PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Touch features

Zero001
22 Feb 2008, 07:00pm
Apple has just releases 5 new applications to their iPod Touch as well as a 32GB model. Apple, what will you think of next? BTW... all older models can be updated for $19.99 :/

- Apple (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/)
- Review (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6490_7-9865636-49.html?tag=more)

For $270 I might even invest on an 8GB model just for the web features. I'm amost always in an area with free wi-fi and this would be a great item to carry along.

VirDeBello
22 Feb 2008, 08:09pm
Isn't that like an iPhone?

Zero001
22 Feb 2008, 08:19pm
It doesnt include a phone so it's smaller and doesn't have the overpriced service from AT&T. It also has 32GB option (overpriced imo) with greater battery life.

If you're still looking for a phone I would select a BlackBerry or LG Voyager.

VirDeBello
22 Feb 2008, 08:46pm
Ehh.............Apply is so over-priced and you can find stuff of the same quality or better at the same prices.....

*Queen VenomousFate*
28 Feb 2008, 03:26pm
According to Apple A developers kit for the iphone/touch will be released in february, which is funny because as of now they have 1 day left to release it. This will allow companies to design software for the itouch but only ones which Apple approves and inserts their own code into. Doubt it will happen anytime soon, Apple isnt to eager to open their money makers to the open market, so dont expect the developers kit for a while.

2 Weeks after i bought the 16 gig the 32 gig came out, i feel so ripped off, i should complain and get my 100 dollars like the iphone people.

James
28 Feb 2008, 03:38pm
Apple sux anyway :D

EvInReaLife
28 Feb 2008, 04:38pm
If you havent bought and downloaded Phase yet, do so RIGHT NOW before you are unrelentlessly harrassed by the gaming community.

*Queen VenomousFate*
28 Feb 2008, 05:14pm
Apple sux anyway :D

Yea, I personally am totally sick of the shear amount of products apple releases, the moment you believe you have the newest item, they come out with something that is a massive leap forward.

And I love the people who try and tell me that their Mac can play games better then my PC.
Macs can be good for somethings but gaming is not one of them.

KingTim
28 Feb 2008, 08:33pm
I think the iphone is only good if you like to spend a lot of money and be on the internet 24/7.

I like the option where I can check the stock prices.

*Queen VenomousFate*
28 Feb 2008, 09:01pm
I would just go with the iTouch, the iphone would be infinatly cooler if it wasnt just for AT&T. Thats why i just stuck with my old junk phone and an iTouch.

Zero001
28 Feb 2008, 10:07pm
The iPhone can be easily and legally be hacked to work worth T-Mobile if it makes you feel any better. AT&T's phone/txt service for the iPhone cost the same as any other phone. The internet service is what cost an arm and a leg (unless you're using wi-fi), and that's why some people switch to T-Mobile.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and purchased a 32GB model because I got what I consider a good deal. $460usd with a 1GB shuffle and $25 iTunes gift card :)
It should be arriving next week so I'll let you know what I think of it.

I chose to purchase Touch because I don't like mixing my personal media player with my phone, battery life being the issue. The touch will be good enough to hold my music, videos and pictures as well as allowing me to browse the web, take notes and store info.

*Queen VenomousFate*
29 Feb 2008, 01:40pm
The iPhone can be easily and legally be hacked to work worth T-Mobile if it makes you feel any better. AT&T's phone/txt service for the iPhone cost the same as any other phone. The internet service is what cost an arm and a leg (unless you're using wi-fi), and that's why some people switch to T-Mobile.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and purchased a 32GB model because I got what I consider a good deal. $460usd with a 1GB shuffle and $25 iTunes gift card :)

I chose to purchase Touch because I don't like mixing my personal media player with my phone, battery life being the issue. The touch will be good enough to hold my music, videos and pictures as well as allowing me to browse the web, take notes and store info.

Yea you can get the iPhone to work with any other network, the only problem is that in doing so you loose the ability to update the software for the iPhone some of which is actually useful (Unlike Apple).

Also I dont find batter life to be a problem with my iTouch, it plays just short of what is the advertised 22 hous of music. so i am happy.

Zero001
29 Feb 2008, 02:07pm
Yea you can get the iPhone to work with any other network, the only problem is that in doing so you loose the ability to update the software for the iPhone some of which is actually useful (Unlike Apple). You can still get software upgrades with the latest hack, but it won't work on any network. Just T-mobile and AT&T.

Also I dont find batter life to be a problem with my iTouch, it plays just short of what is the advertised 22 hous of music. so i am happy.
I know the iTouch has great battery life. That's why I purchased it. I was referring to using a phone as a media player. Almost all modern phones can store music, pictures and video, but the battery life isn't as great. Having a phone on low battery is not an option for me.

*Queen VenomousFate*
29 Feb 2008, 02:24pm
You can still get software upgrades with the latest hack, but it won't work on any network. Just T-mobile and AT&T.

I know the iTouch has great battery life. That's why I purchased it. I was referring to using a phone as a media player. Almost all modern phones can store music, pictures and video, but the battery life isn't as great. Having a phone on low battery is not an option for me.

Really I had heard from most of the people I know who did it that the software updates could not be gotten from Apple, and that you had to download it from a 3rd party to get it work.
But anyways you are the director of gaming so i assume you know what you are talking about lol, my friends are just idiots haha.

