PDA

View Full Version : Hearts Of iron 3 Players

Dracula
30 May 2010, 02:44pm
Wonderin if anyone on here besides me activily plays this. If you do post here and I will give you the GR vent info to come play with me and others. Also, a LEGAL coppy of the game is needed.

For those who want to play a game there are three things I need you to do.

1.Make sure your ports are forwarded ect.
2.Learn to play at least the basics of the game or whatever country you choose to play.
3. Give me some kind of an idea of when your going to be on ect.

Make an account here to setup Multiplayer you will need to register your game ect: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/mygames.php?

Nation Signups start now:
Dracula: Germany
Polka: Italy
Ultra: Japan
Jaffa: (England when he can)
Havok: France

Large Countrys That Still Need Players:
USA
Canada
Russia

Few Quick Things To Keep The Game From Being Retarded:

1.Germany can not invade any countrys before 1939 (the events to annex countrys do not count in this).
2.France, Russia, Poland, England, and USA can not declare war on Germany unless Germany is for some reason not declaring on them. (Stops the fucking French/Pole rushes.)
3.No un-normal pacts (forever lasting Ribben Trop pact).

These are just to keep the game from being bat shit retarded and to help those who may not know of how to deal with it.

First Game:
Tommorow 5:30 est. (June 5 2010).

Lux
30 May 2010, 03:02pm
This shit is hard core.

Downloaded....installed....turned on.....played for 5 minutes...uninstalled.

Probably not a bad game, but the learning curve makes games like HoN look like Pacman.

Dracula
30 May 2010, 03:24pm
This shit is hard core.

Downloaded....installed....turned on.....played for 5 minutes...uninstalled.

Probably not a bad game, but the learning curve makes games like HoN look like Pacman.

<3 Paradox Interactive.

Kennith
30 May 2010, 04:31pm
I played it often back then, but got bored of it after playing it so much. It's a good game.

Chobber
30 May 2010, 04:47pm
I have it installed .. Read the quickstart manual (as the "real" manual is what 200 pages!?) .. Couldn't get a hold of it..

I literally was LOST in what to do.. Would love to do a 101 on it sometime to learn it! It seems epic!!

Oh and its completely legit!

Jaffa
31 May 2010, 04:54am
Great game, really like the new command structure they put in hoi3.

Am playing Eu3 (up to In Nomine) again atm though (go go Palatinate!! one core off forming Germany)

PotshotPolka
31 May 2010, 03:21pm
Just bought it, I had torrented a copy but it was laggy since I couldn't patch and I want to play MP. If anybody wants to try and actually play through a campaign this summer I'm down.

Chobber
31 May 2010, 03:27pm
If anyone wants to teach me how to play this shiet, Im game! :p

SgtJoo
31 May 2010, 03:30pm
If anyone wants to teach me how to play this shiet, Im game! :p

This.

Dracula
31 May 2010, 03:41pm

2.Learn to play at least the basics of the game or whatever country you choose to play.

I of course am taking Germany.

This may help some: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424979

(Note you need an account)

PotshotPolka
31 May 2010, 04:35pm

Woah wait, you want to do a full game with live players on all sides? If so I call dibs on Россия!

Also, tell me, can the game be paused/saved so we can all go offline and continue later?

Available times: Anything but 3am-3pm EST.

Dracula
31 May 2010, 04:37pm
Woah wait, you want to do a full game with live players on all sides? If so I call dibs on Россия!

Also, tell me, can the game be paused/saved so we can all go offline and continue later?

Available times: Anything but 3am-3pm EST.

Yes i do and yes it can be.

Lux
31 May 2010, 06:08pm

Er....Even though it looks quite tough it looks like some non retarded people are going to be playing so I'm sure you guys can help me pick it up.....might just be fun.

Country wise....obviously would rather start off with a small nation which is easier to manage.....where I've got an experienced ally.

Available times.....9am-3am GMT......obviously not all day everyday though. Going to check out some guides....might buy it by the end of the week?

EDIT: Lame....gotta buy the game to read the guides.....

Dracula
31 May 2010, 07:55pm
Er....Even though it looks quite tough it looks like some non retarded people are going to be playing so I'm sure you guys can help me pick it up.....might just be fun.

Country wise....obviously would rather start off with a small nation which is easier to manage.....where I've got an experienced ally.

Available times.....9am-3am GMT......obviously not all day everyday though. Going to check out some guides....might buy it by the end of the week?

EDIT: Lame....gotta buy the game to read the guides.....

Small nations are NOT the way to go for new players.

Ultramarine
31 May 2010, 08:06pm
im in, will need to buy it tmw, played the hell out of HoI2, only played HoI3 a bit but stopped cause few people i knew had it.

Who to be tho... I'll take Japan i guess.

PotshotPolka
31 May 2010, 09:34pm
Before any even thinks about MP, try SP first until you have a real handle on things. Otherwise you might find yourself causing your own team and yourself a lot of grief.

