PDA

View Full Version : Fight in the Ukranian Parliment

Delirium
5 May 2010, 05:04pm
Surprised no one has posted this yet.

It's pretty lolz worthy but the reason I posted it in the politics section is to ask for opinions on the issue the fight broke out about. Basically the Russians are trying to extend a lease on a naval base in the Ukraine on the black sea, and the issue is over the divide in the country on negative or positive thoughts about Russia. It seems that half of their country seems to think that when the were a satellite of the USSR it was the 'good ol days' but the other half think that seeing as they are their own country they should cut ties with the negative connotations of Russia's past.

Needless to say Eastern European politics are very interesting and volatile, and I know a few of you living in that area will have some strong opinions, as well as Potshot.

Here's the link with the story and the video:
http://www.examiner.com/x-41082-Public-Policy-Examiner~y2010m4d27-US-Congress-is-tame-compared-to-the-Ukranian-parliament

PotshotPolka
6 May 2010, 02:00pm
I think every time something between the Russians and Ukrainians comes up (that doesn't relate to oil I ask why the fuck did the Ukrainian SSR get Crimea in the first place? It made absolutely no sense even while the USSR was intact, and now its a quagmire because the population there is, or at least was at the time of the break primarily Russian.

Having your entire Black Sea fleet being positioned there makes it that much more confusing.

If it comes down to anything though, and I'm not an expert on the issue by any means, but its that the major difference between parties are their policies on whether or not to favor the West or Russia. The latest President is pro-Russia but even though the Orange Revolution ended a good number of the members of parliament are still openly hostile to friendly relations with Russia.

SgtJoo
6 May 2010, 03:36pm
I think every time something between the Russians and Ukrainians comes up (that doesn't relate to oil I ask why the fuck did the Ukrainian SSR get Crimea in the first place? It made absolutely no sense even while the USSR was intact, and now its a quagmire because the population there is, or at least was at the time of the break primarily Russian.

Having your entire Black Sea fleet being positioned there makes it that much more confusing.

If it comes down to anything though, and I'm not an expert on the issue by any means, but its that the major difference between parties are their policies on whether or not to favor the West or Russia. The latest President is pro-Russia but even though the Orange Revolution ended a good number of the members of parliament are still openly hostile to friendly relations with Russia.

Aren't pro-Russia and pro-West not mutually exclusive?

PotshotPolka
6 May 2010, 03:39pm
Aren't pro-Russia and pro-West not mutually exclusive?

When it comes to foreign policy? Yes.