PDA

View Full Version : Fidel Castro Steps Down? WTF???

EvInReaLife
19 Feb 2008, 07:32pm
MEXICO CITY — Fidel Castro stepped down Tuesday morning as the president of Cuba after a long illness. The announcement was made in a letter to the nation written by Mr. Castro and published early Tuesday morning on the Web site of Granma

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/world/americas/20castro.html?ex=1219035600&en=b893f31a988eeaa3&ei=5087&excamp=GGGNcastro&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=GN-S-E-GG-NA-S-castro

O.o

Omega
19 Feb 2008, 07:33pm
what do you mean WTF? This was long overdue.

phatman76
19 Feb 2008, 07:37pm
It'll just get worse with Raul...

EvInReaLife
19 Feb 2008, 07:42pm
lol

Omega
19 Feb 2008, 07:45pm
Long overdue? It happened this morning lol

omg ev

Paladin
19 Feb 2008, 07:57pm
Ev, long overdue means it should've happened a long time ago.

Slavic
19 Feb 2008, 08:58pm
If I remember correctly Castro said that he was making plans to step down bout a year or two ago. I also believe he said something along the lines of his replacement going to be someone younger. So that the next president isn't apart of the revolution generation and has different out looks on Cuba.

LegalSmash
19 Feb 2008, 09:44pm
I hope he dies of a perforated liver. It couldnt have happened soon enough. Raul wont last I dont think...he is suspected to be a closet homosexual, which does not fly well with the cuban community. I am glad to see maybe things will change before my grandmother's generation is entirely gone.

The Commissar
20 Feb 2008, 04:17am
Im sorry, but the idea of someone being out into power chosen by castro.... one dictator for another.
And the whole idea of 'a new generation' of people who werent part of the revolution so arent succumbed to the same bias...bullshit.
Look at all the countries that have been in conflict with one another, it takes many generations for the rivalry and prejudice to subside.
Im very skeptical when a dictator subjugates onto a set candidate. Castro has spent his life moulding cuba into the way it is, i dont think he will let someone into power who will destroy his work with silly little things such as freedom and democracy.

thats my two cents, what u guys think?

MANFRA
20 Feb 2008, 09:51am
It'll just get worse with Raul...

I have to differ on this depending on one thing. Is Castro really alive or not.

He probably is alive, which means Raul is a puppet. But with alot of research and recent history of Raul, I think he is a closet capitalist. Yeah sure when he was younger fighting the revolution you can compare him to Che, but I think with all the years that have gone by, and Cuba being the depressed island in the middle of paradise he is realizing that Capitalism is the way to go. Just my thought.