PDA

View Full Version : A Moment of Silence..

Itch
6 Mar 2008, 03:01pm
Gary Gygax co-creator and founder of Dungeons & Dragons passed away this week.

Anyone who's ever played an RPG or MMORPG owes this guy a nod..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81988-Gary-Gygax-Dies

Italian Jew
6 Mar 2008, 03:11pm
Yeah I saw that....he was a figurehead of all geeks(geek isn't bad) everywhere. I never got into D&D, but it was the CS of his time I suppose. All RPG and MMORPG play should stop for a day, in memorium...

Josh
6 Mar 2008, 03:22pm
Saw this on WoW's main site yesterday lol. Sad to see such a great innovator pass away, but thats life.

EvInReaLife
6 Mar 2008, 03:47pm
Ive never heard of him

Italian Jew
6 Mar 2008, 04:17pm
Well, you are probably to young to know the phenomenon like many of us. I know of him through Modern Marvels and other educational programming like that.

Cool guy, should look him up

LegalSmash
6 Mar 2008, 07:05pm
I am sad, I played AD&D and 3rd Ed throughout HS and College... fun times. He will be missed... I just hope WOTC/EtC who ever has the license now doesnt royally fuck the d20 system up.

VirDeBello
6 Mar 2008, 07:31pm
D&D, I heard of that. How did he die? Was it because he got too frustrated with the game and shot himself like other people? lmao thats messed up but what happened to him just old age?

Itch
6 Mar 2008, 07:37pm
The news posts don't say.. just that he was in his early 70's.

VirDeBello
6 Mar 2008, 07:59pm
The news posts don't say.. just that he was in his early 70's.

Hmmm......well many people around the world are thankful for is innovation and open-minded manner and creating a cool game. :3

SOLANUM
6 Mar 2008, 11:33pm
I never actually got into playing the game but I still collect the game pieces, i have at least 200 of em lined up on my shelves. Sorry to hear hes gone.

Sol :)

LegalSmash
7 Mar 2008, 12:43pm
Actually Vir, the game didnt get retarded until wizards of th e coast got their hands on it... prior to that it was pretty damn enjoyable.... think of playing elder scrolls oblivion with less rules but on paper.

I believe he died of some sort of cancer... I've heard the guy was a hard core chain smoker.

Itch
7 Mar 2008, 12:50pm
I think the point is that he was the Grandfather of all RPG's be it on paper or PC. They took a great idea built a great game and it evolved into a huge subculture.

Anyone who is addicted to WoW, Everquest, Elderscrolls, NeverWinter Etc. Can trace the games lineage back to the original D&D.

LegalSmash
7 Mar 2008, 01:09pm
Yep. It all started in some dude's basement...

Slavic
7 Mar 2008, 08:35pm
True, it is logical to say that just about all RPG games had some sort of link to the original D&D. If i'm not mistaken, the first RPG computer games where basically virtual D&D games.

LegalSmash
7 Mar 2008, 10:07pm
yep it was like a statistics calculator for dice

Xearo
8 Mar 2008, 04:47am
This is Rather disappointing to hear. I've attempted to play D&D but it's rather hard to find people since I live in a rather small town. But nonetheless it was an amazing idea and it evolved in many ways. Even today people find it enjoyable.

LegalSmash
9 Mar 2008, 09:54am
we should make an online text based version on zm for those that have never played. We can make it our own, draw up rules, make some sort of program to mimic dice throwing of the different (d3-d20 variety) and have mods that act as GM's on the forum...

Anyone interested in drafting this up with me?

The Commissar
10 Mar 2008, 06:23am
we should make an online text based version on zm for those that have never played. We can make it our own, draw up rules, make some sort of program to mimic dice throwing of the different (d3-d20 variety) and have mods that act as GM's on the forum...

Anyone interested in drafting this up with me?

I did a couple of zombie/apocalypse undead D&D style games before, im up for giving u a hand.

On a sadder note, shame such a brilliant mind passed away, but atleast he made the lives of others that little bit more enjyable on a dark sunday evening when your bored and want a game.

Hes probably sitting in heaven as we speak with his +3 mace.

LegalSmash
10 Mar 2008, 09:30am
and his armor of baphomet...

Itch
10 Mar 2008, 09:35am
And me.. well I'm still wearing my +1 t-shirt

LegalSmash
10 Mar 2008, 09:57am
Im taking notes in remedies class, fortifying my wisdom by +2 for one hour.

Itch
10 Mar 2008, 12:49pm
Not a bad NY Times article about his death.. Great flow chart too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/opinion/09rogers.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin