PDA

View Full Version : Funny Article on Cracked.com

SgtJoo
17 Mar 2010, 09:09am
I think it's more relevant to politics, so I'll drop this here.

6 Subtle Ways The News Media Disguises Bullshit As Fact

As anybody who has ever wistfully imagined Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly fighting to the death over a pit of lava knows, most media outlets are biased. Usually it's not part of anybody's grand scheme to brainwash you, but rather just the result of newsrooms being staffed by fallible, opinionated humans.

The problem is they're generally not allowed to come right out and say they think the subject of their news story is a flaming douchebag, so they have to rely on subtle and sometimes downright dishonest methods to gently sway you one way or the other.

When you browse through the news today, keep an eye out for...

http://www.cracked.com/article_18458_6-subtle-ways-news-media-disguises-bullshit-as-fact.html

The snippet I posted is just the intro, go to the site for the article.

Shadowex3
22 Mar 2010, 01:29am
Most people intelligent enough to use a computer are also intelligent enough to recognize that most mainstream news channels, especially Murdoch's stuff (mostly by his own admission) are pretty much blatantly political mouthpieces for a given party.

Most.

The rest, regardless of WHICH party's mouthpiece they listen to, have such an authoritarian personality that they'll take any suggestion of bias in their chosen authority figures as a personal attack on their family, god, and country.

SgtJoo
22 Mar 2010, 09:30am
It's a shame there's only two big parties in America. I mean there are smaller ones, but one has to choose between two flawed ways of thinking to have a chance of political success.

Slavic
22 Mar 2010, 02:24pm
It's a shame there's only two big parties in America. I mean there are smaller ones, but one has to choose between two flawed ways of thinking to have a chance of political success.

There is no perfect way of thinking. All political parties will have flaws.

ScubaToaster
22 Mar 2010, 02:40pm
True, but that's because they're politicians.

SgtJoo
22 Mar 2010, 05:10pm
There is no perfect way of thinking. All political parties will have flaws.

But with two main parties you're pigeon-holed into two main ways of thinking: Left and Right. The problem is, there are so many more ideologies and beliefs that fall in the middle of the two that without mainstream acceptance you can't really take part of politics/hold office. I mean libertarians are the 3rd biggest party and they fall far, far, far short of the numbers that Democrats or Republicans hold.

Shadowex3
24 Mar 2010, 07:40pm
And thank god for that, some people look at Bioshock and dont see what the problem is...

The two-party dominance is easy to fix though, just stop using winner-takes-all and gerrymandering and even without term limits the issue will begin to fix itself.

Drox
25 Mar 2010, 12:48am

ure right, should only be one party which would be "Independent". ;)

SgtJoo
25 Mar 2010, 08:58am
Democracy isn't exactly the best form of government... self-government is an illusion caused by failure to understand reality; but that's another debate altogether.

Kuro
28 Mar 2010, 02:51am
the reason main reason i see for how today's media works is greed. News now has to make a profit so they cater to the mass majority. Unfortunately the mainstream is filled with stupid ignorant f***s. Which is why everyone goes bat shit cuz Tiger Woods cheated on his wife. Like it really effects your daily life. Internet has its good side and bad side too. But that's another debate.