Ultramarine
31 May 2010, 10:12pm
Before any even thinks about MP, try SP first until you have a real handle on things. Otherwise you might find yourself causing your own team and yourself a lot of grief.

I'll be causing you alot of grief sir. BANZAI, CHARGE THE RUSSIANS.

So we have 3 confirmed players so far?

Jaffa
1 Jun 2010, 01:44am
If you are trying to learn the game, try and read some of the country walkthroughs here: http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Main_Page

and follow them ingame. Best country to learn the game as is Germany. To learn military, pick germany in 39 scenario (the one where you start with invading Poland), for the other stuff do Germany in 36

EDIT posted wrong wiki link

Lux
1 Jun 2010, 06:21am
Small nations are NOT the way to go for new players.

Why not?

Would've thought less to do would be easier.

Jaffa
1 Jun 2010, 06:28am
With the smaller nations you have to work a lot harder to build up, and get much less to do. HOI is all about war, everything else is just on the side, so the better/bigger/developed the nation, the more you get to do, and the easier it is to do it.

Lux
1 Jun 2010, 06:50am
With the smaller nations you have to work a lot harder to build up, and get much less to do. HOI is all about war, everything else is just on the side, so the better/bigger/developed the nation, the more you get to do, and the easier it is to do it.

I'd agree if this game wasn't allianced based.....but I'm guessing that it is..and so the less I have to do....the more I can focus on just doing that. If you're new, you don't want to have 100 things on your plate..whilst being attacked by 3 different people.

I was thinking about having a support role......:oh:...but I'll try the game out in SP and see how I feel about it after..

Jaffa
1 Jun 2010, 07:10am
You can also set some of the things to auto-manage on the start select screen. I'd recommend doing the 39 scen as Germany, but turning most of the stuff bar military (and maybe production) over to AI-controlled.

The best thing about the game, and other paradox games, is that they are very indepth, with a lot to do. Its unfortunate the learning curve is so steep, but it well worth it once you learn the game. If you like HOI3, have a look at EU3 as well (even steeper learning curve, but just as rewarding, although its not as military indepth as HOI3)

Dracula
1 Jun 2010, 07:31am
Yay, I can has helpers in my threads :D

Jaffa
1 Jun 2010, 09:20am
I would sign up, but being a UK player, and with odd availability times (especially over summer), I can't really commit to a game (i also know how long games can take!). I could probably be down as a possible sub, or to play pick-up.

PotshotPolka
1 Jun 2010, 12:15pm
I'll be causing you alot of grief sir. BANZAI, CHARGE THE RUSSIANS.

If I actually commit units to Manchuria and Vladivostok your ass gets put through the grinder, especially if the Kuomintang decides to join the Comintern.

Ultramarine
1 Jun 2010, 01:59pm
If I actually commit units to Manchuria and Vladivostok your ass gets put through the grinder, especially if the Kuomintang decides to join the Comintern.

o shi

Jaffa
2 Jun 2010, 05:37am
If anyone is still struggling to learn the game, let me know and i can put together some ss with explanation. One thing to remember is that you won't learn everything the first few times around, just aim for the basics then learn and add more as you go along

Dracula
2 Jun 2010, 06:19am
First post updated.

Also for those who are new to the game I would reccomend an allied nation because they are way more forgiving than Italy and Japan.

Jaffa
2 Jun 2010, 07:40am
Agree with the house rules on OP, this is WW2 dammit!

PotshotPolka
2 Jun 2010, 08:00am
Yeah, Italy is a bitch to get going with.

Also Drac, add the other potential countries that we should have people play as like:
France
Italy
USA
Canada (It isn't quite that weak)

Chobber
2 Jun 2010, 08:09am
If anyone is still struggling to learn the game, let me know and i can put together some ss with explanation. One thing to remember is that you won't learn everything the first few times around, just aim for the basics then learn and add more as you go along

Would love that!

Jaffa
2 Jun 2010, 08:23am
Yeah, Italy is a bitch to get going with.

Also Drac, add the other potential countries that we should have people play as like:
France
Italy
USA
Canada (It isn't quite that weak)

Romania (or bulgaria, one of the two) are intresting to play as with a strong german player. Just had a look over UK ingame at 36 to see what they are like (not played as them in 36 scen before) and its quite lols trying to reorganise like 6-7 theatre forces.

With regards to ss explanations, is here anything in particular people want to hear about?

PotshotPolka
2 Jun 2010, 08:30am
Romania (or bulgaria, one of the two) are intresting to play as with a strong german player. Just had a look over UK ingame at 36 to see what they are like (not played as them in 36 scen before) and its quite lols trying to reorganise like 6-7 theatre forces.

With regards to ss explanations, is here anything in particular people want to hear about?

Actually you're right, Romania has a relatively large military (but when when I invaded it they were basically all infantry and crumpled but that was probably the AIs fault for mismanaging itself. I think AndreiD WOULD LOVE to be it seeing as how he says he'll buy it.

I'd like to know also the importance of HQ units. Should I purge some and reorganize my armies and keep their HQ units close to them?

