PDA

View Full Version : Cold War stuff

Caution
6 May 2010, 04:58pm
So, I got a pretty big test tomorrow on the Cold War. Some of the essay questions are which presidents used money they best, military the best, and mouth the best (and why).

I was thinking Truman (or maybe Eisenhower) for military, Reagan for mouth, and I'm not sure who for money. I'd appreciate any feed back / opinions on who you think deserves these three titles (and why).

PotshotPolka
6 May 2010, 05:12pm
Truman for fighting a limited war in Korea against the North Koreans and Chinese without allowing the conflict to escalate to a full-scale engagement.
Eisenhower had some of the best domestic projects and balanced his budget. (Interstate highway system)
Reagan for his oratory skills "Teflon President".

Caution
6 May 2010, 05:45pm
Truman for fighting a limited war in Korea against the North Koreans and Chinese without allowing the conflict to escalate to a full-scale engagement.
Eisenhower had some of the best domestic projects and balanced his budget. (Interstate highway system)
Reagan for his oratory skills "Teflon President".

Hmm would you put JFK up there with best use of mouth? And for Truman, stopping Communism from spreading to Japan (A-bombs) would be another militaristic reason - even though it was a little before the Cold War itself - right?

And as far as money & Eisenhower goes, it is more about foreign policies and whatnot, not things here at home (Interstate Highway System). Sorry, should have made that more clear.

PotshotPolka
6 May 2010, 05:54pm
Hmm would you put JFK up there with best use of mouth? And for Truman, stopping Communism from spreading to Japan (A-bombs) would be another militaristic reason - even though it was a little before the Cold War itself - right?

And as far as money & Eisenhower goes, it is more about foreign policies and whatnot, not things here at home (Interstate Highway System). Sorry, should have made that more clear.

No, JFK is famous for being assassinated. His impasse with Khrushchev during 62 was largely due to NATO positioning of SRBMs near the borders of the Communist Bloc.

For money then, most definitely Truman for the Marshall Plan.

Caution
6 May 2010, 07:50pm
For money then, most definitely Truman for the Marshall Plan.

After reading a bit more on this, the Marshall Plan seems like it was just basically a reconstruction period for Western Europe in the late 40's. Am I missing anything major?

PotshotPolka
6 May 2010, 10:58pm
After reading a bit more on this, the Marshall Plan seems like it was just basically a reconstruction period for Western Europe in the late 40's. Am I missing anything major?

Sorry didn't see it. It was a move that prevented the communist bloc from undermining the countries.

yardy
6 May 2010, 11:44pm
Truman used it the best as well he mouthed the most since he was sure that it would take stalin 10 more years to develope the atomic bomb and therefore saw himself as the winner of this war, where Stalin developed the atmoic bomb only 2 years after the Americans did.

1. The Truman doctrine (by establishing this Truman gave financial aid to every country in europe to make them recover faster in order to stop communist takoevers in poor governments. As well Truman wanted to have a strong Western orientated frontier against the USSR. This was also used in South Korea and Vietnam)

2. Marshall Plan (This came right after the Truman doctrine and was set up by Marshal, this didnt only give financial aid but also economic aid in europe and asia, e.g. Germany, France, Greece, South Korea, Vietnam)

3. NSC-68 (this was a heavily anti communist document saying that the USA will help every country in this world that is being attacked by communists or where there are communist takeovers in government. Such as in Korea and Vietnam)

4. NATO (The formation of the Nato angered Stalin since he saw a strong west facing the USSR, all countries willing and able to attack the USSR if there is a communist attack. Laster Stalin signed the Warsaw pact with his Soviet contries)

Fuck communism

Slavic
7 May 2010, 01:31pm
Reagan punched a hole through the Berlin Wall with his bare fists

Lordcrazy
8 May 2010, 06:21am
Now guys you have to remember that Nixon's administration opened up communications with the Chinese.

Killer
8 May 2010, 07:28am

Yes, Truman offered Marshall Aid to the USSR just to annoy Stalin (they knew they were gonna reject it) coz if they accept it, it will make them look week, but also all the Satalite states (including molotov) was like WTF why didnt you accept it, wee need it. This built up tensions between USA and USSR

For the military part im not to sure... President Truman develeoped the A-bomb President Eisenhower developed the U-2 and other types of bombs (IBM's CBM's). If one of the questions is which country had the best military...Before the Cuban missile crisis, USA was ahead in the Arms race, this is one of the reason's why Krushchev put Missiles on Cuba

Also, for the Truman doctrine, say that his speech was directed to Stalin and he was saying he practices the policy of Containment and will atack if he takes over another country, this also Increased tensions between USSR and USA

Im not to sure on these facts they are kind of from ontop of my head.
But i studied them in school quite recently as it is part of my course also.

Omar
8 May 2010, 08:08am
remember the terror balance or whatever it's called. the one about USA and USSR having nukes. and if one of them fired, the other would have the time to fire back and pwn eachother.
Marshall act was to give a shtload of money to europe for reconstruction and then europe would buy products and raw materials (or some shit) from USA so It would be a healthy circle again,
USA also hired the same Nazi that created the V2 rocket so he could help them make ICBM's (inter-continental-ballistic-missiles)
Also those economists that helped the communism in USSR
wait OP, I'll find sources and name
ugh.. can only remember Marx
Who did the Marshall act btw?

PotshotPolka
8 May 2010, 09:10am
He wrote the paper yesterday, just fyi.

Spiritwind
8 May 2010, 11:20am
Ask Cold War any questions you have. The dudes named after it, he should be able to answer any =p.

SgtJoo
8 May 2010, 11:42am
I had a European History exam yesterday and I kicked myself after it when I realized that I answered Brezhnev to a question that should have been Khrushchev. Fucking Russians. :(

Caution
8 May 2010, 11:52am
He wrote the paper yesterday, just fyi.

Yeah lol. You guys can stop responding on here now.

Thanks for the quick help Potshot. I'll bump this thread when I get my grade back.

Metal
8 May 2010, 04:11pm
I'm just saying, dooms day clock?

Caution
20 May 2010, 10:24pm
96% lol, thank you very much Potshot.