PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Decade

Tomathon
30 Dec 2009, 11:54am
What is your game of the decade???

Smurftan
31 Dec 2009, 07:33am
Mass Effect

To me, it'd have to be Mass Effect. At first I was skeptical, then one day I decided to just give it a try and I found out what I had been missing. Cain't wait for ME2 to come out next month. :)

Resistance
31 Dec 2009, 08:42am
Counter Strike: Source :smile:

Delirium
31 Dec 2009, 10:06am
Def. has to be something that redefined gaming.

umm....

Halo?

NormandyAlive
31 Dec 2009, 10:43am
Halo: Combat Evolved and Kotor.

My Favorite games when i was younger.

McCallum
31 Dec 2009, 11:02am
Halo: Combat Evolved.

RaDiuM
31 Dec 2009, 11:11am
GTA sa

Sexy Fish
31 Dec 2009, 11:20am
Metal Gear Solid 3.

Josh
31 Dec 2009, 12:03pm
You have to give this to Halo or WoW. Both revolutionized gaming in mass appeal.

Tomathon
31 Dec 2009, 01:08pm
anyone think Call of Duty 2 or even COD4, probably CSS tho :madgrin:

HankTheTank
31 Dec 2009, 01:08pm
Mine would be either Diablo II: Lord of destruction.

Or.

Left 4 dead / Left 4 dead 2

Runski
31 Dec 2009, 03:04pm
Dead Space or Warcraft III maybe even CS:S

Mercy
31 Dec 2009, 03:51pm
half life 2

Bob Loblaw
31 Dec 2009, 04:17pm
I only really play cs:s and sometimes halo. So for me I would say cs:s, but as people have said halo revolutionized games.. So overall probably halo.

Phonicz
31 Dec 2009, 05:01pm
CSS :) and BF2 :)

Bad Dog
31 Dec 2009, 05:08pm
Honestly WoW. It revolutionized MMO's multiple ways, is still going strong and personally ate up about..3 years of my life.

Hazmat
31 Dec 2009, 06:51pm
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

darth jacen
31 Dec 2009, 07:29pm
KOTOR, or Silent Hill 2 (greatest story/atmosphere)

Lefty
31 Dec 2009, 08:17pm
Warcraft III, changed my life

ReGIONALS
31 Dec 2009, 08:37pm
first halo
wow
half life 2
garrysmod

Mercy
31 Dec 2009, 09:09pm
there was a poll btw, which game was better hl2 or wow and hl2 had like 50.2% while wow was at 49.8 so hl2 took the first lol

Bad Dog
31 Dec 2009, 09:52pm
there was a poll btw, which game was better hl2 or wow and hl2 had like 50.2% while wow was at 49.8 so hl2 took the first lol

50.2% is not 98%, your arguement is invalid.

Prez
1 Jan 2010, 12:56am
Oh man, this is a hard one.

It wouldn't be able to be defined as just "Game of the Decade". It would need to be split into "Best graphics", "Best FPS", "Best Storyline", "Best Fun-Factor", "Most Original", "One that Redefined Gaming the most", and "Most long-standing popular game".

I think those would fit each, although I can't think off the top of my head for each.

If I REALLY had to pick one game, it would have to be Counter Strike: Source. It's fun, moddable, popular, and you don't get bored.

yardy
1 Jan 2010, 07:17am
Gothic :)

Dannen
1 Jan 2010, 10:53am
Call of Duty 4
It jumped out of the WW2 trend and started it's own experience on IW's new engine. A lot of people were skeptical until they were pulled into the games incredible multi-player and single-player experience. Game of it's year, game of the decade.

Tomathon
1 Jan 2010, 04:44pm
Dannen i agree with you but not sure if it beats CS:S?

PingPong
1 Jan 2010, 08:31pm
Pong.

LegalSmash
2 Jan 2010, 12:37am
Diablo 2 2000.

[AP3X.]
2 Jan 2010, 03:45am
Cod:Mw2 or Css :)

The Famous Zombie Hunter
2 Jan 2010, 05:12am
Cod:Mw2 or Css :)

I 2nd that.

Tomathon
2 Jan 2010, 11:18am
Load of good mentions, thanks for everyone that replyed!

