PDA

View Full Version : The Downfall of RTS?

Bill Smauz
8 Jun 2010, 09:06pm
Ever since the Starcraft 2 Beta came out fans, both of Blizzard and of RTS games, have been psyched. However as the Beta continued fans of the old Starcraft: BroodWar and of Blizzard have created a turmoil amongst the Blizzard community as fans rage on about Battlenet 2.0. Can Starcraft, being one of the best and biggest RTS games of all time, have the potential to fail?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-r_uCaFxg8
Information about BNET 2.0 further explained in this video (Warning: May contain cute kittens).

-Battlenet 2.0 has its pro's and con's but some argue that its con's outweigh its pro's. For example, there is no longer any LAN connection and every connection must be through battlenet. Which means that you will need to buy multiple copies of the game in order to play with your friends. This creates a disturbance amongst old Starcraft fans who argue that LAN was the reason why BroodWar was awesome because of LAN parties, but with Starcraft 2 that is not the case.

-There are currently no Chat Channels and there is no further information that Blizzard will be implementing them. Although Starcraft's Chat channels mostly consisted of spammers, it was a nice way to meet and chat with people about clan's and strategies.

-Game names. In BNET 2.0 all you have to do is select which map you want you play and the game will automatically find a lobby of the map you want to play. Now this is something I actually like, it was annoying to not be able to play the maps you wanted to before in Starcraft but it also has its negatives. For example, if you wanted to play the map a certain way (example which is used is a No Rush game) then you can't say in your game title that you want no rushing.

-Activision being part of Blizzard's team. I recently just learned that Activision is mutually working with Blizzard on Starcraft 2 which sets some Blizzard fans in paranoia and anger. This is because they believe that Activision will ruin Starcraft's franchise by only caring about the money the game produces rather than the quality. Blizzard's reputation with its fans have been well noted because of how long BroodWar survived and members are afraid that Activison will ruin Blizzard's reputation.

Well these are just some of the reasons why Blizzard fans are raging right now. Please feel free to discuss. Make sure to watch the video.

iNorris
8 Jun 2010, 09:12pm
Um...I think I'll stick to Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. I can see why some of the old-timers are a bit razzled, what with Battlenet stuff and the chat issue, though.

An_Orange
8 Jun 2010, 09:35pm
Don't understand the fun of RTS but a lot of people are raving about Star Craft 2 especially Asians -_-

Delirium
8 Jun 2010, 09:54pm
You have to understand that the RTS game type isn't restricted to SC and SC2, While they may be the powerhouses there is still some other gems that will keep this Genre living.

The Baltimore Ravens
8 Jun 2010, 10:23pm
You have to understand that the RTS game type isn't restricted to SC and SC2, While they may be the powerhouses there is still some other gems that will keep this Genre living.

Yeah let us not forget all 245 WW2 RTS the best being CoH

Bill Smauz
8 Jun 2010, 10:36pm
The thing is that Blizzard has shown its reputation to supporting their games for fans, just look at Starcraft and its 12 years of continued popularity. Starcraft probably holds a significant fanbase of RTS players, that doesn't mean that other RTS are bad compared to Starcraft. I use to play Command & Conquer but EA stopped supporting most of its good games in the franchise unlike Blizzard who continue to support their games and fans. Imagine if Counter-Strike failed then what would we play for our FPS? MW2, that would be a death sentence. But Battlefield would be a good alternative. Starcraft has been enjoyed by many RTS fans and by casual gamers alike. As many people say that Starcraft is an easy game to learn but a hard game to master it gives players incentive to continue playing

Dracula
9 Jun 2010, 05:55am
Yeah let us not forget all 245 WW2 RTS the best being CoH

First I gotta address this, YOU ARE FUNNY.

Anyways, this little bit of fuss wont do much, mabey Blizzard will change it. But in no way could this be the fall of RTS's.

rokart
9 Jun 2010, 09:48am
downfall of RTS? no.
I play CoH more than the Starcraft II beta

Lux
9 Jun 2010, 09:57am
I never played Starcraft until this recent Beta....and I doubt that I'll even buy it as I don't think I like it.

There are many RTS games out there that are great..

Age of Empires
Company of Heroes
Warcraft
Total War......
Hearts of Iron :tape:

If Starcraft 2 fails.....many RTS gamers won't care.

Red
9 Jun 2010, 10:01am
When StarCraft 2 comes out it will destroy other games for at least a couple months no matter what the negative press during Beta is. It will doubtless have a strong player base for time to come.

The Baltimore Ravens
9 Jun 2010, 10:06am
First I gotta address this, YOU ARE FUNNY.

Anyways, this little bit of fuss wont do much, mabey Blizzard will change it. But in no way could this be the fall of RTS's.

thank you :bigsmile:

rokart
9 Jun 2010, 02:48pm
There are many RTS games out there that are great..

Age of Empires
Company of Heroes
Warcraft
Total War......
Hearts of Iron :tape:

You forgot sins of a solar empire :P

Drox
9 Jun 2010, 02:50pm
Like some have already said, I dont see this being the fall of RTS's, if anything just the fall of SC.

Lux
9 Jun 2010, 03:16pm
You forgot sins of a solar empire :P

Never heard of it.

I will add Knights of Honor though.....that is game I wish I never sold it's a classic.

The Baltimore Ravens
9 Jun 2010, 03:23pm
dont for get EMPIRE total war :D

Lux
9 Jun 2010, 03:40pm
dont for get EMPIRE total war :D

Well I did say "Total War" :clap:

Although Empires is the worst :rant:

SgtJoo
9 Jun 2010, 03:57pm
Never heard of it.

I will add Knights of Honor though.....that is game I wish I never sold it's a classic.

Really? Sins of a Solar Empire is funsies, you should try it sometime.

Dracula
9 Jun 2010, 04:04pm
Really? Sins of a Solar Empire is funsies, you should try it sometime.

Theres wayy to much micro and rushing in that for him, he wont like it.

Lux
9 Jun 2010, 05:32pm

Yeah.

I'm good at most aspects of RTS's......in a game like Hearts of Iron I can do well....but I'm just not the greatest when it comes to micro.

I was pretty good at Age of Empires in terms of micro.....but then I had many years to perfect it. These days I'm too lazy/not enough practice.

rokart
10 Jun 2010, 10:00am

too much micro? u only need to micro ur capital ships usually, and i dont think there's much rushing in sins, there's early skirmishes during the expansion phase but u shouldnt have too much problem with that.

ckw
10 Jun 2010, 10:49am
I just started with RTS after a long periode of pause, its so damn fun:) and a good fall back game