PDA

View Full Version : Senate bill six

Frostbyte
10 Apr 2010, 09:50am
http://feaweb.org/florida-teachers-express-opposition-to-senate-bill-6

tl;dr version: Teachers get paid based off of student performance.

Bob Loblaw
12 Apr 2010, 01:54am
http://feaweb.org/florida-teachers-express-opposition-to-senate-bill-6

tl;dr version: Teachers get paid based off of student performance.

F'ing retarded...
I've had some reallly great teachers, like my high school chem one, and it's not his fault that there are a lot of stupid people out there.. He shouldn't be getting paid because he has a gifted class, or a class full of retards.. He should be getting paid based on doing his job...

Itch
12 Apr 2010, 08:39am
I personally know of kids that were pushed through the system regardless of grades because of "No Child Left Behind"

I feel that basing a Teachers salary on grades does nothing more than motivate the teacher to give the students better grades regardless of whether or not they deserve those grades. And if they are based on test scores.. how many people in this community alone have cheated on a test?

SgtJoo
12 Apr 2010, 08:59am
I personally know of kids that were pushed through the system regardless of grades because of "No Child Left Behind"

I feel that basing a Teachers salary on grades does nothing more than motivate the teacher to give the students better grades regardless of whether or not they deserve those grades. And if they are based on test scores.. how many people in this community alone have cheated on a test?

I agree. Although it should be who hasn't cheated on a test? :p

Italian Jew
12 Apr 2010, 09:46am
So no more of that tenure BS? Good for Florida.

Bilbo Baggins
12 Apr 2010, 12:55pm
I don't really know how I feel about this. On one hand I've had teachers who are completely incompetent, but won't ever lose their jobs because they managed to hold it together long enough to get tenure. But then on the other hand I've had great teachers who have kids in their class that are complete morons, I don't think their pay should be based off of the grades of kids who don't care if they pass the class or not.

Kuro
15 Apr 2010, 12:15am
i always feel like no real discussion takes place and most politicians put shit like this together as a knee-jerk reaction to a problem only to say "we have a solution so vote for us!" especially on this case i feel there are far better solutions to a statewide problem.

Shadowex3
15 Apr 2010, 07:41pm
Everyone here keeps forgetting that the word "minimum" exists, and that the average salary for teachers is pretty damn high.

Tyler
15 Apr 2010, 08:08pm
:] it got vetoed today, fairly happy because alot of electives were going to get cut

Movement
15 Apr 2010, 08:14pm
Awesome, just another reason for teachers to hate us or love us.