Mikey
2 Jan 2010, 12:43pm
i'd say WoW CSS and GTA

xoul
3 Jan 2010, 03:29pm
ha halo was alright but i rather play GoW

yardy
3 Jan 2010, 03:57pm
CSS/Half-Life: opposing force :)

CookiemonstaJr
3 Jan 2010, 05:14pm
CSS/Cod4

Jazzyy
3 Jan 2010, 05:51pm
i dont understand how cs:s is the game of the decade, all it did was reinvent cs1.# and made it look better with a engine that the turtle rock didn't even make.
anyway, id have to say hl2 considering the fact it was the shit and because of what the guys down at valve made it into be, spawned mods galore all over the world.

mw2 couldve been cool if they werent such dicks to us pc gamers

b0red
3 Jan 2010, 06:33pm
Counter Strike Source takes the cake.

XeNo
3 Jan 2010, 07:36pm
You have to give this to Halo or WoW. Both revolutionized gaming in mass appeal.
What the hell is up with you guys saying WoW revolutionized gaming? Lmao.

Obviously some of you have never played any other MMO other than WoW, WoW has such a huge following because of the Warcraft fans, it is not because it's a revolutionary MMO.

They had mass funding from their previous Warcraft games and Diablo 2 that they had the money to expand a MMO universe 10 times that of other MMO's, other than this, they did not 'revolutionize' anything.

I've seen MMO's with more content but less expansive area's than WoW, easily. They're for free, too. WoW's skill structure is pathetic, really, it's auto statted and relies on 'talents' which claim everyone will be different, but in the end you see the same type of player everywhere. The customization of WoW is a piece of crap, in the end there's always 10 other people with the same gear or same dps as you.

CS:S is a remake of 1.6, so it didn't revolutionize anything, HOWEVER, it has to be up there with one of the best games in sense of massive content and replayability.

Edit:
I'd have to say L4D/L4D2, it revolutionized Zombie games.

Bad Dog
3 Jan 2010, 07:39pm

Obviously some of you have never played any other MMO other than WoW, WoW has such a huge following because of the Warcraft fans, it is not because it's a revolutionary MMO.

They had mass funding from their previous Warcraft games and Diablo 2 that they had the money to expand a MMO universe 10 times that of other MMO's, other than this, they did not 'revolutionize' anything.

I've seen MMO's with more content but less expansive area's than WoW, easily. They're for free, too. WoW's skill structure is pathetic, really, it's auto statted and relies on 'talents' which claim everyone will be different, but in the end you see the same type of player everywhere. The customization of WoW is a piece of crap, in the end there's always 10 other people with the same gear or same dps as you.

CS:S is a remake of 1.6, so it didn't revolutionize anything, HOWEVER, it has to be up there with one of the best games in sense of massive content and replayability.

I still cant bring myself to play any other MMO. WoW is easily the most accesible MMO and looks the best. Maybe WoW didnt revolutionize MMos but it certainly brought them to the mainstream public.

XeNo
3 Jan 2010, 07:50pm
I still cant bring myself to play any other MMO. WoW is easily the most accesible MMO and looks the best. Maybe WoW didnt revolutionize MMos but it certainly brought them to the mainstream public.
That's debatable, though.

Bringing them to mainstream public I agree. However, looking the best is debatable, Blizzard made it look the way it does so it would work on older computers, as well as appeal to children and most adults alike, however, graphic wise it is not that great. It has bright color and cool effects and design, but it's graphics are crap.

Bad Dog
3 Jan 2010, 08:15pm
That's debatable, though.

Bringing them to mainstream public I agree. However, looking the best is debatable, Blizzard made it look the way it does so it would work on older computers, as well as appeal to children and most adults alike, however, graphic wise it is not that great. It has bright color and cool effects and design, but it's graphics are crap.

Compare them to recent MMOs: Warhammer and Age of Conan.
WoW's graphics beat out both of them by a long shot. I just think that in the MMO market WoW is unmatched graphics wise. I mean compared to Gears of War or Uncharted 2 they suck but I cant even play other MMOs because their graphics are just too bad.

XeNo
3 Jan 2010, 08:26pm
Compare them to recent MMOs: Warhammer and Age of Conan.
WoW's graphics beat out both of them by a long shot. I just think that in the MMO market WoW is unmatched graphics wise. I mean compared to Gears of War or Uncharted 2 they suck but I cant even play other MMOs because their graphics are just too bad.
Most MMO's that appear mainstream aren't that great.

You're talking mainstream MMO market...right? You'd have to be. Mainstream MMO's aren't comparable. If you were to go to Asia, say Japan, you'd see advertisements for MMO's that have graphics that blow WoW out of the water.

Many free MMO's are those of from overseas that get translated or ported for US, and sponsor a Cash Shop system to survive rather than monthly payments, reason for this? Because it makes more money for less players.