Chobber
2 Jun 2010, 08:33am

Well, I believe I have got the hang of the screens, the basics like research, production and similiar..

I know how to select troops and move them to another location, and I believe it is the same way to attack.. So I have the general idea of the game.. But I am not that wise when it comes to getting resources, trading, transporting or whatever all of that is called.. So in general, I know the above listed things, and nothing else xD

Also, HQ units and shit like that - I am clueless!

Ultramarine
2 Jun 2010, 08:40am
Actually you're right, Romania has a relatively large military (but when when I invaded it they were basically all infantry and crumpled but that was probably the AIs fault for mismanaging itself. I think AndreiD WOULD LOVE to be it seeing as how he says he'll buy it.

I'd like to know also the importance of HQ units. Should I purge some and reorganize my armies and keep their HQ units close to them?

I think HQ units give bonuses to Armies they are attached to, such as increased morale and organization.

Simply put, Army Morale reaches low levels, Army Retreats.

Army organization reaches low levels, Army Retreats or Attack is stopped.

From what i remember, in HoI2, a Field Marshal can command 12 divisions, so a good strat was to have 1 HQ division and 11 other divisions (Mix of Armor / Infantry with different brigade add-ons, like Engineers, Anti Air brigades, Anti tank brigades, Heavy Armor brigades, etc).

Jaffa
2 Jun 2010, 09:02am
Before i forget, i posted the wrong wiki site for hoi3, this one is much better: http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Main_Page

In HOI3 the command structure is really important (and different from hoi2). HQ units are automatically created when you create a division (although the division hq is not represented on the map as the division is the base unit in the game), a corps, an army and an army group. There will also be a hq unit for the theatre, but theatres are only created by the ai for you when one is needed (plus their range is huge anyway).

The command ranges for each level of hq is:

Corps: 100 km
Army: 200 km
Army Group: 300 km
Theatre: 1000 km

When i play germany, my basic structure is 4 divisions to a corps, 4 corps to an army, etc. Aim to have the divisions in each corps as your frontline, with corps hq 1-2 territories behind, army hq 4-5 (i usually stack army group hqs on my army hqs for ease of movement).

Its all explained a lot better here:http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi3wiki/Command_organization_strategy ,although you probably will have to play a little to make sense of it for yourself.

My main advice though is to sort your units into a structure you are satisfied with, that you can work within. Having hq units with no units beneath them are waste, and you can delete them (as hq units are free to create IC-wise anyway).

Another thing is to get used to having the ai controlling some of your army (for any level you are comfortable with below theatre, don't have ai controlling theatre level as it doesn't do it very well). This saves a lot of micro management, and the ai is pretty good at managing forces given to it (although giving it naval forces isn't advisible)

Ultramarine
2 Jun 2010, 09:08am
Damn, definitely different from HoI2... Will have to play a bit later today

Lux
2 Jun 2010, 10:11am
Just dling free copy so I can get to grips with it first......I can just patch to 1.4 straight away can I not?

Jaffa
2 Jun 2010, 10:49am
I've got mine through steam

Oh and here is some stuff i put together:

http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=434504#post434504

Lux
2 Jun 2010, 10:58am
I've got mine through steam

£24 on steam, £14 on Amazon. :confused:

PotshotPolka
2 Jun 2010, 01:27pm
£24 on steam, £14 on Amazon. :confused:

Yeah I got pissed at Andrei when he found it on a Romanian site for 7 euro.

Lux
2 Jun 2010, 04:52pm
Yeah I got pissed at Andrei when he found it on a Romanian site for 7 euro.

Dam gypsies and their low profit margins

Lux
3 Jun 2010, 03:42pm
Just got done with the tutorial (I was away for about 1.5 hours if you're wondering why it took hours to finish it Drac/Potshot).....made a lot of sense...although there are (obviously) a few things I'm still not sure about.

Dracula
4 Jun 2010, 07:37am
Looking At Play Times For Saturday (Tommorow):

So I figure most people are gunna be on (being a Saturday) so i need to know when people are gunna be up to play (in EST plox).

Otherwise im going to fall back on the standard of anytime from 4 and up.

Jaffa
4 Jun 2010, 07:46am
07:00-11:00 (24-hour)

I'm out for most of the day (and evening)

Lux
4 Jun 2010, 08:49am
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TDKIZO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1ECXX6Z1RDAFZX56K27D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Lol HOI3 just dropped to £9.

I've got to buy it and it'll take some days to arrive....(fuck buying it on Steam and paying so much more)......

Playing time wise......As I said I'm not going to guarantee any specific hours of my life for the next few weeks.....but I can play any time between 10am-3am...dependant on other things.

Ultramarine
4 Jun 2010, 09:36am
Looking At Play Times For Saturday (Tommorow):

So I figure most people are gunna be on (being a Saturday) so i need to know when people are gunna be up to play (in EST plox).

Otherwise im going to fall back on the standard of anytime from 4 and up.

im free whenever, just set the time in stone so ill know how much free time i got for dirt biking tmw.

