PDA

View Full Version : The South Carolina "Subversive Activities Registration Act"

Shadowex3
4 Feb 2010, 09:39pm
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c029.htm

SECTION 23-29-10. Short title.

This chapter may be cited as the "Subversive Activities Registration Act."

SECTION 23-29-20. Definitions.

For the purposes of this chapter the following words, phrases and terms are defined as follows:

(1) "Subversive organization" means every corporation, society, association, camp, group, bund, political party, assembly, body or organization, composed of two or more persons, which directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States, of this State or of any political subdivision thereof by force or violence or other unlawful means;

(2) "Organization subject to foreign control" means every corporation, society, association, camp, group, bund, political party, assembly, body or other organization, composed of two or more persons, which comes within either of the following:

(a) it solicits or accepts financial contributions, loans or support of any kind directly or indirectly from, or is affiliated directly or indirectly with, a foreign government or a political subdivision thereof, an agent, agency or instrumentality of a foreign government or political subdivision thereof, a political party in a foreign country or an international political organization or

(b) its policies, or any of them, are determined by or at the suggestion of, or in collaboration with, a foreign government or political subdivision thereof, an agent, agency or instrumentality of a foreign government or a political subdivision thereof, a political party in a foreign country or an international political organization;

(3) "Foreign agent" means any person whose actions, or any of them, are determined by or at the suggestion of, or in collaboration with, a foreign government or political subdivision thereof, an instrumentality or agency of a foreign government or political subdivision thereof, a political party in a foreign country or an international political organization; and

(4) "Business" includes, but is not limited to, speaking engagements.

SECTION 23-29-30. Effect on freedom of press or speech.

Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to authorize, require or establish censorship or to limit in any way or infringe upon freedom of the press or of speech as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and no regulation shall be promulgated hereunder having that effect.

SECTION 23-29-40. Organizations exempt from application of chapter.

The terms of this chapter do not apply to any labor union or religious, fraternal or patriotic organization, society or association, or their members, whose objectives and aims do not contemplate the overthrow of the government of the United States, of this State or of any political subdivision thereof by force or violence or other unlawful means.

I like Section 23-29-30, nothing calms me down like hearing somebody say "Oh by the way this doesn't count as unconstitutional and won't be misused because this section says so. See? It says so!"

Also gotta love that carefully crafted exemptions section that removes the "South Will Rise Again" and "Kill Barack The Muslim Shock Hussein Oblackma!" whackos.

I'm reminded of the Alien and Sedition acts...

Delirium
4 Feb 2010, 09:58pm
23-29-20 = anti-ACORN?

Drox
4 Feb 2010, 11:24pm
So this law is against any organization that is against the Federal Government? and/or wishes/preach for its downfall by force or unlawful means?

Shadowex3
5 Feb 2010, 07:48am
Only in the state of South Carolina but basically yeah. The end-effect is a virtual copy of the Sedition act, basically as long as the govt thinks it can fit the target into the subversive category somehow they've got something to slap them with.

Considering how often governments (not just ours) send their own people in to protest groups to provide an excuse for cracking down on them (imminent violence, threats, non-peaceful behavior basically) I can see this easily fitting into the Will Not End Well category. Plus the very concept of a registration of anyone considered subversive by the government, even if it is just a state government, sickens me as an american and horrifies me as a jew. After all who else has been called a subversive foreign influence more often throughout history? Even the masons dont get it nearly so much.

Drox
5 Feb 2010, 09:41am
In a way its kinda surprising SC out of all of the southern states would make such such a law, but at the time same time not so much. People are alittle bit more outspoken in SC then in other places (from what I have seen anyway) when it comes to telling you what they would like to see happen to our government. However there was no need to make this law unless the state government had to actually fear such a thing happening, so who knows.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."- George Washington

/dev/null
9 Feb 2010, 09:00am
As a South Carolina resident I find this kind of odd. I didn't even know it existed.