Ooo sorry, i thougt you were saying it had short battery life which it doesnt, although I have seen that my battery life has slowly been decreasing and at this rate i am guessing in about a year my battery will be useless.

VirDeBello
4 Mar 2008, 02:56pm

So Zero what do you think of it? I am looking into purchasing it. Any pros and cons you wouldn't mind to share?

Zero001
4 Mar 2008, 06:29pm
So Zero what do you think of it? I am looking into purchasing it. Any pros and cons you wouldn't mind to share?

According to UPS tracking it will be arriving tomorrow before noon (I cheaped out and selected free shipping). I'll let you know how things work out. Amazon is still giving away the free shuffle, but the price is back up to $495 and no iTunes card included.

I miss having my Amazon Prime account with free 2-day shipping :(

Suri
6 Mar 2008, 10:17am
I got my 16GB Touch 2 weeks ago, AND LOVE IT!!! I would tell any one that has the cash to get one. DOnt wast your money on a 8GB though. If you are getting one it needs to be the 16 or 32.

Suri
6 Mar 2008, 10:29am
According to UPS tracking it will be arriving tomorrow before noon (I cheaped out and selected free shipping). I'll let you know how things work out. Amazon is still giving away the free shuffle, but the price is back up to $495 and no iTunes card included.

I miss having my Amazon Prime account with free 2-day shipping :(

I was able to find the 16 on Bestbuy.com for $375, and the price matched their own site in the store. SO no waiting for it. :)

Italian Jew
6 Mar 2008, 12:13pm
that's cuz Best Buy is leet!

They have in store pickup, which is why the online price should match the in-store price. W00t w00t!

Gotta love it

Suri
6 Mar 2008, 12:34pm
But their online price never matches their in store price. I find that tricky, and they will only match it if you have the online price printed from their site with you.

Italian Jew
6 Mar 2008, 01:38pm
Maybe its from store to store because the one back home typically has the same prices as online. Depends on the management suppose; those angry, fat, bald guys who decided engineering was lame. Ya know?

Walk in there with a fake online page...

"Honestly dude, the site said $50 for a new Xbox 360...LOOK!!!!!" XD

Zero001
6 Mar 2008, 10:46pm
I'm enjoying my iPod Touch. The 32GB model has 29.86GB of free space because of the Operating System and Apps installed on it. I'm really impressed at how smoothly and easily the touch screen works. It makes me wish I had a touch pad for my PC just like it. I'm looking into this program (http://lifehacker.com/363655/use-your-iphone-as-a-multi+touch-mouse-with-touchpad-pro). The screen size is good and typing things in is effortless. The sound is great and should get better when my new earphones arrive. If you can afford it, you'll enjoy it.

Suri
7 Mar 2008, 03:49pm
Zerro question for you. In the 2nd picture i believe show what i am going to ask. What the heck is the lil clear plastic thing for? I still dont know. :)

Zero001
7 Mar 2008, 11:11pm
Zerro question for you. In the 2nd picture i believe show what i am going to ask. What the heck is the lil clear plastic thing for? I still dont know. :)

I have no idea what that is. My first two thoughts were either a clip of some sort (maybe for headphones) or a tilt stand, but neither work. I'll try and figure it out.

Edit: I just figured out how to work it. It is a tilt stand so you can watch videos. Just turn the touch sideways a grasp the top part. I'll probably never use the thing, but it's nice to have it.

Suri
8 Mar 2008, 05:11pm
Thanks for let me know. I will test it out. But i did by a hardcase that goes around it, and that has a stand on it.

Zero001
10 Mar 2008, 07:40pm
I've been looking for a nice case along with a screen shield. I originally wanted a clear shell, like yours but they collect dust on the inside. I haven't made my decision, but I might go with a nice leather case.

If you're looking to jailbreak your iPhone or Touch, I suggest ziphone (http://www.ziphone.org/)
Just click download and follow the video instruction. I recommend that you extract the file in a new folder using winrar or 7zip. Then just click on the ziphinegui. It worked great on my 32GB and I just deleted the add-on link to their blog. It's really simple and theres a lot of really good and free applications for it. With the SDK out, I expect the quantity and quality of these apps to increase.

Jose
6 Apr 2008, 12:28am
first oof, i will never buy any a rotten apple product
why do you ask
1. Apple realeses a new version of all products really fast
2. WTF! they can charge you for firmware updates??? no way
3. they over price most oof their stuff

Jose
6 Apr 2008, 12:28am
sorry it double posted:cursing:

Saxe
6 Apr 2008, 05:57am
why do you ask

All technology gets old really fast, and how can you see this as a bad thing? That's the great thing about apple - innovation.

I wouldn't call it regular firmware, rather some software upgrades. And come on, 10$? It's not like you get the new windows for free, when you have the old one.

Apple might be slightly more expensive than other brands - but I would never call them overpriced, if you compare what you get when you buy apple products: Great design, quality hardware and software far superior to Microsofts.

Suri
6 Apr 2008, 06:04am
why do you ask

10 Bucks is nothing for what you are getting with the update. I was also one of these people that said " Apple sucks and i hate them", but then I had to use one for work. AND LOVE IT!!! Yes i cant really play all my games on it. But i will own a Mac from now on. And i LOVE my iPod Touch. So don't hate unless you have really tried one of their products.

Mammal
6 Apr 2008, 07:29am
Apple : Best MP3 + MP4 players and Oficce and business PCs.
Microsoft : Best Gaming PCs.