Jaffa
4 Jun 2010, 09:42am
As I said before, I can't commit easily, as I have a lot going on. Generally I can do Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, until 2am UK time for all except Friday, where I don't care about sleeping too much

There are exceptions, as I said before, don't let my lack of availability get in the way of you guys playing, i'll jump in whenever I can.

PotshotPolka
4 Jun 2010, 10:37am
Anytime.

Lux
4 Jun 2010, 03:24pm
........I was Nationalist China and I was basically anticipating that Japan would attack (the Marco Polo Bridge incident......)...but 6 months past the date the event is meant to happen....nothing has happened.

.....All I was doing was watching my resources amass....as it's pretty hard to initiate war..

PotshotPolka
4 Jun 2010, 04:07pm
........I was Nationalist China and I was basically anticipating that Japan would attack (the Marco Polo Bridge incident......)...but 6 months past the date the event is meant to happen....nothing has happened.

.....All I was doing was watching my resources amass....as it's pretty hard to initiate war..

You wait till 1939 as most factions.

Jaffa
4 Jun 2010, 04:14pm
Lower your neutrality if you want to declare war yourself

If the event didn't fire, try reloading an autosave from before the event date and run from there, see if it happens

Lux
4 Jun 2010, 04:32pm

I think what's actually happened is that the "special" kid from Jaffa's wiki has said that it should be in early January 1937 when it's meant to be July (which is just after the date I'm on now..)

But if it's 1939....fuck me.

Lower your neutrality if you want to declare war yourself

Tried doing that with my spies.....wouldn't say I'm an expert on it at all.

Ultramarine
4 Jun 2010, 06:54pm

The war between japan and china started in 1937

PotshotPolka
4 Jun 2010, 07:06pm
The war between japan and china started in 1937

I said most.

Lux
4 Jun 2010, 07:15pm
Hmm..I get a feeling that the guy who wrote this strat for Nationalist China is a bit of a cunt.

Allowing Shanxi to be annexed completely backfired on me....all of their troops roflstomped me.

I'm not even sure what was going on because units were flying all over the place (despite my organisation at the start..)..and some how my armies were disappearing in battles where they were at times over 3 times the superior in numbers........I don't think I won a single battle (I basically saw at least 200 losses.....).

I still had some armies that were fighting...but if it wasn't for my southern allies charging in to the rescue I probably would've just lost entirely.......never going to know though as the game crashed (this time it wasn't a blue screen but it has been twice today..) for the 4th time. Saved a few months ago but..think I'll just skip it.

Other than the military aspect I was doing fine though....I was doing so well with resources that I was wondering why I couldn't translate this into military wins.....I guess it's not as simple as other RTS's where resources = units....I've got tons of everything and it doesn't really do anything in terms of getting me more units...they still take months at least.

I guess I'll know for sure if it was because I was Nationalist China or because I just sucked when I try out a better nation and see what happens.....

Dracula
4 Jun 2010, 07:22pm
Hmm..I get a feeling that the guy who wrote this strat for Nationalist China is a bit of a cunt.

Allowing Shanxi to be annexed completely backfired on me....all of their troops roflstomped me.

I'm not even sure what was going on because units were flying all over the place (despite my organisation at the start..)..and some how my armies were disappearing in battles where they were at times over 3 times the superior in numbers........I don't think I won a single battle (I basically saw at least 200 losses.....).

I still had some armies that were fighting...but if it wasn't for my southern allies charging in to the rescue I probably would've just lost entirely.......never going to know though as the game crashed (this time it wasn't a blue screen but it has been twice today..) for the 4th time. Saved a few months ago but..think I'll just skip it.

Other than the military aspect I was doing fine though....I was doing so well with resources that I was wondering why I couldn't translate this into military wins.....I guess it's not as simple as other RTS's where resources = units....I've got tons of everything and it doesn't really do anything in terms of getting me more units...they still take months at least.

I guess I'll know for sure if it was because I was Nationalist China or because I just sucked when I try out a better nation and see what happens.....

Thats why Japan>China

PotshotPolka
4 Jun 2010, 07:25pm
Units that are surrounded, have low organization and supplies etc. that are between badly and repeatedly often surrender. Chances are the Japanese are teched higher so their infantry units are simply better trained and equipped and managed to overwhelm yours.

Lux
4 Jun 2010, 07:37pm
Thats why Japan>China

Luxembourg > Germany

Units that are surrounded, have low organization and supplies etc. that are between badly and repeatedly often surrender. Chances are the Japanese are teched higher so their infantry units are simply better trained and equipped and managed to overwhelm yours.

Probably. I did notice at the start before any conflict that some units were struggling with supplies......which was weird as they were connected to my land.

Organisation wise it's hard for me to know....I know that I had a low officer ratio though.

:sad:

Jaffa
4 Jun 2010, 08:05pm
It takes a few goes to fully understand it all. Try out Germany, its actually a pretty simple country to play as especially if you start from 36 (make sure to check out and try and complete the events, such as occupying the rhineland).

Don't follow a guide for it either, just do what you want to, then search or ask about things you want to know how to do.

