PDA

View Full Version : How is Obama going to attract math and science professionals to the public teaching ?

kamrinjacobs
26 Feb 2010, 03:57am
How is Obama going to attract math and science professionals to the public teaching field?
I have been surfing the internet, trying to find a glimps of Obama's education plan. I have considered becoming a science teacher myself for secondary education. When Obama was running for President, he said that he would develop a plan to attract Math and Science professionals to teach at our public schools. Does anyone know anything or know where to locate any information about Obama's plan for education?

Italian Jew
26 Feb 2010, 03:12pm
How is Obama going to attract math and science professionals to the public teaching field?
I have been surfing the internet, trying to find a glimps of Obama's education plan. I have considered becoming a science teacher myself for secondary education. When Obama was running for President, he said that he would develop a plan to attract Math and Science professionals to teach at our public schools. Does anyone know anything or know where to locate any information about Obama's plan for education?

Probably his own site ( www.barackobama.com ) It had his plans during the campaign, so I'd image his plans are still on there even now.

You could also try CNN or other news sites.

LegalSmash
26 Feb 2010, 11:36pm

Good Question, much like many other technical fields, the president plans to use the allure of student loan forgiveness within 10 years for federal loans and time in service incentives to entice people to enter those fields.

You would be surprised the reaction you can get from people who had to indebt themselves to get a degree when there is loan forgiveness involved that is meaningful. For years there would be a 2-3 thousand dollar forgiveness, which is less than a year of payment AND the job salary is shit in teaching generally speaking, as it is in public service in general... however, by offering to either forgive a sizeable amount, or all debts left after X years, (with appropriate tax ramifications for the forgiveness, which acts like a gift on your taxes), it allows for these professionals and paraprofessionals to serve the nation in a useful fashion AND get out of debt in an expeditious way that will allow for them to put more money into the economy over the long run, not to mention, ensure an educated workforce that can actually meaningfully contribute in sorely empty fields, without going bankrupt.