Jul 2010, 06:26pm
i think she got told.

Slavic
2 Jul 2010, 03:08pm
i think she got told.

Congressional hearing for SCOTUS nominees are always a circus. I can never take them serious. If you want to know about the nominee then look up their past rulings and decision makings.

Ridiculous "Got You" questioning will never provide accurate information about the nominee.

Drox
2 Jul 2010, 03:18pm
I saw some clips of her, personally I dont like her but idk much about her as far as her career goes.

Shadowex3
3 Jul 2010, 05:10am
She's Jewish.

I don't know much about her... but if she's an Obama nominee then I doubt that she's going to 'take our rights lightly'. She probably cares about free speech and liberties, etc.

What happened to your burning hatred for liberals and leftists?

SgtJoo
3 Jul 2010, 07:07am
What happened to your burning hatred for liberals and leftists?

Oh I don't hate liberals and leftists, I just hate extremists. :smile:

Did that pithy comment make you feel better? It sure didn't add anything to the discussion.

Shadowex3
3 Jul 2010, 08:18am
I'm sick of you god damn bleeding heart liberals always sticking up for the protesters and ignoring the obvious.

Should we go fire all of them too? Maybe some of you wacko left wingers who protest recruitment sites at colleges could volunteer too and come back in body bags? The world could use less of you.

Funny, you seem to have no problem basing your arguments, all of which are arbitrarily and blindly in support the authority figure, on your burning hatred for the left and propping them up with personal slurs.

Just the sort of thing an extremist would do, don't you think?

SgtJoo
3 Jul 2010, 08:36am
Funny, you seem to have no problem basing your arguments, all of which are arbitrarily and blindly in support the authority figure, on your burning hatred for the left and propping them up with personal slurs.

Just the sort of thing an extremist would do, don't you think?

CLEARLY SIR.

I am an extreme conservative who is pro-abortion, pro-gay rights, anti-Iraq war, and anti-fundamentalist/creationist. You got me.

Shadowex3
3 Jul 2010, 08:40am
Nice try but that really doesn't work so well when you quote my post so people can clearly see all I said was "extremist" and didn't mention any political parties.

Care to keep digging?

PotshotPolka
3 Jul 2010, 09:12am
To rerail this thread: Only in very rare circumstances does a President not get his nomination. I think a nomination has only been rescinded twice, and once was actually a straight up rejection by the committee. It rarely occurs because its just a fight neither party wants to get into because they know what goes around comes around and there's little to gain from antagonizing a President for nominating a justice that supports his policies. Opposition is generally grandstanding but serves the purpose I suppose of informing the public of the justice's views and creating a sense of transparency.

Also her answer to the question was muted because if she agreed beyond "yes the idea of telling people what they can and can't eat is stupid but constitutionality is another issue" then she'd be playing into a slippery slope of "then why do we have to have health insurance, car insurance, welfare etc., and that's not a fight you want to find yourself in on national television.

SgtJoo
3 Jul 2010, 09:59am
Nice try but that really doesn't work so well when you quote my post so people can clearly see all I said was "extremist" and didn't mention any political parties.

Care to keep digging?

ex·trem·ist
1. a person who goes to extremes, esp. in political matters.
2. a supporter or advocate of extreme doctrines or practices.

I'm not an extremist, I'm actually closer to a centrist so nice try. I inferred that you meant conservative considering my earlier remarks. If I'm not a right extremist and I'm not a left *gasp* I might not be one at all.