PDA

View Full Version : House GOP stops major science, technology bill

SgtJoo
19 May 2010, 08:36pm
Funding denied for math and science education, tech-centric business loans

It was strike two for a major science funding bill Wednesday as House Republicans again united to derail legislation they said was too expensive.

Going down to defeat was the COMPETES Act, which would have committed more than $40 billion over three years to boost funding for the National Science Foundation and other federal agencies involved in basic and applied science, provided loan guarantees to small businesses developing new technologies and promoted science and math education.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/05/19/us_congress_technology/index.html

... are Republicans really that intent on being anti-anything-related-to-Democrats that they feel the need to block a bill that would further scientific achievements in the U.S.? I mean it's not like we're already falling behind other countries /sarcasm

Bilbo Baggins
19 May 2010, 09:47pm
Until they are in the majority they are the party of "no"

Ultramarine
20 May 2010, 04:57am
Gay shit, how much you want to bet that effects stem cell research...

Wouldn't surprise me, The Bush Administration was really dicking around with Stem cell research.

Shadowex3
21 May 2010, 02:04pm
So first they make schools intolerate with Zero Tolerance, then they make such thick anti-terrorism regulations that nobody can even study chemistry or science, then they bitch about how we're falling behind in the sciences because nobody studies it, and now they block funding to the sciences?

KScorp
21 May 2010, 02:50pm
In blocking big-budget bills defense, we ARE nearly 13 trillion dollars in debt.

Red
21 May 2010, 02:53pm
What's another few million/billion/trillion on top of 13 trillion? It's all monopoly money anyways

KScorp
21 May 2010, 02:58pm
I kind of feel the same. This bill wouldn't put a dent in anything, and it would be for a good cause.

It's just that Republicans seem to use the "no more spending" policy as a large excuse for stopping most bills.

Delirium
21 May 2010, 06:18pm
It because it's going to lead the country further astray from their christian roots.

Shadowex3
21 May 2010, 08:12pm
In blocking big-budget bills defense, we ARE nearly 13 trillion dollars in debt.

Yeah maybe they should've thought of that before inventing the dept. of homeland security, which is basically hemorrhaging money just to run a magic mood-ring that has never been below the top 2 levels of "ONOES" and "FUCK".

Determined2Win
21 May 2010, 09:01pm
What's another few million/billion/trillion on top of 13 trillion? It's all monopoly money anyways

Brb calling Andrew Mellon to come back from the dead.

Republicans are best known for double/triple/quadruple backing on themselves, so I'm not really surprised of their actions. Sure, we won't have the funding to come upon some new constellation or another way that 2 + 2 = 5, but at least those Repub's will have it as an ego-booster. /sarcasm.