Dracula
4 Jun 2010, 08:09pm
Yawn ok, heres the time.

5:30 EST Tommorow, be there or your a gay.

Also a small note, potshot has decided to swap to Italy so Russia is now open.

PotshotPolka
4 Jun 2010, 08:29pm
Yawn ok, heres the time.

I thought I was going to be Ethiopia?

Ultramarine
4 Jun 2010, 09:58pm
Yawn ok, heres the time.

Woo... No more Commie breathing down my neck.

Jaffa
5 Jun 2010, 04:40am
So is that 9.30pm Uk time on sunday? Or did drac post this yesterday, so its 9.30pm UK time Saturday?

Farmer Mick
5 Jun 2010, 04:48am
i might get this game im not sure yet

EDIT: failed

Dracula
5 Jun 2010, 06:35am
So is that 9.30pm Uk time on sunday? Or did drac post this yesterday, so its 9.30pm UK time Saturday?

Saturday (Today)

Jaffa
5 Jun 2010, 07:10am
Ah, I'm out tonight, if anyone wants to play as UK they are more than welcome to

Lux
5 Jun 2010, 08:35am
Yeah even if I had the game I'm usually out Saturday night.........

The game should arrive for me by next Friday at the latest....hopefully Wednesday though.

Ultramarine
5 Jun 2010, 11:15am
4 more hours to go.

Edit: 50 minutes.

Edit2: 22 mins

Dracula
5 Jun 2010, 03:26pm
Ye so imma need u faggots on vent.

Ultramarine
5 Jun 2010, 03:34pm
Ye so imma need u faggots on vent.

Fuck vent, im deaf.

Dracula
5 Jun 2010, 03:36pm
Well unless youve got one of us on steam idk.

Ultramarine
5 Jun 2010, 03:38pm
Well unless youve got one of us on steam idk.

i got pot on my steam list

PotshotPolka
5 Jun 2010, 09:27pm
No game tomorrow.

Had a glitch that Germany declared war on all of the Axis after Italy declared war on Yugoslavia, so the game was reloaded at May (from June).

Progress Report:
Small deviances from history:

Japan is held on the Beijing front from various Chinese forces, no real advances.
Italy annexes Ethiopia and Yugoslavia (with ease)
Republican Spain defeats Nationalist Spain.

Current players:
UK: Lux (Jaffa maybe, Lux may not be available)
USA: Andrei
Germany: Dracula
Japan: Ultramarine
Italy: PotshotPolka
PM me times you'll be able to play guys.

Jaffa
6 Jun 2010, 04:11am
Had a glitch that Germany declared war on all of the Axis after Italy declared war on Yugoslavia, so the game was reloaded at May (from June).

Was this an automatic thing?

I can play Mon-Wed and Fri next week

AndreiD
6 Jun 2010, 05:29am
If you fuckers won't let me play Romania, I can play USA or the USSR.

Lux
6 Jun 2010, 05:38am
Was this an automatic thing?

I can play Mon-Wed and Fri next week

Yeah Germany had a guarantee for Yugoslavia and it made them declare war on all of Axis and themselves......(so yeah..Germany declared war on Germany..lol).

Potshot I'm not playing today as I have to revise for an exam tomorrow...but I can play tomorrow evening.

Also not going to be able to play on Wednesday night, although other then that (and Saturday's generally) I'm pretty much available until the 20th.

PotshotPolka
6 Jun 2010, 09:37am
Okay, Monday is tentative, everyone PM me your times if you're going to make it please. (Preferable starting time is 4-6pm EST to accommodate the British guys (Andrei doesn't fucking matter, he never sleeps).

Jaffa
6 Jun 2010, 12:15pm
How long do you plan on each session being?

Bad Dog
6 Jun 2010, 12:23pm
Yo I got the game and am trying to learn but like you all said the learning curve is, well its not even steep its just a brick wall. So im rereading the tutorial pages like its my job but if you guys have some easier methods of learning the game I'd appreciate if you could pass em my way, thanks.

Jaffa
6 Jun 2010, 12:46pm
Play as germany in campaign to learn quickest

Ultramarine
6 Jun 2010, 12:56pm
How long do you plan on each session being?

Hmm... We started yesterday around 6pm EST... we played until 10:30pm EST or so.. Probably would have played longer if we didnt run into that glitch.

Lux
6 Jun 2010, 01:02pm
Yo I got the game and am trying to learn but like you all said the learning curve is, well its not even steep its just a brick wall. So im rereading the tutorial pages like its my job but if you guys have some easier methods of learning the game I'd appreciate if you could pass em my way, thanks.

I think the tutorials are pretty good at explaining everything but the military.

For that...Jaffa did help explain to me the whole HQ command structure and how to utilise it...

Still not particularly sure about the mechanics of battle though.

Ultramarine
6 Jun 2010, 01:46pm
I think the tutorials are pretty good at explaining everything but the military.

For that...Jaffa did help explain to me the whole HQ command structure and how to utilise it...

Still not particularly sure about the mechanics of battle though.

