PDA

View Full Version : Server Map "Management" Idea

Prez
26 Mar 2010, 01:51pm
I had an idea on how we can "filter" out the "worst" maps on all of our servers. It may not appeal to some of you, so you can say no.

This idea utilizes the otherwise, well, not really used !ratemap command in the servers. Each month, the map ratings for every server- or some servers, depending on what would work, to 0.00. Throughout the month, players in the servers will rate the maps accordingly. At the end of the month, the 5 lowest rated maps will be picked out. There will then be a vote (forums) to see which one everyone would want to be gone out of the 5. From that, another vote will be put forth to see whether to take out the map or not.

Some possible problems with this would be that I'm not sure if we have access to a giant list of all the ratings for all of the maps. If so, it would be great. Secondly, I'm not completely sure about the map rotation, so some maps may not be played as much. If this idea was to be put into effect, we could omit the maps that have less than a certain amount of ratings, and include a "wildcard" system, which would have a vote for these maps that don't have enough ratings; this vote would be the same as the lowest 5 vote. The one voted highest in this would get a spot in the lowest 5 vote, but be a 6th "wildcard" spot.

Also, in the event of a tie in either the wildcard vote or the lowest 5 vote, we could do two things: pick one of the tied ones randomly to go into the final vote, and the same thing for the wildcard vote, or we could base it off of the raw !ratemap data, and see which one has a lower overall rating (we would also need to take into account the amount of votes that each map has). If by some rare chance that the !ratemap data is the same as well, we would have to go with the first option.

This is really just a thought, and if it were to work, it would make sure that the bad maps don't get played a lot. What do you guys think about it?

Haggard
28 Mar 2010, 12:04am
I hate ratemap and didn't realize it was still running on any of the servers. We can probably find a better way to keep track of maps. I stopped using ratemap after failing to get the web piece of that plug in to work correctly.

If I can come up with a way to have forum users rate maps I will do that instead of using the ingame plugin (that is only running because I forgot to remove it).

Any suggestions oh how to manage map rating on the forum let me know...