PDA

View Full Version : ba_pow

W00tbeer1
19 May 2010, 05:47pm
<fieldset><div align="center"><blink><b class="blue"><font size="3">ba_pow (Prisoner of War)</font></b></blink></div></fieldset>

<fieldset><div align="center"><b class="green">Whats the Map about?</b>

You have been captured in an unknown country as a prisoner of war. The conditions are harsh, but with the assistance of your fellow prisoners you may be able to rebel against the guards of this outdoor, prison facility. This map will include a two-story prison complex, a harsh version of isolation (The Hole), a small indoor feeding facility, two guardtowers connected by a pully train, the armory with full prison controls (lighting, cells, isolation, main controls of the level), and more (IDEAS ARE WELCOME!) This map will be a typically dark map with lighting in central areas.</div></fieldset>

<fieldset><div align="center"><b class="green">Total Hours Spent Making the Map</b>

5 Hours</div></fieldset>

<fieldset><div align="center"><b class="green">Completion Percentages</div></b>

<ul><ul><li> Jailhouse
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Progress_bar_50.svg/120px-Progress_bar_50.svg.png

No Images Yet, Coming Soon!

<li> Armory
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Progress_bar_0.svg/120px-Progress_bar_0.svg.png

<li> Isolation
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Progress_bar_70.svg/120px-Progress_bar_70.svg.png

<li> Big Cage
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Progress_bar_0.svg/120px-Progress_bar_0.svg.png

<li> Guard Towers

<li> Indoor Feeding Facility

</div></fieldset>

<fieldset><div align="center"><b class="green">Currently Working On</b>

The Overall Basic Structure of the Map (Buildings, only few entities!)</div></fieldset>

<fieldset><div align="center"><b class="green">Updates</b>

06/19/10 - Finished adding all the light fixtures to the jailhouse. Each room is lit with an individual light, and the outside is lit by 5 separated lights. The CT's (and T *wink*) have a control to toggle these light fixtures with delay. </div></fieldset>

<fieldset><div align="center"><b class="green">Please Post your Comments!</b>

Do you like the idea? Or do you hate it? Do you have any suggestions for any buildings or controls in the map? Please post them! </div></fieldset>

iNorris
19 May 2010, 06:20pm
Cell controls are better when placed on the actual cell block. Also, it's gonna be a hassle to send Ts into isolation if the button is in the armory (as the armory doors should not be accessible from the outside).

Otherwise, it sounds good, though you might want to make the gandola between the two towers very fast to avoid unbalanced play, as a T with a mere pistol could easily take out a CT on a slow-moving platform.

W00tbeer1
19 May 2010, 06:27pm
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I realized that the buttons to open cells on many maps are on the side of the jailhouse. I will most likely move the button there. I will make the platform a decent speed, not super fast so people just stay on it, but not very slow as if you were a turtle.

Thanks again :-)

W00tbeer1
19 May 2010, 06:29pm
In addition, I have a question on whether you guys would think this is a good idea:

The separation between each cell is currently a cage texture; so you can see every person on your level in the jailhouse. Should I put a little space in the back of the cage texture so that T's can toss stuff around like guns, but not enough room for them to slip through? I think it might add some sort of tactic to the game, but I'm not completely sure.

kabLe
19 May 2010, 06:43pm
In addition, I have a question on whether you guys would think this is a good idea:

The separation between each cell is currently a cage texture; so you can see every person on your level in the jailhouse. Should I put a little space in the back of the cage texture so that T's can toss stuff around like guns, but not enough room for them to slip through? I think it might add some sort of tactic to the game, but I'm not completely sure.

No. People will never give up their guns.

Archy
19 May 2010, 06:45pm
sounds like a cool map idea. Can't wait to see the finished product

W00tbeer1
19 May 2010, 06:55pm
No. People will never give up their guns.

That's what I thought.
I'm almost done with the jailhouse, just have to add some props in each cell and some other things and it should be good to go.

iNorris
19 May 2010, 07:24pm
Don't put in the real beds, if you are putting in any at all. Use the bare wire bed, no mattress. It'll give it a more hostile feel. Also, what guns do you plan to include? The standards (AK47, M4A1, Deagle, AWP), or will you throw in some others, like the shotty and semi-scope rifles (aug, sg552)?

W00tbeer1
19 May 2010, 07:50pm
Don't put in the real beds, if you are putting in any at all. Use the bare wire bed, no mattress. It'll give it a more hostile feel. Also, what guns do you plan to include? The standards (AK47, M4A1, Deagle, AWP), or will you throw in some others, like the shotty and semi-scope rifles (aug, sg552)?

Yep I just put in the bed wiring. I'm probably just going to put the standard weapons as that's what the people prefer. Hopefully I'll be done with this map within a month.

iNorris
19 May 2010, 09:26pm
Awesome. I'm sure it'll be a hit with everyone here at SG. Good luck!

Exacto-Be
21 May 2010, 02:31am
I wanna see some pics of this babe

just to let u know ... most maps (i'd even say all maps xcept 1) on the pb-server are bright ... so it might happen some ppl will not like the dark parts of ur map (personally i dunt care either it's light or dark)

& eh ... what exactly do u mean with feeding facility?

for the rest, i'll be waiting for the pics to give my full opinion :bigsmile:

Good luck with the map :cool:

W00tbeer1
22 May 2010, 10:30am
Thanks.
Currently I'm trying to put some fences in the map because it's open area and it might not be easy to sneak away if there are CT's in the guard towers. Basically some corners of the map are pretty dark, and if the lights are turned off in the jailhouse it may be hard to see if the T's are aiming guns at them, so it might spice things up.

Feeding Facility = Dining Building (it's going to be a little building with some tables like kitchen in razor)

I also decided I'm going to put a medic in the map.

iNorris
22 May 2010, 11:13am
lol I would make it a "medical waste dump," not a medic, because remember, this is a POW camp, not a common prison. You gotta make mean and harsh.

W00tbeer1
24 May 2010, 01:10pm
I have decided to go with a darker skybox and more lights. Also, in the basement of the CT spawning area will be a generator with a button. If the button is pressed (only allowed by T), all the lights on the map will shut off and will not be able to be turned back on.

Do you think this would work before I start building it?

Karnivor
24 May 2010, 01:20pm
I have decided to go with a darker skybox and more lights. Also, in the basement of the CT spawning area will be a generator with a button. If the button is pressed (only allowed by T), all the lights on the map will shut off and will not be able to be turned back on.

Do you think this would work before I start building it?

My advice, is to have a set of emergency lights that kick on after a certain amount of time. Otherwise someone will run straight down there hit it and piss everyone else off.

I originally had this in an early work of karnage, but it turned out to be something that wasn't worth keeping, as it takes a lot to include this and still have balance and decent game play.

starbucks
24 May 2010, 03:03pm
sounds very good!