Terrain plays a big part in how battles can go. When fighting in mountains and hills, Mountain Infantry Divisions will perform the best. When performing Naval landings or offenses that cross a river, Marines will perform the best.

Tanks perform poorly in Jungles and Woods.

There are terrains that assist the Defender greatly, like Cities (Urban Terrains), Hills, Mountains and Rivers.

Lux
6 Jun 2010, 02:11pm
Terrain plays a big part in how battles can go. When fighting in mountains and hills, Mountain Infantry Divisions will perform the best. When performing Naval landings or offenses that cross a river, Marines will perform the best.

Tanks perform poorly in Jungles and Woods.

There are terrains that assist the Defender greatly, like Cities (Urban Terrains), Hills, Mountains and Rivers.

The thing about some of the wars I've been in is that you have so much going on that it's hard to know where the hell units are.

All I really get out of it is how many men each side has......I find it hard to know what the other factors are.

PotshotPolka
6 Jun 2010, 02:12pm
Btw, we found a work around for the "Yugoslavia" glitch. If Germany declares a limited war first it allows Axis members to declare war on Yugoslavia without fighting Germany, even though it still says Germany guarantees Yugoslavia's independence.

Word of advice, you cannot un-guarantee a country, so don't do it if you think you may go to war with them.

Ultramarine
6 Jun 2010, 02:35pm
The thing about some of the wars I've been in is that you have so much going on that it's hard to know where the hell units are.

All I really get out of it is how many men each side has......I find it hard to know what the other factors are.

Near the bottom right, you have a mini map, above the map, there are options for map view, one of the is terrain view. This is an easy way to see the different terrains you will have on the front you will be fighting on.

Lux
6 Jun 2010, 03:15pm
Near the bottom right, you have a mini map, above the map, there are options for map view, one of the is terrain view. This is an easy way to see the different terrains you will have on the front you will be fighting on.

Ok, although that's just one thing.

I meant stuff like organisation.

Jaffa
6 Jun 2010, 04:11pm
You can edit the game file to remove unwanted things like gurantees.

PotshotPolka
6 Jun 2010, 04:41pm
You can edit the game file to remove unwanted things like gurantees.

Just open it with text and edit the parameter?

Bad Dog
6 Jun 2010, 05:24pm
Any idea when the next game will start? I could use a deadline for when I need to know the ins and outs

PotshotPolka
6 Jun 2010, 05:46pm
Any idea when the next game will start? I could use a deadline for when I need to know the ins and outs

How ever long it takes me to invade the US, so we're looking at about a week.

Bad Dog
6 Jun 2010, 06:01pm
How ever long it takes me to invade the US, so we're looking at about a week.

o.O Ok, well...gl with that shit then. haha

Dracula
6 Jun 2010, 06:39pm

You could pop in on monday, but were already into the game so ya.

Bad Dog
6 Jun 2010, 07:23pm
You could pop in on monday, but were already into the game so ya.

Maybe, but i have finals until tuesday so it might be hard to find the time.

Jaffa
6 Jun 2010, 07:28pm
Just open it with text and edit the parameter?

I'll have a look tomorrow to see, good place for info about multiplayer is on the official forums (paradox), so i'll check there

Metal
6 Jun 2010, 07:31pm
downloading now, but god ultra why.......just why...

PotshotPolka
6 Jun 2010, 08:01pm

Apparently Japan isn't all its cracked up to be in his experience :rlol:

Ultramarine
6 Jun 2010, 08:02pm

Hey, you want Japan, you can take it. Ill grab Brazil or Argentina

An_Orange
6 Jun 2010, 08:07pm
Seems to Complicated :[ tried it but it didn't work out

Metal
6 Jun 2010, 08:41pm
I'll take canada.
oncce i get the game running

Ultramarine
6 Jun 2010, 08:52pm
Seems to Complicated :[ tried it but it didn't work out

Hmm... we can set a game up early tmw, practice game, for those who require help... say me and potshot (If he is available) can teach.

PotshotPolka
6 Jun 2010, 09:46pm
Game restarts 4:30EST tomorrow I guess, be there or don't be there.

Bad Dog
6 Jun 2010, 09:50pm

I think i might be able to make it, not sure how much Ill be able to play, or if I will be ready. Ill probably just wait till the next game lol.

Metal
6 Jun 2010, 09:59pm
I think i might be able to make it, not sure how much Ill be able to play, or if I will be ready. Ill probably just wait till the next game lol.

same, might fk around with the game and get use to it

Lux
7 Jun 2010, 11:21am

That is 9:30 pm GMT yes???

I'm going out for about 1/2 hours so I should be back with some time to spare.

Farmer Mick
7 Jun 2010, 12:11pm
i got the game on order

PotshotPolka
7 Jun 2010, 06:19pm
Game progress:

Italy has annexed Albania, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria.
Romania was turned into a puppet state by Hungary (Axis)
Germany has annexed Poland, is fighting against all other non-Axis Europeans countries besides Switzerland and Republican Spain
Italy has nearly defeated Greece.
Soviet Union has annexed Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia and part of Poland.
Fighting in Ethiopia and North Africa between Italy and UK.

