PDA

View Full Version : NIU Shooting

Omega
15 Feb 2008, 01:37am
Six shot dead, including gunman in Northern Illinois University shooting (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html)

FFS... this has hit a little too close to home.

LegalSmash
15 Feb 2008, 07:16am
Have they determined who it was yet?

EvInReaLife
15 Feb 2008, 08:39am
Yea, they said it was a

DEKALB, Ill. - Florida authorities and a university source on Friday identified the suspect in the Northern Illinois University slayings as 27-year-old former student Steven Kazmierczak.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567?GT1=10856

So you can read up more on it.

4th shooting at an american school in less than week

School violence has been escalating recently.

Itch
15 Feb 2008, 08:52am
Yea, they said it was a

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567?GT1=10856

So you can read up more on it.

4th shooting at an american school in less than week

School violence has been escalating recently.

I work at a school.. Why do you think I have a concealed carry permit!

Paladin
15 Feb 2008, 09:14am
Christ, So many people are going to drop out or not go to College just for fear of another school shooting hitting them...

LegalSmash
15 Feb 2008, 11:53am
Yea, Watch the IQ scores tumble now. Im amazed this hasnt happened at an ivy league

Super Nublet
15 Feb 2008, 12:49pm
Do you guys think students should be allowed to carry concealed firearms on campus?

I thought about it for a while now and I take it as this. You don't hear much about school or other public shootings in rural communities where people grow up with guns and almost everyone has one if not on them, then in their car or nearby. Also, don't see much shootings in Texas where carrying a weapon unconcealed is allowed. An armed citizen is a force to be reckoned with. One thinks twice about pulling a piece when he/she can get five pointed at him/her within 5 seconds. However an armed person among non-armed has potential of a wolf among sheep. So that takes care of the daily life, however college campus is different.

College campus has students from all over, some come from normal families, some don't. Some know how to handle guns, some don't. Some even already served in the military. Some already did time in jail. The implied variety of the student body is way different from a relative conformity of the established community, thus the behavior is less predictable. Therefore I don't think regular students should be allowed to pack, but I do believe that a trained, checked, mobile student body with arms should be in place.

Also I think that schools/college campuses should have metal detectors in place, and MORE School Police Officers. And that should cut down on school shootings.

SOLANUM
15 Feb 2008, 12:49pm
I dont live to far from there. Whats up with all the shootings in the past year? There have been 4 i think,thats 4 too many.

Sol:v_SPIN:

Itch
15 Feb 2008, 12:57pm
Do you guys think students should be allowed to carry concealed firearms on campus?

I thought about it for a while now and I take it as this. You don't hear much about school or other public shootings in rural communities where people grow up with guns and almost everyone has one if not on them, then in their car or nearby. Also, don't see much shootings in Texas where carrying a weapon unconcealed is allowed. An armed citizen is a force to be reckoned with. One thinks twice about pulling a piece when he/she can get five pointed at him/her within 5 seconds. However an armed person among non-armed has potential of a wolf among sheep. So that takes care of the daily life, however college campus is different.

College campus has students from all over, some come from normal families, some don't. Some know how to handle guns, some don't. Some even already served in the military. Some already did time in jail. The implied variety of the student body is way different from a relative conformity of the established community, thus the behavior is less predictable. Therefore I don't think regular students should be allowed to pack, but I do believe that a trained, checked, mobile student body with arms should be in place.

Also I think that schools/college campuses should have metal detectors in place, and MORE School Police Officers. And that should cut down on school shootings.

The University I work at tried to ban all guns on campus and ended up dropping the case when it looked like they were going to lose in the State supreme court. It looked like they would be able to ban students from carrying only if they provided Gun lockers at every building for students to lock up their guns. The cost alone made it unreasonable. You also can't effectively put metal detectors on an open campus. It's not like there is a fence around most campus's. Even if there were it would be very easy to get around.

People who obtain the permits legally and are taking the effort to abide by the laws, and are almost never the ones you hear about on the news. Many of the school shootings are done with illegally obtained guns. I'm all for a screening process but don't think banning guns would stop something like this.. All it would do is prevent people from defending themselves when this kind of shit goes down.

