PDA

View Full Version : I came

LegalSmash
28 Jan 2010, 05:27pm
This was a great post I missed while at work:

Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
wow. internet. serious business indeed.

you guys could sit there going on and on about how I'm stupid and my opinion and posts are shit. you could make posts that add nothing to the discussion of the topic of this thread, and only serve to derail it.

or you could be constructive, get back on topic, and explain to me why you disagree with my opinion. your choice.
You weren't backing up your opinion with anything. That's what the problem was. Simply stating "they were all on top" and "history repeats itself" doesn't amount to much because you were glazing over the topic. I can simply state that we are all going to die one day because living organisms eventually die. This is a pointless thing to discuss because it is obvious and doesn't bring any significant argument or discussion to the table. You could go into further detail besides the obvious line or two you can get from a tacky history class poster (which is what was mentioned earlier and avoided by you).

Seeing as how you aren't playing ball like you're supposed to....

The Roman Empire was in a vastly different situation as was Great Britain at their respective time periods (as briefly explained by Jager). There is a higher degree of international political maneuvering and involvement by the US not to mention completely different goals/necessities to achieve. There are different circumstances all across the board, so don't be miffed when I (and others) think that your correlation of "being on top" has anything to do with what is going to happen.

Just about every country on the planet is connected to others and depends upon others to sustain an increasing population and way of life. The fact is that if the US were to crash down as you so believe, the ENTIRE world would suffer in some way as it is one of the larger international hubs on the planet in terms of trade, economy, warfare, etc. If the US is to degrade dramatically, it is going to take nothing short of a devastating war or nuclear holocaust (if people survive) to cripple the way things are currently run.

If the US is going to lose power slowly, it is going to be in flux with China and/or India for the title as #1 superpower. Even if we fall behind, we won't be behind so much to the point where the US is no longer a strong nation that cannot keep up with foreign politics and trade. Our current technology permits even a degrading nation to participate and even control the fate of much of the world. Rome stopped caring about what made the Empire great (thanks to sloppy dictatorships and religious upheaval). Great Britain couldn't contend over the entire empire as whatever advantage it had could not be upheld at all places whenever it was needed.

The US isn't out conquering foreign lands and staying in them permanently. All that is happening is a spread of ideals and influence, not gains in land mass or sovereign power plays. The US has spent a better part of a century bailing countries out of shit storms, so our influence is felt worldwide. If there is a problem with the US, there tends to be a problem with much of the world. Since we have made so many "friends", I'd say there is a healthy understanding between the US and the world.

It was too easy to rule back hundreds and thousands of years ago. Less was at stake and lose-lose situations were not far reaching (US/Allies vs. China/Allies in WWIII doesn't bode well for the world). There is no power vacuum to be filled when the US goes as there likely won't be a planet left. No power vacuum, no rise to power from some nation, no new empire, and no new fall of said empire. It's just too much of a glazed over argument to say what you posted. It doesn't work for well established nations that have much political say in the world.

I will concede that it may have more relevance to developing nations in Africa as there is little to win besides land and power. One government over another in many African countries doesn't affect the world stage beyond involving the real powers (which is one caveat to it). In terms of the US, it is a no-no.

Now, if you have anymore of your over generalized poster slogans, please deposit them in the Off Topic section.

Determined2Win
28 Jan 2010, 05:41pm
You and your misleading titles -_-

Upon completion of reading, I just have one thing to say.

- China v. US of A would be lolztastic, would they throw people at us?

LegalSmash
28 Jan 2010, 05:52pm
that or MSG

Drox
29 Jan 2010, 06:54pm
Im guessing this is a reply to this thread;

http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29869

Prez
29 Jan 2010, 10:26pm
Very nice post you have there.

Also, sheriff is a faggot.

LegalSmash
29 Jan 2010, 10:29pm
I work later now and am renovating my house, so I've not been on much, but christ on a cross that kid went off deep end peer # 3.

Acipere
30 Jan 2010, 04:04pm
I agree SMG fucked us up badly.