PM me times you call can play.

Game restarts 4:00EST tomorrow

Bad Dog
7 Jun 2010, 06:35pm
Game restarts 4:00EST tomorrow

Restarts as in you will pick it up from todays game or a brand new game?

Lux
7 Jun 2010, 06:50pm
Restarts as in you will pick it up from todays game or a brand new game?

Carry it on, although new people can jump in.

PotshotPolka
7 Jun 2010, 07:36pm
Carry it on, although new people can jump in.

France could probably use somebody in a month or two :P

Ultramarine
7 Jun 2010, 08:11pm
France could probably use somebody in a month or two :P

That's like asking someone to commit suicide...

AndreiD
7 Jun 2010, 08:17pm
No, I'm going to move my plump american soldiers there.

Jaffa
8 Jun 2010, 02:49am
Thats 9pm GMT isn't it?

Soviet Union hopes to build on its base of 800 infantry brigades, only took the whole of last session to get it semi-organised!

Bad Dog
8 Jun 2010, 01:06pm
That's like asking someone to commit suicide...

I'LL TAKE THE JOB.

Ultramarine
8 Jun 2010, 01:15pm
I'LL TAKE THE JOB.

lmao...

Anyways, i won't be able to play on friday, sat, and sunday this week... I've got MSF classes those days.

Lux
8 Jun 2010, 02:04pm
lmao...

Anyways, i won't be able to play on friday, sat, and sunday this week... I've got MSF classes those days.

Herp, where you at?

Ultramarine
8 Jun 2010, 02:16pm
Herp, where you at?

Mass. currently, taking the classes in New Hampshire.

PotshotPolka
8 Jun 2010, 09:18pm
So new updates:

Italy annexed Greece, is currently occupying most of North Africa and Iraq.
Germany annexed Switzerland, is occupying Denmark, part of Sweden.
Soviet Union has annexed Finland.
United States is occupying Portugal.
Axis forces have broken most Allied forces in France (All of Low Countries occupied, Axis hold all areas besides the western seaboard, pockets to the north, specifically Cherbourg with half a million troops fighting, and Paris, which is surrounded with another half a million troops fighting.

Game restarts Thursday the 8th at 5:30pm EST, agreed?

Jaffa
9 Jun 2010, 02:26am
Can't make thursday, but rest of weekend isn't really possible for me either (gotta be up 5am on saturday, makes late night on friday not ideal)

Lux
9 Jun 2010, 09:52am
Can't make thursday, but rest of weekend isn't really possible for me either (gotta be up 5am on saturday, makes late night on friday not ideal)

Well this isn't great news.......

It's coming up to the point where we might need Russia soon.....not sure what to make of this.

PotshotPolka
9 Jun 2010, 10:24am
If we play thursday then we won't do anything involving the USSR. I suggest we just play till the end of France. So how about 6pm instead?

Lux
9 Jun 2010, 03:34pm
If we play thursday then we won't do anything involving the USSR. I suggest we just play till the end of France. So how about 6pm instead?

I don't know exactly when the peace thing is over but I think if we play tomorrow it should stop at that point (whenever the peace thing is over).

Erm.....the thing is that Jaffa can't play until Monday night (or maybe Sunday...?)..so that doesn't leave us with much to do......unless we can play these games sooner so that Jaffa can play.

Or alternatively....we can start another campaign in the next few days so that some of the newer people who have been practising can join in (as I'm not really sure that it's worth them playing in our game any more considering what's gone on.)....then we could finish our game at a later date.

Up to everyone else really.....I just think if we carry on without Jaffa the axis are going to win easily.

Jaffa
9 Jun 2010, 05:13pm
I don't mind too much what you guys do, you can try and finish it if you want. How much longer (ingame timewise) have you guys played after I went to bed?

Lux
9 Jun 2010, 05:34pm
I don't mind too much what you guys do, you can try and finish it if you want. How much longer (ingame timewise) have you guys played after I went to bed?

Allies are finished.

Many of my troops are stuck in Paris hold out, Andre has used (or wasted....) most of his men....the only way we'd ever hold out is if USSR stepped in soonish...

If we get this game over and done with in the next few days then we can just leave it at Potshot/Drac defeating me and Andre and start a new one after.

Jaffa
9 Jun 2010, 05:47pm
My entire strategy is defensive, so I wouldn't expect too much help :)

Load up one of the files as USSR and you can see my fortifications being built up.

One of you could take over USSR if one of your nations is all but dead, and finish out the game.

I call not USSR next game, its too much waiting :P

PotshotPolka
9 Jun 2010, 07:32pm
So how are the Allies finished? We took 6 months to push you guys back in France, the majority of your army is albeit in retreat but still intact and can be recovered by sea. We've lost the majority of our naval forces, Japan is in a deadlock, and we can't assume they'll break out, and we've got the entire Soviet Union still. The USA can fortify itself the same way Britain can and hold out against practically anything we can land for now, seeing as how we don't have extensive navies or ports to supply from to get that far.