That's just my 2 cents.

Omega
15 Feb 2008, 01:00pm

Concealed carry is banned in Illinois, let alone on campus.

Itch
15 Feb 2008, 01:04pm
Look, if someone finds theirself in a robbery or similar situation and the victim/witness has a weapon that they are holding, they are more likely to be shot than without one.

If you don't have the balls to use the weapon in self defense, then of course you shouldn't carry one.

I have personal experience where a concealed weapon saved a friends life.

SOLANUM
15 Feb 2008, 01:56pm
Wow,i looked at Wikipedia at school related shootings,there have been more than 8 in the last year alone.

EvInReaLife
15 Feb 2008, 03:12pm
Wow,i looked at Wikipedia at school related shootings,there have been more than 8 in the last year alone.

Yea i noticed that also

VirDeBello
15 Feb 2008, 03:20pm
Six shot dead, including gunman in Northern Illinois University shooting (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html)

FFS... this has hit a little too close to home.

When did this happen?

broncoty
15 Feb 2008, 04:01pm
Look, if someone finds theirself in a robbery or similar situation and the victim/witness has a weapon that they are holding, they are more likely to be shot than without one.

And also, you're not the only ones to have public shootings. Over here are two of the worst ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_Massacre

P.S. Apologies, Itch. The statistic interpreters obviously forgot to take into account the tsunami of testosterone.

Obviously your gun ban is working then right havok?

Also, the vast majority deaths caused by private guns are accidental, its the same with a vehicle, should they be banned?

a good vid of what ccw can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AA_dgRdDhk&feature=related

Desu
15 Feb 2008, 10:53pm
Im definately getting a gun, and if it's possible i won't conceal it. Maybe this schizoids will fuck off? And yeah you don't hear about these things in Texas cause everyone has a gun down there. If anyone sees someone going for a gun they'll have 4 or 5 pointing at them within a second

phatman76
15 Feb 2008, 11:43pm
Partial gun control is ultimately useless, if someone really wants to shoot a place up it isn't hard or dangerous to get a deadly weapon illicitly. However, that does not mean having a gun is going to help you. Frankly, I'd rather have the money I would spend on a gun be put into hiring a cop or guard, someone who is familiar with actually using a deadly weapon on other people.

I also like the idea of gun manufacturers putting say, a certain chip into new guns that lets them be shut off automatically on say, a school campus or anywhere but a firing range or your own home or a hunting ground. Not unconstitutional. Of course, cops and whatnot would not be so restricted. That will never happen in the near future, of course.

maybe just give everyone a tazer, zap those crazies up :arghh:

Arc
16 Feb 2008, 01:28am
Partial gun control is ultimately useless, if someone really wants to shoot a place up it isn't hard or dangerous to get a deadly weapon illicitly. However, that does not mean having a gun is going to help you. Frankly, I'd rather have the money I would spend on a gun be put into hiring a cop or guard, someone who is familiar with actually using a deadly weapon on other people.

I also like the idea of gun manufacturers putting say, a certain chip into new guns that lets them be shut off automatically on say, a school campus or anywhere but a firing range or your own home or a hunting ground. Not unconstitutional. Of course, cops and whatnot would not be so restricted. That will never happen in the near future, of course.

maybe just give everyone a tazer, zap those crazies up :arghh:

How long would it be before illegal non-chipped guns (and not to mention the remaining millions of guns) get into the hands of criminals? If they want it badly enough they're going to find a way.

I say we deal with root of this problem, the people. We need to pay more attention to the signs that someone might go apeshit and shoot up a place. It surprises me that people are so quickly to blame guns when it is the person that is the problem.

Omega
16 Feb 2008, 12:04pm
When did this happen?

Maybe check the date on the article..?

Here's the mug of the shooter:
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/US/02/15/university.shooting/art.niu.shooter.ap.jpg
Proper polak...

Also, it seems that he used the same dealer to acquire his weapons that the VaTech shooter used to get his.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/15/university.shooting/index.html