PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody read these books?

Caution
23 Apr 2010, 09:03pm
Man's Search for Meaning

and

The Great Divorce

I have to read these books for an online English course I'm taking over the summer. The Great Divorce is by C.S. Lewis (guy who wrote Narnia), which I am somewhat a fan of, so I figure that will be fine. If you've read either, did you enjoy it? And was it an easy read?

Thanks

Prez
23 Apr 2010, 09:09pm
I haven't read these myself, but I've read up on The Great Divorce; from what I've seen, it looks like a good read, although it's hard to explain what it's about and what I would say about it. All that I can really say about it is that it looks great, although it may be a somewhat difficult read, because of the content portrayed in the novel.

Caution
3 Jun 2010, 08:44pm
Great Divorce was really good; it takes a philosophical approach to religion & afterlife.

Man's Search for Meaning is meh. I don't like reading depressing stories tbh.

Gator
5 Jun 2010, 11:44pm
I may have to look to reading these books. They sound really good.

Caution
10 Jun 2010, 09:37pm
I may have to look to reading these books. They sound really good.

I really suggest Great Divorce. I'm not a religious person at ALL, but I really like the way the author approached religion in this book.

samaste.march
11 Jun 2010, 01:48am
I have just finished reading C. S. Lewis’s book The Great Divorce, and it now moves to the status of favorite of all the C. S. Lewis books I have read. The best way I can describe this book is to say that it is an allegorical study of the psychology of the hell-bound vs the psychology of the heaven-bound. If you are looking for a theology of heaven and hell I would recommend you stick to some of the standard texts of systematic theology.