You've lost France, from everything you all said, you expected to lose France from the start and you didn't want to bother holding it with your units, so you only intervened after Drac had occupied most of the Low Countries. Andrei was too busy fighting the Portuguese to be productive, and if he had thrown his units into your push also you would have had a force sufficient enough to break the German push, or at the very least hold it at major rivers.

If you want to restart next week to get in new players, fine. This will be the only time though.

Lux
10 Jun 2010, 05:17am
So how are the Allies finished? We took 6 months to push you guys back in France, the majority of your army is albeit in retreat but still intact and can be recovered by sea. We've lost the majority of our naval forces, Japan is in a deadlock, and we can't assume they'll break out, and we've got the entire Soviet Union still. The USA can fortify itself the same way Britain can and hold out against practically anything we can land for now, seeing as how we don't have extensive navies or ports to supply from to get that far.

You've lost France, from everything you all said, you expected to lose France from the start and you didn't want to bother holding it with your units, so you only intervened after Drac had occupied most of the Low Countries. Andrei was too busy fighting the Portuguese to be productive, and if he had thrown his units into your push also you would have had a force sufficient enough to break the German push, or at the very least hold it at major rivers.

Paris won't get out..that leaves me with an island of HQ units and a handful of infantry/garrison units. Andre has pretty much no/almost no units left in America....yes we have the navy but it won't last forever...even if you haven't won yet the USSR is playing defensively (apparently.....)...so we stand little chance. I'll carry on playing I'm not moaning or anything...just want the best experience.

If you want to restart next week to get in new players, fine. This will be the only time though.

Do you only intend on doing one play through or something?.....

Jaffa
10 Jun 2010, 05:22am
I don't know why you expected me to play USSR aggressively? My neutrality is too high still/threat too low to go to war against a minor to gain war benefits, plus the likelehood of the Allies being kicked off the continent by 41/42 is pretty high.

The Allies didn't hold France in WW2 in RL, so don't expect it to be the norm to hold it in HOI3.

Lux
10 Jun 2010, 05:36am
I don't know why you expected me to play USSR aggressively? My neutrality is too high still/threat too low to go to war against a minor to gain war benefits, plus the likelehood of the Allies being kicked off the continent by 41/42 is pretty high.

The Allies didn't hold France in WW2 in RL, so don't expect it to be the norm to hold it in HOI3.

I didn't expect us to keep France, but I expected there to be fronts on both sides of Germany....because as you said that is how it happened in RL. Ok it wasn't you who started it....but it was more than possible, and I think the longer you waited the more you allow Axis to kill off potential Allies of yours.

Dracula
10 Jun 2010, 05:55am

Agreed.

And Lux why should he help when yall need it instead of when he can actually do damage? He does afterall have his on faction hes not allies.

Jaffa
10 Jun 2010, 05:59am
The Molotov-Ribbentrop pact gives a NAP between Comitern and Axis until sometime in '41.

Lux
10 Jun 2010, 06:22am
Agreed.

And Lux why should he help when yall need it instead of when he can actually do damage? He does afterall have his on faction hes not allies.

The enemy of the enemy is.........

The Molotov-Ribbentrop pact gives a NAP between Comitern and Axis until sometime in '41.

Never said now :blink:

Dracula
10 Jun 2010, 06:44am

Lol'd.

PotshotPolka
10 Jun 2010, 08:23am

Never said now :blink:

If by a small chance Axis were completely rolled and the Allies/Comintern met somewhere in say..... Berlin, and the game was still not '48 do you think the game would actually end peacefully?

Jaffa
10 Jun 2010, 08:36am
If by a small chance Axis were completely rolled and the Allies/Comintern met somewhere in say..... Berlin, and the game was still not '48 do you think the game would actually end peacefully?

Haha, ssh!!!

PotshotPolka
10 Jun 2010, 11:45am
Well to hell with it, we'll wait for Jaffa so I guess no game tonight.

Lux
10 Jun 2010, 12:09pm

I dunno....games don't always end on a victory screen :frown:

Game wise tonight....I've already been teaching Blueline and Mick how to play so I'm quite tired of it tonight anyway.

Toxin
12 Jun 2010, 12:15pm
Wait, what?

Well, I'd love to join in, and I just bought the game yesterday because it seemed like I had little money over and wanted a good RTS, since I lost my CoH login... whenever you guys are restarting, I'm joining in.

Dracula
12 Jun 2010, 01:16pm
Wait, what?

Well, I'd love to join in, and I just bought the game yesterday because it seemed like I had little money over and wanted a good RTS, since I lost my CoH login... whenever you guys are restarting, I'm joining in.

No, your not. Your playing Singleplayer first.

Toxin
12 Jun 2010, 02:12pm
Lol, alright, shouldn't take me more than a few days.

Jaffa
13 Jun 2010, 09:49am
feel free to talk to me, on steam/pms/etc if anyone has questions on the game, i'm quite happy to help if I have the time