PDA

View Full Version : Community Mapping Project

EvInReaLife
29 Feb 2008, 08:06pm
If we get all of the expert mappers of this community together to make one map, imagine what would be the result. I was thinking that maybe we could start a coummunity mapping project, where everyone would submit ideas or work into one map.

Im thinking of something big, like a new escape map.

It should be assembly line style(one person-spawn area,one person-vehicles-one person secrets, etc.)

The first person to start, after hes done with his part of the map, would PM the link for download of the incomplete map to the next person in line. We would continue this until its finished.

I will start the map(that is, if people choose to participate) and then from there we will choose roles.

Post on this thread your ideas to make this a reality.

Also, post some ideas and what role you would like.

I think this would be alot of fun, and a very proactive experience also.

Ev

killerkallerant
29 Feb 2008, 09:17pm
I agree. Im in. I will help with this.

EvInReaLife
1 Mar 2008, 09:09am
I agree. Im in. I will help with this.

we need more people first.

EvInReaLife
1 Mar 2008, 12:58pm
Roles are as follows:

BOX,BOUNDRIES AND SPAWN AREA:
EvInReaLife

Skybox/sky area:

Hunter

VEHICLES:

killerkallerant/Echo

VISUAL EFFECTS:

Echo

End/Compile/Upload

Bill Smauz

Keep in mind that you should put the appropriate textures and entitys in your assigned area.

£cho
1 Mar 2008, 01:16pm
I could do visual effects. I know a lot about env_ entities and the like and could really make the map pop. =D

This is a great idea, imo.

Falcon04
1 Mar 2008, 01:43pm
so what I'm getting from this is that Evil makes the map and everyone touches it up... not as community driven as it was thinking.

EvInReaLife
1 Mar 2008, 01:47pm
so what I'm getting from this is that Evil makes the map and everyone touches it up... not as community driven as it was thinking.

Thats not how its going to work falcon, sorry for being so vague.

Using this thread, everyone who has aggreed to help will brainstorm ideas for the map, like how big, what kind, name, concept etc.

Then i make the general layout of the map to start it off.

Then we PM the link for dl to the next person on the list, like i said in my first post.

When i first concieved this, i thought it would be a great way to make a great map and also, to bring this community closer together as a whole.

So everyone is as important as everyone else when making the map.

Bill Smauz
1 Mar 2008, 05:23pm
I would make the end.

EvInReaLife
2 Mar 2008, 08:59am
okay, now that we have most of the people needed, we are up to our first order of buisness, deciding what kind of map to make.

napalm
escape
gungame
classic

Post your decision here!

£cho
2 Mar 2008, 09:18am
Escape, imo.

*Queen VenomousFate*
2 Mar 2008, 10:07am
Escape map of course.

EvInReaLife
2 Mar 2008, 02:45pm
I figured lol.

Just makin sure.

=)

Okay, now that we have everyone we need, its time to start brainstorming map ideas.

What should the map concept be?

How should the map end?

How can the humans get to safety without being consumed?

How can zombies consume humans?

How can we make the map balanced?

Post you thoughts, but above all the map concept so we can begin map making.

killerkallerant
2 Mar 2008, 04:31pm
The humans may be trying to escape a city, which a nuclear missile is heading towards. (RESIDENT EVIL!!!)

The Commissar
2 Mar 2008, 04:35pm
hey ev, i aint much of a mapper, but ive played escape maps since the old days of lab flee and such and really wanna try and throow in a couple of ideas just to help.

map concept:
science/military facility, earth based, lock down map, none timed with player required interactions through the map. Such as the spacestation flee idea of destroying gens then pressing launch then getting shuttle etc. So it aint a standard noob rabbit run though a map like boat escape 6.

Map ending:
Generator overload.
Such as the fact that they activate something at the start (innevitably activated such as opening an important escape door as so the more intelligent dont cheat and just run) which activates a timer so they are having to keep moving and not camp like sponges.

How can humans get about map:
I think the ussual combination of a couple of different vehicles and a footpath route would be cooli remeber on a very old map called snow_fortress or somesuch they managed to make drivable suv's. If we could have a couple of them to load the team onto and also maybe a monorail, which would be automated with cars on a continous circuit.
At the end, was thinking having a master blast door or bridge at a sort of bunker at the end. So when they press the button, the briddge retracts and the fscility is sealed. No idea why, but after playing black mesa, i wanted to see auto bridges included more.

How to allow zombies to eat hummies: add a multitude of vent systems and not too many easy choke ponts since we all know how one guy with a shotty can hold the crates on boat escape 6 and space station.

Making the map balanced: A few anti human boobytaps to thin down humans, a good vent system with many openings should be able to thin zombie choke points. Maybe a few recurring explosion points would be a good idea.
Also, the idea of 4/6 seperate startpoints so that T's and CT's dont all start together in a big safe group.

Thats my very long peice on a few ideas i was thinking.
Hope any of them atleast get your own creative juices flowing.

cheers for all the work you guys are doing.
commissar

EvInReaLife
2 Mar 2008, 06:06pm
all suggestions are appreciated commisar.

Josh13456
4 Mar 2008, 03:50pm
im in, im willing to help on the next map

EvInReaLife
6 Mar 2008, 03:52pm
Map Has Started Circulating!

Kawaii-Desu
6 Mar 2008, 10:00pm
What should the name be?

Decide when screenshots are posted?

mystickiller411
7 Mar 2008, 05:11am
yeah if you managed to get drivable vehicles in it that would be awesommme :nerd:

EvInReaLife
7 Mar 2008, 12:54pm
If anyone has any questions about the status of the map feel free to PM me or any of the others working on the map.

mystickiller411
7 Mar 2008, 02:24pm
also if you do have drivable vehicles put atleast 5 so people wont be fighting over them and also put a door that rises up when someone crosses it so that someone cant come and mess with the controls

November Terra
9 Mar 2008, 12:57pm
I can do optimization if nothin' else - the compiler's built-in optimization procedures are really crappy to be honest.