I personally know people who have played MMO's with me before that have a cash shop system, that they will spend a thousand dollars A WEEK on the cash shop, trust fund babies nonetheless, those MMO's make a ton of money that they don't need mainstream advertising and monthly payments to survive.

I personally, do not like Asian MMO's as I enjoy graphics like WoW's, where it's bright colors and a bit childish but still cool looking. However, I'm not so ignorant as to say the Asian MMO's I have seen have amazing graphics, they're just not my thing. (See AION for a mainstream example.)

AION beats WoW in graphics, but not in content or expansive-ness.

Bad Dog
3 Jan 2010, 09:29pm

You're talking mainstream MMO market...right? You'd have to be. Mainstream MMO's aren't comparable. If you were to go to Asia, say Japan, you'd see advertisements for MMO's that have graphics that blow WoW out of the water.

Many free MMO's are those of from overseas that get translated or ported for US, and sponsor a Cash Shop system to survive rather than monthly payments, reason for this? Because it makes more money for less players.

I personally know people who have played MMO's with me before that have a cash shop system, that they will spend a thousand dollars A WEEK on the cash shop, trust fund babies nonetheless, those MMO's make a ton of money that they don't need mainstream advertising and monthly payments to survive.

I personally, do not like Asian MMO's as I enjoy graphics like WoW's, where it's bright colors and a bit childish but still cool looking. However, I'm not so ignorant as to say the Asian MMO's I have seen have amazing graphics, they're just not my thing. (See AION for a mainstream example.)

Granted Aions graphics do surpass WoW's, but again you could argue its a style preference. I too am not fond of cash shop mmo's, as I enjoy MMOs with depth and usually they have none.

Josh
3 Jan 2010, 09:48pm

Edit:
I'd have to say L4D/L4D2, it revolutionized Zombie games.

notice how i said "in mass appeal"

I personally feel that there are many mmo's out there better than WoW and they are way more revolutionary or "gutsy".

Drox
4 Jan 2010, 02:56am
lol too many games I liked in the last 10 years for me to just choose one, but if I had to say a universal game of the decade based off sales and whatnot. It would probably be WoW even tho I dont play it anymore, it controlled most of the last 5 years of the MMO market which is impressing.

That is intill Star wars: the old republic comes out in the next year or so. ;)

Psyche
4 Jan 2010, 04:59am
HL2

Jazzyy
4 Jan 2010, 06:40am
actually, i just remembered my game of the decade and if any of you think it's a bad choice, you can go fuck yourself.

prince of persia: sands of time, although there was pop3d i dont think that had shit worth a storyline, pop: sot was amazing in everyway.

Tomathon
4 Jan 2010, 09:35am
Thanks for everyone that had a mention. If someone wants to pm me a shortlist of games and i will make a vote?

Zealot
5 Jan 2010, 10:20am
My personal list:

Wc3 - Been playing Blizzard games since I was 8, making that 11 years ago.
CS:S - No questions asked
Fallout 3 - Really hated RPG's until I picked this up and racked up over 300 hours on it so far.
L4D - Really probably the best zombie game to ever come out.
Torchlight - Would be there but I got it in 2010 even though it was made in '09. Didn't think I would like it and yet I have 11 hours in 2 days.

James
5 Jan 2010, 10:57am
Command and Conquer Red alert 2; simply because it was the last of westwood studios' series games that wasn't plagued by EA games, and was hilariously comic

Tomathon
23 Jan 2010, 04:45am
admin can close thread

BOOWY
23 Jan 2010, 03:36pm

I work at a free MMO publishing studio and I've seen the payment records first hand, this is a fact. I will say that free MMOs are fucking terrible and I will never for the life of me understand why anyone plays them. I sat there with one of the games that we publish and within my first hour of playing it(not voluntarily), I was falling asleep in my chair... and this is a game where one of the servers doesn't have a single character at the level cap even though the server has been up under our control for at least a year and we imported character data from old publishers.

Crimson
23 Jan 2010, 09:46pm
Mass Effect or Fable 2.

timekiller
26 Jan 2010, 01:49pm
kingdom hearts! best game ever

Italian Jew
26 Jan 2010, 02:03pm
kingdom hearts! best game ever

Swinging a key with a lame excuse for a story...best game ever?

"Something something something...DARKNESS!"
"Something something dark darkness something power"
"Something something something you're never alone"
*OMG A DISNEY CHARACTER*
"Something something darkness"