PDA

View Full Version : Greatest artist ever

EvInReaLife
18 Mar 2008, 01:08pm
What are some of your opinions on the greatest artists ever?

Mine are stuck between either the strokes or the beatles.

Itch
18 Mar 2008, 01:11pm
BOB ROSS

http://www.artloversworkshop.com/images/Bob%20Ross%20at%20His%20Easel%20%20In%20Color.jpg

Wait.. Nevermind.. Your talking about music..

Zero001
18 Mar 2008, 01:25pm
The best based on what? It's really hard to determine something like that, when everyone has something different to offer (skill, talent, entertainment, appeal, ect...). Both of the bands you mentioned are very talented, but I find that they lack in the skills department. There are plenty of musicians that would make them look like amateurs.

Bob Ross' happy trees ftw :)

EDIT: Just to stay on topic, I'll vote for Maná as greatest musicians.

st.carlos
18 Mar 2008, 03:15pm
The best based on what? It's really hard to determine something like that, when everyone has something different to offer (skill, talent, entertainment, appeal, ect...). Both of the bands you mentioned are very talented, but I find that they lack in the skills department. There are plenty of musicians that would make them look like amateurs.

La Ley was also pretty good.

VirDeBello
18 Mar 2008, 03:20pm

True, as for musicians I don't know. I kinda just hear what I download or on the radio. Ima go with King Crimson I guess lol

Jaffa
18 Mar 2008, 05:04pm
Musically i would have to say Led Zeppelin and Queen. Both possess(ed) great individual musicians, and came together brilliant as a set piece. They also covered many ranges of music (Queen especially)

Captain Colon
18 Mar 2008, 06:35pm
I second Queen...a lot of their stuff honestly wasn't that great, but the stuff that was more than made up for it, and if you watch some of their live stuff you can really see what great musicians they were.

Not using it doesn't mean you don't have it.

Zero001
18 Mar 2008, 07:14pm
Not using it doesn't mean you don't have it.

Sorry, but they're just not as skilled as other musicians. That's the beauty of being human. I don't know about you, but I can pick up on someones strengths and weaknesses in areas (including music) just from simple things they do. I think everyone posses that ability and the more specialized you are in an area the easier it is to pick up those signals.

Led Zeppelin would rank in my top ten, Queen in top three. Maná still takes my #1, and if you guys understood Spanish you would probably make the same choice considering you put those two bands so high. Like Queen they cover many ranges of music and Like Led Zeppelin they possess amazing musicians that come together in brilliantly.

raven maniac
18 Mar 2008, 08:24pm
music or not....i still vote bob ross.

matt 187
18 Mar 2008, 08:26pm

haha same

LitKey
18 Mar 2008, 08:49pm

Agreed, awesome guy.. I think he was even a veteran of the Vietnam War. Very good man

Captain Colon
18 Mar 2008, 09:01pm
Sorry, but they're just not as skilled as other musicians. That's the beauty of being human. I don't know about you, but I can pick up on someones strengths and weaknesses in areas (including music) just from simple things they do. I think everyone posses that ability and the more specialized you are in an area the easier it is to pick up those signals.
As a multi-instrumentalist I'd like to think I can tell when someone is "good," but I guess it depends on what you consider skillful. There's plenty of people who can play the guitar really fast but can't bend a note properly to save their life, an there's people who can't even PLAY an instrument that have written some great music thanks to sequencers and composing programs. Then you've got people like Yngwie Malmsteen who is a techinical genius but hasn't written anything interesting in 25 years.

Zero001
18 Mar 2008, 10:33pm
As a multi-instrumentalist I'd like to think I can tell when someone is "good," but I guess it depends on what you consider skillful. There's plenty of people who can play the guitar really fast but can't bend a note properly to save their life, an there's people who can't even PLAY an instrument that have written some great music thanks to sequencers and composing programs. Then you've got people like Yngwie Malmsteen who is a techinical genius but hasn't written anything interesting in 25 years.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to put The Beetles or The Strokes down. I am very familiar with their work (particularly The Beetles) and overall I would still rank The Beetles in my top list. They have skill, but just not as much as some of others including some I would rank lower. We're starting to get lost in the translation of skill. To me a skilled individual/band would have to cover all the bases and add something of their own. I just don't feel like The Beetles or The Strokes added anything new that required true skill and understanding to accomplish.

Captain Colon
18 Mar 2008, 11:08pm
Oh yeah I agree with you there (I actually hate the beatles with a passion), but I don't really consider the actual creation of the music to be so much based on "skill" as it is based on the creativity and vision of the artist. ie. no amount of education or experience can make someone write great music if they don't have great ideas already.

phatman76
18 Mar 2008, 11:57pm
Songwriting and meaningfulness - Bob Dylan and the Band

Technical Excellence - Led Zeppelin

Popularity/ Rabid Fame - Beatles